General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Have you used the BT HIM Plan? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-01-24 6:54 AM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Subject: Have you used the BT HIM Plan?

So here's the $64,000 question, I imported the 20 week HIM plan that is, well, a little more meatier than the beginner plan, but certainly not the "intermediate"plan.  I think it's only available to Silver and up.

But as I peruse the plan, it looks like you only get a day off every other week. (The only true hitch in the giddyup for me is I tend to have trouble doing 2-a-days and end up lopping one workout to the built in day off of most plans)

My question is for those who've used the BEGINNER 20 Week HIM plan and generally categorize themselves as BOPers or back of MOPers.

This is my FIRST HIM, (4th season, a couple Olys under my belt) and needless to say I'm a bit nervous. 

The whole thing is so mental for me that I wanted to push myself versus doing the minimum just to get by. 

Just looking for some opinions from those who've used either plan.

Thanks!!

2009-01-24 7:09 AM
in reply to: #1926537

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
Subject: RE: Have you used the BT HIM Plan?

I used the Beginner HIM plan last year for my first.  I probably ended up doing 70% of the total number of workouts... the only workouts I made sure not to miss were the long runs or bikes.  I finished in 5:55, my goal was sub-6.  I am definitely a BOMOPer, or FOBOPer.

From looking at your goals, you list a number of intermediate goals, each which "Failed" after it.  My suggestion is to set yourself up for success with your HIM training and choose a reasonable plan that you can commit to.  Also, the 20-week plan you are considering says that you ought to have built a 7-10 hour/week base, for a few months, and your graphs show that you're not quite there.

For me, doing the Beginner HIM plan was more than adequate, and I missed a fair amount of it like I said.  I'd recommend that to you as well. 

eta: Oh, and good luck with whatever plan you decide on!! 

Edited by newleaf 2009-01-24 7:19 AM
2009-01-24 8:55 AM

User image

Master
NJ
I used the free HIM plan last year and did most of the workouts. Maybe missed 1 or 2 a month and finished in 6:28 - wanted under 6:30.  It was fine and I felt fine on the bike even though the longest ride was 3 hrs. During the race I could've gone longer and that was the only part I was worried about. 
2009-01-24 9:30 AM

User image

Master
Elm Grove
I used the free HIM plan as well for my first HIM last year.  Missed a couple of workouts due to PF and life in general but stuck to it as much as I could.  I also added a coupe of extra long rides just because.  My goal was 5:30 and ended up with a 5:20.  I think it was a great plan.
2009-01-24 10:00 AM
in reply to: #1926550

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, Michigan

Hey thanks for all that!

NewLeaf - I think maybe I'll switch up to the beginner plan if the first couple weeks are looking too daunting-- I'm fairly confident, just nervous, as I hung on with almost 100% commitment to the 12 Week Oly plan on BT earlier in '08 but  the fall was rather a disaster for me! The balance of '08 was rather personally devastating for me hence all the "failed" goals ....

I appreciate all the confidence though that you all have in the plans here to succesfully complete a HIM!

Edited by travljini 2009-01-24 10:01 AM
2009-01-24 10:48 AM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan

Andrea I can't believe we haven't met yet, hopefully things workout and the wife and I will make it to Matt's trainerfest next weekend.

I used the Silver 20 week HIM program last year for my first HIM.  I added rest days when things at work were busy, and actually missed 15 to 17 days of tri training in May due to a two week FEMA collapse course for my rescue team that was switched from fall to spring at the last minute.  I was physically and mentally drained when I finished that in May and thought my HIM was over with and out the window, but was able to build up the training over a few weeks and followed the plan the best I could.

It does start out with quite a bit of training and I built into it and was training for the Martian half mary with it too.  Overall it's a great program I would've been happy breaking 6 hours and thought I was going to slow during training not to mention I thought I was going mad during the taper, come race day in tough conditions I did 5:30 and felt completely ready and strong through out the race.  I even managed to keep a smile on my face and enjoy the race up into the sun started baking me half way through the run.  The program will have you more then ready come race day.

The only reason I'm not using the BT IM program this year is that the program from "Be Iron Fit" fits better with my schedule, I just hope the results are similar come Nov 7.

Good luck with whatever program you choose.

See ya next Saturday

Steve

2009-01-24 3:00 PM
in reply to: #1926764

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, Michigan
rottieguy - 2009-01-24 11:48 AM

Andrea I can't believe we haven't met yet, hopefully things workout and the wife and I will make it to Matt's trainerfest next weekend. 

