Disney
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 07m 50s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Went to expo on Saturday with Shannon (thegoddess) and walked around. We met up with Tim (Condorman) for a bit and then headed back to the hotel for a nap and then early dinner. I got everything set, but I didn't bring any e-caps with me. I had Nuun tablets with me but I wasn't sure how I was going to use those during a marathon. Electrolyte replacement was going to be interesting given the humid conditions for Sunday. My other real problem is the fact that I had no real motivation to run this marathon for some reason. I knew ahead of time that I wasn't going to PR and as a result I just wasn't feeling it.
Event warmup:

Up at the crack of A$$ dawn for the short drive to the start. The humidity was already in the 90's this early in the morning and I knew that would be a problem later in the day. Shannon and I walked around for a bit and I finally decided to head towards the start around 5:30. Shannon's plan was to look for me at mile 2+, then in the Magic Kingdom at mile 10, then finally at the finish.
Run
  • 4h 07m 50s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

I got to the start and still had no motivation to run. The fireworks went off and we were moving forward. Almost immediately I bumped (literally) into Q, Tri Take me Away, and Betsy. I said a very quick hello and continued on my way. The plan was to run 8:30's for the first half and take things from there. Within 2 miles or so I was already sweating pretty good and I knew proper hydration would be key. It was nice seeing Shannon at mile 2. I gave her a high 5 and pushed along. Running through Epcot was nice as the park was lit up and the sky was still dark. Normally I don't do great with sport drinks, but since I didn't have too many other e-replacement options I gave the powerade a try right from the early water stops. Nothing of note until the Magic Kingdom where I saw Shannon once again with her signs. I hit the half way point at 1:55 and my goal was an easy 3:50 marathon. At this point all systems felt fine and I didn't see any signs of the wheels coming off. Right around mile 16 trouble started to pop up. At that point my stomach had enough of sport drinks so e-replacement was going to be interesting. At mile 18, I took a cup of water and dropped in half a Nuun tablet in hopes that it would disolve quick enough - no such luck. I ended up chewing half the tablet which was pretty nasty. Lesson learned - bring ecaps no matter what! At this point my pace was dramatically slowing and I gave into walking somewhere around mile 20. The rest as they say is history. The last 10k was very slow (70 minutes) and painful. When I saw the finish I was completely done and could barely get my legs moving fast enough to finish looking strong. Finally I crossed the finish and pronounced myself done with marathons forever!
What would you do differently?:

Not really sure. My marathon times have steadily gotten slower over the past year and I still haven't gotten to the root of the problem. I know the humidity didn't help, but that wasn't my real problem on this day.
Post race
Warm down:

Waited at the family meeting area for Shannon for quite some time. Apparently our paths crossed a couple times but we didn't see each other. When we finally found each other it was time to head back to the hotel to clean up and then head to the airport.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Still working on this one. I will run the MB marathon in February for yet another system check.

Event comments:

Nice fun race - well organized and lots going on throughout.

Last updated: 2007-11-02 12:00 AM
Running
04:07:50 | 26.2 miles | 09m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Course: Loop around all the Disney theme parks.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-01-18 10:53 AM

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA
Subject: Walt Disney World Marathon

2008-01-18 9:20 PM
in reply to: #1163892

User image

Master
Savannah,
Subject: RE: Walt Disney World Marathon

You'll figure it out.  It was nice to see you at miles 2, 10, and the finish, too.  I was so worried when I didn't see you come through....and was so relieved you were okay and we had just passed each other. 

And I'm very excited for MB, too.  Racing together kicks booty.  

2008-01-19 10:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cary, NC

I told you long ago what the problem is....

Women weaken legs!

Now you know why I am so darn slow.

2008-01-19 12:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Williamsburg, Virginia
We all have bad days, look at your Red Sox, they had bad years until recently. Still, NICE JOB!
2008-01-19 7:37 PM

You had a good race, especially when you consider that you were out there doing rather than sitting on the sidelines of life. And you still beat Condorman.

Keep up the good work!
2008-01-22 11:13 AM
in reply to: #1165905

User image

Champion
Richmond, VA

k96ag04 - 2008-01-19 8:37 PM You had a good race, especially when you consider that you were out there doing rather than sitting on the sidelines of life. And you still beat Condorman. Keep up the good work!

I still need to post my race report, but up until about mile 16, I was on pace for a 4:20 finish.  Had I known I had a chance to catch up to Doug - that wouldn't have made a hill of beans of difference because I had sweated a small child and by mile 18 was praying for death - ok, not death but at least a way to get more liquid in my that didn't involve water jostling in my tummy.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Walt Disney World Marathon Rss Feed