General Discussion Race Reports! » Gatorade Triathlon Series: Race 4 Robina Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Gatorade Triathlon Series: Race 4 Robina - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Gold Coast, Queensland
Australia
USM Events
27C / 81F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 20m 1s
Overall Rank = 281/521
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 28/42
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4.50am and packed up my gear and was on the road by 5.05. Made Robina by 6 which gave me a half an hour to register and set up transition.
Event warmup:

I was delighted to read that my age group was near the top of the wave start list so I had only an hour to kill before the start. I did all the usual things, checked out the sponsor’s stalls, visited the loo and stressed out a bit about the swim distance (the swim buoys looked a very very long long way away).
Swim
  • 17m 55s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 23s / 100 meters
Comments:

Considering I had only had my first real swim in over a month on the Friday afternoon before the race (I struggled to swim further then 200m) I knew the swim today over 750m was going to be very ordinary. I was even a little worried that I wouldn't make it. I waded into the water and tried to hold a spot to the left of the main pack and waited for the start. My swim was fairly uneventful and as I got closer to the finish I knew I would be ok but boy, was I was glad to be back on dry land. I ran to transition and found my bike really easily (it's pretty easy to find your bike when it's the only one left).
What would you do differently?:

Train more, enough said.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

It seemed to take forever for me to get out of transition. I had trouble getting my Gu's into my pockets and this has happened before so I need to come up with a better solution for the next race.

I might tape my Gu's to my bike next time.
Bike
  • 38m 39s
  • 20 kms
  • 31.05 km/hr
Comments:

Jumped on my bike and got into my shoes without any problems and begun the task of trying to pass as many of my age groups as I could who had passed me in the swim (little did I realised that they had all passed me). After the first lap a small group had started to form around me and a fair bit of illegal drafting was happening. Nobody said anything but everybody in the group knew what was going on as we all rotated through the lead position as we rode around the course. This lasted for about 2 of my 4 laps but the group broke up after my third lap as some of the group had finished all 4 of their laps. I powered on to finish my forth lap and by the time I had finished my bike computer said my average speed was in the high 36's. Very happy with this.

Very happy with my time and I think it is a slight improvement on my best time here. This course is basically dead flat and because there are so many people on it at any one time it's almost impossible not to draft.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Apart from running down the wrong row for a bit, T2 went well. I got into my shoes and grabbed my hat and number belt and headed off out of transition.

It all went well.
Run
  • 23m 25s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 41s  min/km
Comments:

I felt really good after getting off the bike and it was the perfect weather conditions for a fast run time. There was some cloud cover which was helping to keep the temperature down and there was also very little wind. The goal for the run was to try and get under 24 minutes after I worked out that my crap swim had made it impossible to post a overall pb.

I had a few of my fellow age groupers pass by me on the run which was a little disappointing but I knew I was given it all I had. I passed one of my age groupers who was having trouble with his inner sole and I offered him some advice “sit down, take your time, there’s no rush, make sure you get it right” we both had a laugh. Unfortunately for me he got his shoe right because it wasn't long before he came flying pass me with a big grin on his face.

I was very happy with my time of 23.25 and it shows that that my training is going well.
Post race
Warm down:

Just the usual, ate watermelon and drank some water and gatorade. It started to rain quite heavily as I was standing around after the race and I felt sorry for the competitors who were still going around.

Event comments:

I had a really enjoyable race today even though my swim was crap but that was my own fault and I knew it was going to happen.

It will be hard to stay focused on training over the coming month’s becuase I'm not sure when my next race will be. I have a planned holiday coming up and it's going to clash with the next couple of races. I really need to sit down this week and plan my next race which will help me stay motivated and build on improvements from todays race.

Last updated: 2008-01-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:55 | 750 meters | 02m 23s / 100meters
Age Group: 42/42
Overall: 468/521
Performance: Bad
Suit: No
Course: 750m around a river course.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 24C / 75F Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:38:39 | 20 kms | 31.05 km/hr
Age Group: 19/42
Overall: 168/521
Performance: Good
Wind: Little with gusts
Course: 4 laps of a flat 5k track.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:25 | 05 kms | 04m 41s  min/km
Age Group: 30/42
Overall: 273/521
Performance: Good
Course: 2 laps of a flat course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-01-20 6:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane
Subject: Gatorade Triathlon Series: Race 4 Robina

2008-01-20 7:07 PM
in reply to: #1166760

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane QLD
Subject: RE: Gatorade Triathlon Series: Race 4 Robina

What a great report!  LOL  Sounds like you had a blast! 

yeah that swim was daunting.  You certainly made it up on the ride that's for sure.  (Never mind the illegal drafting.  There was a fair bit of it going on when I was on track too!)

Glad you finished before the rain started coming down.  It really was MAD on the course when it was raining. 

2008-01-20 7:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Way to go, you made up 14 places with some fast fast running.

I can vouch for taping Gu to bike, it works, unless you do a really good job making it near on impossible to get 'em off. Don't do that. It's frustrating.
2008-01-20 7:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz

great report,  hmm me thinks much more purple on the logs might have helped   a holiday coming up sounds like a perfect time for a bit of purple

great bike and run times~!  even with the drafting (naughty naughty)   I love the chat with the guy and his innersole!  it makes racing so much fun when stuff like that happens!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gatorade Triathlon Series: Race 4 Robina Rss Feed