I KNOW!!  2009 is all about change for me ;-)  I let a few family members suck me dry balance of  '08, so it's all about me now -- in a good way I mean.

Good to hear about your success with the plan. 

Mr. TravlJini is out of the country, so I'll definitely be there. Ironically the plan calls for 2 hr trainer ride so Matt's TrainerFest will work out nicely to kick start the program!

Looking forward to meeting another MI BTer!

2009-01-25 11:38 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Pick a plan you can reasonably stick to.  I (loosely) followed the Intermediate HIM plan in 2006 for Steelhead.  Didn't quite hit my goals, but again, I didn't follow the plan as closely as I needed to, and I got the finish time I trained for. 
2009-01-25 3:09 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
travljini - 2009-01-24 6:54 AM

So here's the $64,000 question, I imported the 20 week HIM plan that is, well, a little more meatier than the beginner plan, but certainly not the "intermediate"plan. I think it's only available to Silver and up.

But as I peruse the plan, it looks like you only get a day off every other week. (The only true hitch in the giddyup for me is I tend to have trouble doing 2-a-days and end up lopping one workout to the built in day off of most plans)

My question is for those who've used the BEGINNER 20 Week HIM plan and generally categorize themselves as BOPers or back of MOPers.

This is my FIRST HIM, (4th season, a couple Olys under my belt) and needless to say I'm a bit nervous.

The whole thing is so mental for me that I wanted to push myself versus doing the minimum just to get by.

Just looking for some opinions from those who've used either plan.

Thanks!!

My boyfriend used the beginner HIM plan from BT last year to train for his first HIM. He is a MOPer to a BOPer.

His name is Jbrashear (you can find him via my Log). Send him a message directly as he doesn't look in this forum.
2009-01-26 8:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Rota, Spain
I am currently using the free HIM plan and it seems to be quite reasonable as far as training time.  I knew going in that I would have to apply a lot more hours and I think this will fit in nicely.  I just hope when I miss a day (as will happen due to military life) that I don't get side-tracked and try to make it up somehow...
2009-01-26 11:46 AM

User image

Ferndale, MI
Another perspective on the BT Beginner 20 Week HIM plan.

My strengths are the swim and the bike, and I was worried about the run from day one. My one goal was to RUN the entire 1/2 mary.

I couldn't do it. I don't think the training plan provided enough run base, especially for a slow runner (since it goes by time).

I believe the longest run the plan had me do was 2 hrs. I'm a ten minute miler in a stand alone 1/2 mary, so it just wasn't enough for me. I probably walked most of the "run" after mile 8.

Now, the fact that I did Steelhead last year (which ended up as a du with extra running added) probably didn't help, but I honestly don't know if I could have run the whole thing even without those extra run miles at the beginning.

This year, I'll make sure to ride at least 4 hours (I finished under 3 at Steelhead) and run at least 2.5 hours for my longest workouts. I really want to meet my goal this year, and feel good doing it.

Good luck with whichever plan you choose!

2009-01-26 3:15 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

I did the "beginner" HIM plan 2x last year, so this year I've upgraded to the silver level one you're talking about (starting it TODAY, actually).  I upgraded because I think I would get bored doing the same plan for the 3rd time, and I also wanted a little more plan detail.

It does start a bit ahead of where the beginner one did, which I'm a little worried about since the first 5 weeks I will be finishing up Marathon training.

I think, for me, if I can be diligent about the bike I will be fine. I will obviously have a great running base from the Marathon, and swimming is my strength. Crossing my fingers that it will all work out

2009-01-27 2:18 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
This is my first week on the beginner plan as I am 20 weeks out from Boise 70.3. I have never used a plan like this before but my training last year was similar in intensity. Maybe not quite as many multi-workout days. The drills and focus points are great.

I probably changed about 20% of the plan though to fit my schedule and cater to my weeknesses and preferences for what I feel are best for me. Regardless one is much better off with a structured roadmap that is well thought out.
2009-01-29 8:07 PM
in reply to: #1929219

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, Michigan

rasher76 - 2009-01-26 12:46 PM Another perspective on the BT Beginner 20 Week HIM plan. My strengths are the swim and the bike, and I was worried about the run from day one. My one goal was to RUN the entire 1/2 mary. I couldn't do it. I don't think the training plan provided enough run base, especially for a slow runner (since it goes by time). I believe the longest run the plan had me do was 2 hrs. I'm a ten minute miler in a stand alone 1/2 mary, so it just wasn't enough for me. I probably walked most of the "run" after mile 8. Now, the fact that I did Steelhead last year (which ended up as a du with extra running added) probably didn't help, but I honestly don't know if I could have run the whole thing even without those extra run miles at the beginning. This year, I'll make sure to ride at least 4 hours (I finished under 3 at Steelhead) and run at least 2.5 hours for my longest workouts. I really want to meet my goal this year, and feel good doing it. Good luck with whichever plan you choose!

