General Discussion Race Reports! » Surf City USA Marathon and Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Surf City USA Marathon and Half Marathon - RunMarathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
HUNTINGTON BEACH, California
United States
coldF / 0C
Precipitation
Total Time = 4h 05m 58s
Overall Rank = 340/1076
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 39/75
Pre-race routine:

Missed packet pick-up on Saturday because I got confused on the time the expo closed...I thought it closed at 7pm but that was for Friday it closed at 5pm on Saturday. Spent the night thinking we (I was supposed to pick up Mike's packet as well) would be unable to be official finishers or get our shirts. That really sucked.

Woke up at 4:40 and met Mike at 5:00 for the drive down to HB. Ate a bar and had a 22oz bottle of water. Put on my trashbag and headed to the start line.
Event warmup:

Mike and I debated heading home and scrapping the race. I really didn't want to run but at the same time I didn't want to skip out on one of the few times in the last couple weeks that I've had a chance to do something I (at least at one point) wanted to do. Jogged to the start line to experience the weather and to make the decision on what to do about the race.

After getting to the start line I headed into the tent and noticed that people were getting bibs and so forth. Headed to the table and left my driver's license as collateral for the $25 a head they charged for race day packet pick up. I've never been happier to pay $50 (I covered Mike given it was my screw up).

Since we were now official, Mike and I decided to start the race.
Run
  • 4h 05m 56s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

Started the run in the rain. it continued raining for the first 15 miles or so. I was fairly miserable and looking oh so stylish in my Glad Trashbag. There should be some great race photos of me...I may even buy one of them this time. The rain was steady and the wind would whip through you like you were not even there. In short I was fairly uncomfortable. I continued to fight through it as Mike and I found it hard to get into a rhythmn running together...usually this is not a problem but it seemed like I was waiting for him or he was waiting for me most of the day.

At mile 16, Mike decided he had had enough and continued towards the car while I turned on the bike path. I thought about going with Mike but didn't want to quit after 16 miles (plus the other 2 miles it would take to get back to the start line) when I knew I could finish the race. As I turned onto the bike path I immediately started questioning my decision because the wind was really whipping off of the ocean and I was very cold. I concentrated on just keeping my head down and continuing along which seemed to work fine.
What would you do differently?:

Not run the race in the rain and get some additional mid-week runs in rather than just getting the long weekend runs in. Training was insufficient to put in a good time but was sufficient to get me through the race...so I survived.
Post race
Warm down:

I got my space blanket and went in search of food and water. Amazingly, I was unable to find any water which was really annoying. Maybe I missed it but the food tent had no liquids whatsoever inside of it.

Anyway, after a brief stop in the food tent I went off in search of Mike. I hobbled the mile or so to where we parked the car in the morning only to find that it wasn't there. This wasn't surprising since it probably meant that Mike checked our combined financial situation and realized that we didn't have the $50 cash to get my driver's license back. I then started walking back to the expo looking for Mike's car the entire walk back. Thankfully just a 1/4 mile from the tent I found his car but alas no Mike. I ended up locating Mike about 15 minutes later and we proceeded to go back again to the car so that I could finally get out of my extremely wet clothes and into something warm. After I changed I was feeling a lot better but we were still short the cash we needed to get my license back so we walked to the hotel across the street where we were able to locate an ATM and then back of course to get my license back.

All of that is a long way of saying I walked around for about 2 miles after the race trying to find the car and get my license back. I think that should count as a warm-down. :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I originally hoped to go sub 3:45 at this race but lack of training and a couple rough weeks at work had me hoping for a slight improvement over my time from last year of just under 4 hours.

Event comments:

Once again there was little if anything left for the marathoners once they finished. I couldn't even find a bottle of water. I was handed a bag with some food in it but I could not find any liquids whatsoever. Very frustrating.

Last updated: 2008-02-04 12:00 AM
Running
04:05:56 | 26.2 miles | 09m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 39/75
Overall: 340/1076
Performance: Below average
1) 8:48, 2) 8:29, 3) 8:40, 4&5) 8:55 (avg), 6) 8:20, 7) 8:54, 8) 9:02, 9) 10:00, 10,11,12) 9:07 (avg), 13) 9:10, 14) 9:26, 15) 9:27, 16) 8:56, 17) 9:25, 18,19,20,21,22,23) 9:56 (avg), 24) 10:16, 25,26) 10:00 (avg), 26.2) 2:00
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-02-04 4:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: Surf City USA Marathon and Half Marathon

2008-02-04 4:51 PM
in reply to: #1194076

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: RE: Surf City USA Marathon and Half Marathon

This was definitely a good day to cash in on some big mental training points. Other folks train all winter in stuff like this and only get a few opportunities for it

Glad that you figured out the whole late packet pickup thing and did the race as an official runner. I hear ya on the wind and rain. Up on the cliffs around Golden West, the wind was really whipping the ocean spray and the rain around. Seeing the ocean did not help much.

I was pretty happy to just be doing the half yesterday and felt sorry for a few friends who were doing the full. (Knowing they had to divert onto the path where I got to continue on)

Nice job toughing it out

2008-02-04 6:00 PM

User image

Australia
Sounds challenging all round!

Good on you for sticking it out.
2008-02-04 6:38 PM

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA

Way to go.

I could have told you about race day pick up.  They don't advertise it because they want everyone to go to the expo and buy stuff and also stay in the area, helping the local economy.

2008-02-04 6:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sherman Oaks, CA
nice job! i was out there on the path cheering you guys on w my husband (we were in green and blue rain gear) as you ran in to the water station at mile 25. You finished and those conditions were BRUTAL!! Congrats!
2008-02-04 6:43 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2008-02-05 2:50 AM

Melon Presser

Incredible job, Mike, and an awesome finishing time especially considering the conditions. It was worse out there on the bike path--you were taking the brunt of it right from the sea. Super congratulations on showing up and putting together a great run.

I did the half-mary and couldn't find any liquids after, either.

2008-02-05 3:29 AM

Expert
I'm a Tennessee girl living in SoCal.
WTG on getting to run officially and finishing! It really was brutal out there, so big kudos to you for running the full distance!
2008-02-07 11:57 AM

Expert
Central New York
Nice work in tough conditions. Pretty zippy given all that you endured out there (and leading up to the race).
2008-02-11 10:55 PM

Mesa
Nice way to stick it out Mike! That wind sounds like it sucked bad. Perhaps you got your windy race out of the way for the year? (fingers crossed)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Surf City USA Marathon and Half Marathon Rss Feed