Houston Marathon Committee
44F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 44m 16s
Overall Rank = 3495/5429
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 173/308
Pre-race routine:

Tried to drink my smoothie (chocolate milk and banana) and eat my soy nut mix. However, my stomach was not cooperating and it took me the entire ride down there to finish up the smoothie. The nut packet remains uneaten even now :-)

Once we got down to Houston, we parked far away from the start, about 6 blocks, this way we would have time to walk before and after the race. I put on my shoes, heart rate monitor, knee braces and race belt when getting out of the car and just brought my bag with a change of clothes and the all important flip-flops with me to the convention center.

Once at the convention center, I got on line for the port-o-potty. That took a good part of the morning. But, I met some nice girls :-) Then afterwards we checked in our bags and got back on line for the potties. I finally got off of line at 7:05, I had to be at the starting line at 7:10. My heart rate was through the roof waiting on line, I was so nervous I would miss the start, but the nervousness made me have to pee even more!

So, no good pre-race routine besides trying to get some food substances into my stomach and empty my bladder in time to get to the start line
Event warmup:

Warmup? Isn't that what the first 13 miles are for?
Run
  • 4h 44m 16s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

Wow - who knew running could be fun? I definitely need to line people up around the streets to cheer for me when I run more often, it helps immensely :-). Actually the run was great. We kept a good pace but it didn't feel too hard to keep going at that pace.

Marathon Summary:
Wow - the energy in the air was incredible. I was looking forward to the sound of the feet like we heard in 10 for Texas, but there was so much noise. Everyone was chatting, cheering, wooping, hollering - there was no way to hear the feet. But, it was better. It was so inspiring and fun. We ran the first 2 miles straight to the first rest station. At that point we decided to start our 5-1 run-walk intervals. There were so many people everywhere and the cheering was amazing. We met my mom and the Hippe's at mile 3 and I gave her my long-sleeved shirt. It was warm enough I no longer needed it. I stopped to pose for a picture and Mr Hippe said we don't stop to pose for pictures during a marthon.

Then we ran off. We saw them again around mile 9 and I about fell over when we hit the 10 mile mark. At 10 for Texas it felt forever to get to the 10 mile mark, this time I blinked and we were there. The half marathoners turned around at mile 9, so the course opened up at that point and it was hard to see them go. It got really quiet for a while and that was the point where I needed to dig inside myself a bit further.

Most of the run passed in a blur, but we saw my mom and Mrs Hippe several more times and ran through some great neighborhoods with people cheering and bands playing and all sorts of fun stuff. At mile 20 I ran past my dad without realizing it and at mile 21 they told me to run ahead and finish. I felt great until 23. I had left my water boys behind and got really thirsty! 1.5 miles apart is too far for me to get water, I need a sip or so in between. Luckily after the water station I found a nice man handing out water bottles to the runners. I could have kissed him (sorry Chad)!

Then I walked/ran to mile 25. I have no idea my intervals there, I was hurting and walking more then I should have. At mile 25 I told myself I was not allowed to walk again and ran it the rest of the way in. LONGEST 1.2 MILES EVER. The cruelest part was you turn the last corner and see the finish line and it is still several minutes away! I kept looking at it and looking at my watch and my watch was frozen and I wasn't getting any closer to the end. I really thought I would cry or be really excited when it was over, but I was in such a daze, I really can't say what I was feeling. I ran over the camera man so that was really smooth, but other then that I don't really remember much except thinking "I can finally walk!". It's kind of a shame, I was really expecting tears. I never do cry at moments I think will be really emotional though, so I guess it's not too much of a surprise.

But, I ran a marathon. I, Erin, who couldn't run to the end of her driveway a year ago, ran a marathon. Chad mentioned it was like a dream come true - one of those life dreams that's always on the to-do list. I told him it wasn't ever on my to-do list, it was something I had never even dreamed I'd do. This year has been an amazing journey of what the body can do when you set your mind to it.
What would you do differently?:

I shouldn't have drank so much gatoraide early on. It gave me a sugar rush and felt terrible in my system. I should have drank more water and only had gatoraide every 3rd or 4th aid station. That would have helped miles 17-20. Mile 23 when I hit the wall I should have had a gu, but I was so close to the end I thought I could make it without one. BIG mistake. Next time, I will gu upon bonking even if there's only 2 miles left.

Also, I am so upset I don't have my mile by mile splits. I had some incredibly good miles from 21-23 and then some really slow ones from 23-25. My overall pace went from 10:50 at mile 21 to 10:30 at mile 23 to 10:55 at mile 25 and then 10:50 overall at the end. I really wish I had a stopwatch to click at each mile marker to see what I really did during those in between miles. In all honesty, I want to see how fast I really ran some of those miles ;-)
Post race
Warm down:

Walking walking walking. I walked for a bit and then realized I had to claim my finishers shirt. I was going to be upset if they were out of smalls, so I bee-lined it to pick up the shirt. I was in luck. I picked up my small shirt and headed over to an open area to stretch. While stretching I was on and off the phone with my mom trying to find my dad and Chad. I also met a really nice guy who's an ironman - awesome! We chatted for a long time while we stretched.

Then I got a call from my dad looking for me. Him and Chad were in the food line. I went and picked up my bag and put on my flip flops. My feet were in so much pain! The flip flops were a gift from heaven. Then I went and found them to try to eat. I was starving but after half a bagel thought I might puke, so I didn't actually eat much. After we all ate, they got their finishers gifts and bags, then we headed out to meet my mom. I went downstairs to change into dry clothes and we drove home. I ate some apples and pretzels on the car ride home.

Once home we went to the Hippe's to celebrate. I quickly headed to my parents house for a much needed shower then went back to the Hippe's for some pizza. After eating and trying hard not to fall asleep at the kitchen table, it was time for my much needed post-race massage with Kyle.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Faster? I have been running 11:30-12 minute miles regularly. Breaking 11 overall was awesome!

Event comments:

I'm not sure I'll do Vancouver this year, it's probably pushing it with having to train for the LoneStar at the end of March. But, I will most definitely do another marathon. I never thought I would even consider running a marathon, nevermind find it marathon fun and be anxious to try another!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-11-14 12:00 AM
Running
04:44:16 | 26.2 miles | 10m 51s  min/mile
Age Group: 173/308
Overall: 3495/5429
Performance: Good
10K split: 1:06:12 Half split: 2:17:53 30K split: 3:19:34 Avg HR = 170
Course: Downtown Houston. I honestly have no idea where I was the whole time, and it was probably better that way.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-01-19 5:29 PM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
Subject: Houston Marathon

2008-01-20 6:21 PM
in reply to: #1165788

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Subject: RE: Houston Marathon
Awesome job!! I totally echo the excitement and wish I could get people lined up to cheer for me while I train too!! Way to go! See you at Lonestar!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Houston Marathon Rss Feed