Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2008-02-10 8:57 PM
in reply to: #1200161

User image

Pro
Irvine, California
Subject: RE: USA - Cities

x 5 for SoCal.  I live in Orange County, and the weather is lovely year-round, for the most part.  Just have to deal with some cool temperatures and rain during the "winter" months.  I think I'd prefer San Diego even more, but I've got to stay where the job is, at least for the time being.

Also, for me, it's super important that I stay active and exercise year-round due to my diabetes.  Since I'm a transplant from the midwest (Chicagoland), I know I tend to go into hibernation during those long, cold, dark winters.

2008-02-10 9:21 PM

User image

Kansas City
I just moved to KC from San Francisco and, after this winter, I'm moving back to Cali. So far, I think that southern california has the best climate. Who really cares about expense when you get to be outside all year round? To me, thats what matters the most. I'm also applying for jobs in Hawaii-- pretty nice from what I hear.

Nature is the most important factor for me because jobs usually pay for the cost of living. As long as its sunny outside and there are mountains and oceans around I am happy. The KC winter sucks.
2008-02-10 9:46 PM
in reply to: #1200166

User image

Veteran
Round Rock, TX
JeepFleeb - 2008-02-07 7:00 PM

Austin, TX

X3

Edited by rjbostick 2008-02-10 9:47 PM
2008-02-11 9:40 AM
in reply to: #1201051

User image

Veteran
Parrish, Florida
mgmoore7 - 2008-02-08 11:27 AM

That is easy.  Tampa Bay Area, FL

X2

To each there own, but I've lived in North Carolina and, though there is much I enjoyed there, I'd still take Florida.

Plus, I don't remember the drivers being any better there than here!
2008-02-11 10:15 PM
in reply to: #1202797

User image

Master
Breckenridge, CO
dgunthert - 2008-02-09 10:51 AM

tri-dg - 2008-02-09 8:40 AM

do the houses in Austin have basements? or are they on slabs?

Given the fairly rocky geology, pretty much everything is built on a slab. Not sure if you consider that good or bad.

They're built on slabs because it's cheaper and feasible in locales where the ground doesn't freeze. I love Austin and bleed orange but the summers are way too hot for me.

Edited by breckview 2008-02-11 10:17 PM
2008-02-12 8:45 AM
in reply to: #1200886

User image

Extreme Veteran
MN

njk123 - 2008-02-08 9:35 AM
LindaKC - 2008-02-07 10:28 PM
tri-dg - 2008-02-07 6:52 PM I would love to move some where, where the winters dont stink as bad as they do in Kansas City. What city would you say is the best for overall outdoor life, Tri trianing, camping, fishing, mountian biking, boating, etc..... Im not saying that I will be moving just something nice to think about (24 Male)
Dude, what's wrong with Kansas City? I think this is a great place to live. Lots of parks, places to ride just outside the city, plus traffic really isn't as bad here as other big cities... and at least we haven't gotten as much snow/ice as places up north. But if I was going to move, I would seriously consider Austin or San Antonio. Or maybe the Tampa/Clearwater area.
Come on up to Minnesota for a spell. KC winters won't seem so bad!

Another MN person wonder how "bad" a KC winter could be.  I ran two weeks ago in what could be a BT cold weather run record.  -14 deg F with a wind chill of -45.  Now that will make you want to run for mayor of KC. 

And yes, for those of you wondering I am off the deep end most of the time.

2008-02-22 7:33 PM

User image

Expert
work, road, bike, pool
that is a bit on the crazy side... i think my nose and throat would be frozen shut ( i had diviated septum surgery last spring and cold weather hurts to breath in)
2008-02-22 8:33 PM
in reply to: #1201507

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

csibona - 2008-02-08 12:19 PM There are an awful lot of triathletes, including professionals, in the Denver-Boulder-Colorado Springs area that train year round. But, of course, I would assume the weather is similar to Kansas City. It might be a wash.

Don't really want to encourage more people to come, but there is nothing similar about the weather in the two areas.   

2008-02-23 12:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I live in northern NY, only about 120 miles from Montreal. I used to LOVE the cold, but after swimming in the lake all summer, and being stuck in a pool now, and falling on the ice last week and reinjuring my knee a bit, I keep telling my husband that when I retire in 9 years, I want a house in a warmer area where I can swim outside, in a lake or ocean, all year round. I had some questions about Austin, if anyone would answer:

I want to live in a brownstone type of house in a city atmosphere, where you can walk/bike to get everything you need. Is Austin like that? Old architecture, or all new stuff?

How hot is it in the winter? In the summer?