I appreciate your comments because I do plan to beef up the run portion of the program myself.  I'm not at all worried about the swim, I was freaked out about the bike but think a couple good 4 hour stints will solidify my confidence, but like you, want to run the 1/2 mary -- even if it's a slow pace.  So I'm more or less incorporating a 1/2 mary program into the BT Beginner HIM plan.

Thanks again!!!

2009-01-30 12:11 PM
in reply to: #1936705

User image

Ferndale, MI
Incorporating a 1/2 mary plan is a great idea. I think I may do the same for my training!

Good luck, and maybe I'll see you around (I'm in SE MI, too).
2009-01-31 6:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeastern Michigan

Thanks for starting this thread.  What HIM are you training for?

I am thinking of using the silver HIM training plan to train for Steelhead.  That is one of the crazier ideas I have had this year (it is early in the year though...)

2009-02-04 6:59 PM
in reply to: #1938645

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Bronwyn1968 - 2009-01-31 7:56 AM

I am thinking of using the silver HIM training plan to train for Steelhead.  That is one of the crazier ideas I have had this year (it is early in the year though...)

Bronwyn:
I backed down to the "Beginner" 20 week HIM plan.  I originally had chosen the HIM plan that was a step up, but the first couple weeks looked pretty meaty. I reviewed the details of the plan, and after some advice here, and given my poor fall/winter track record, I thought I didn't want to demoralize myself.

I'm well into week 2 and am very happy because I'm adding runs -- not a lot mind you -- but at least mentally and physiaclly I feel good.  I anticipate it to be a totally do-able plan that will equip me to finish Boise in good form.

I see you're a Michigander, too!  Maybe we'll meet up soon at one of these crazy trainer fests!!

Andrea

2009-02-04 8:23 PM
in reply to: #1946091

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeastern Michigan
travljini - 2009-02-04 7:59 PM
Bronwyn1968 - 2009-01-31 7:56 AM

Bronwyn:
I backed down to the "Beginner" 20 week HIM plan.  I originally had chosen the HIM plan that was a step up, but the first couple weeks looked pretty meaty. I reviewed the details of the plan, and after some advice here, and given my poor fall/winter track record, I thought I didn't want to demoralize myself.

I'm well into week 2 and am very happy because I'm adding runs -- not a lot mind you -- but at least mentally and physiaclly I feel good.  I anticipate it to be a totally do-able plan that will equip me to finish Boise in good form.

I see you're a Michigander, too!  Maybe we'll meet up soon at one of these crazy trainer fests!!

Andrea

I was worried about getting the biking in on the silver HIM plan...I may combine the beginner and the silver ones.  

Since you are ahead of me, will you let me know how things go?  I will have to look up your background.  I have a running background but have never done a tri.  I enjoy putting myself in tough situations...so this is right up my alley!

Michigan.  Yep.  I will be around.  I live in Fair Haven so I miss out on some of the west side activities due to the distance.  

2009-02-07 7:08 PM

User image

Regular
Katy, TX
I second the "Thank You" for this thread. I'm giving *serious* thought to doing a HIM in October, which gives me until June to build my base up to the necessary level. I went back and forth on which HIM plan to use, both have components that will be challenging (timing and schedule are my biggest concern.

I'm glad to see that several have been successful with the plan in the past.
2009-02-08 12:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New York

Here is a third thank you for this thread.  My HIM training begins in March 1 for Musselman, and I, too, have been going back and forth. 

I printed out both plans, and it seems to me that while the silver plan is very bike heavy right from the start, the beg. plan has very little biking even in the later weeks of the program.  I was thinking of using the silver plan, but cutting back the bike for the first couple of months (i.e. instead of a 4.5 hr ride a 3 hour ride, or shortening the long ride but adding minutes to a shorter ride during the week.)  Once May hits, I should be able to do the plan as is, but for the early weeks it is just too much.

I'll be eager to see how everyone's training is progressing (and if you still have a life outside of it!)

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Have you used the BT HIM Plan? Rss Feed