Are there fresh water lakes? If so, are they safe to swim in? Are there alligators in them - seriously, I couldn't live in an area that had gorgeous lakes that are not safe to swim in because of gators/snakes.

Is Austin a progressive/liberal city? I couldn't stand living in a conservative area, with all conservative neighbors. That is the deal breaker for me, as I live in an area like that now, and cannot wait to flee!!

Thanks for any information - I appreciate it!
nancy

2008-02-23 8:48 PM
in reply to: #1230878

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
nancylee - 2008-02-23 12:16 PM

• ..I had some questions about Austin, if anyone would answer:

• I want to live in a brownstone type of house in a city atmosphere, where you can walk/bike to get everything you need. Is Austin like that? Old architecture, or all new stuff?

Are there fresh water lakes? If so, are they safe to swim in? Are there alligators in them - seriously, I couldn't live in an area that had gorgeous lakes that are not safe to swim in because of gators/snakes.

Is Austin a progressive/liberal city? I couldn't stand living in a conservative area, with all conservative neighbors. That is the deal breaker for me, as I live in an area like that now, and cannot wait to flee!!

nancy

You're not going to find much in the way of brownstones. Austin is not that old of a city, so residential downtown consists mostly of condos and apartments. However, very close by, since downtown isn't all that big, are some nice old neighborhoods with craftsman and cottage style homes.

Summer time temps are typically around or just over 100. No question, it's hot. Humidity is moderate.

There are several fresh water lakes nearby that are safe to swim in. A few examples are Lake Travis, Lake Austin, Walter E. Long Lake. There are quite a few others. Water sports are popular here. We don't have alligators in Austin.

Austin, in contrast to most of the rest of the state, is very liberal/progressive. The residents cover the spectrum, as you would expect, but overall it's liberal.
    2008-02-23 9:49 PM
    in reply to: #1231485

User image

Extreme Veteran
    dgunthert - 2008-02-23 8:48 PM

nancylee - 2008-02-23 12:16 PM

• ..I had some questions about Austin, if anyone would answer:

• I want to live in a brownstone type of house in a city atmosphere, where you can walk/bike to get everything you need. Is Austin like that? Old architecture, or all new stuff?

nancy

You're not going to find much in the way of brownstones. Austin is not that old of a city, so residential downtown consists mostly of condos and apartments. However, very close by, since downtown isn't all that big, are some nice old neighborhoods with craftsman and cottage style homes.

Summer time temps are typically around or just over 100. No question, it's hot. Humidity is moderate.

There are several fresh water lakes nearby that are safe to swim in. A few examples are Lake Travis, Lake Austin, Walter E. Long Lake. There are quite a few others. Water sports are popular here. We don't have alligators in Austin.

Austin, in contrast to most of the rest of the state, is very liberal/progressive. The residents cover the spectrum, as you would expect, but overall it's liberal.

Thanks for the information! I appreciate you taking the time to inform me!

2008-02-24 9:16 AM

User image

Expert
    Virginia
    I'd second (fourth?) the vote for Tampa, FL.  I was down there 2x last spring/summer...am trying to figure out how to go back this year.  The weather was great, lots of places to run, and of course, the beaches.  I also like the Destin, FL area, but Tampa is more my style in terms of city...Destin for just vacationing.  The one thing I always loved about Tampa, Publix, LOL.  Love the fresh fruit section.  I'm slowly working my way south...started in Michigan now in Virginia...next stop for me would definitely be Tampa if I moved again.
    2008-02-24 9:26 AM

Subject: ...
    This user's post has been ignored.
    2008-02-24 6:04 PM
    in reply to: #1200374

Boulder(soul)/Cincinnati(body)
    greyhound - 2008-02-07 9:19 PM

Denver-Boulder

Amen 

2008-02-24 8:00 PM

Veteran
    Lutz, Florida

Tampa....we have a lot of rails to trails areas that let you get out and ride 100 miles without having to deal with traffic.  I am so spoiled that I can't imagine not having the suncoast trail and being forced to ride with traffic!!!!

Also, we get a lot of knocks about the heat here.....Tampa has never reached 100 degrees, but we have had snow.  I grew up in st louis and we would have weeks of 100 degree weather with no wind and just about the same humidity......I'll take Tampa any day!!!! 

2008-02-24 9:20 PM

I grew up in Austin and couldn't wait to get out to seasons in Washington.

Now that I'm training year round though...I can't wait to get back.

Plus you can't beat the downtown vibe, the great places to run/bike/swim, and the athletic community there.

New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » USA - Cities Rss Feed  

of 3