Midwest Sports Events
22F / -6C
Overcast
Total Time = 58m 38s
Overall Rank = 2/256
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/16
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 6a and ate a PowerBar, banana and some shot bloks (I think). Got ready and headed out the door around 7ish.
Event warmup:

The church nearby was open for the runners, so we went in there and did some stretching up until about 10' to start time. After that, we headed to the start and I ran down a road for a while for some warm-up.
Run
  • 58m 38s
  • 9.31 miles
  • 06m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

Going into this run I wasnt expecting much. I won this race last year and figured I'd just go into it and take whatever it brings me. I was coming off 4 weeks of resting since Disney and 3 weeks of taper before that. So, it's been a while since I was running hard.

After waiting at the start for a while, we finally started out and me and another guy took the lead. We got 2" of fresh snow the previous night so the roads were really slippery. I wore my New Balanace 800 trail shoes for some extra traction, and it helped a bit, but was not a huge improvement even with the agressive sole.

So, we were running basically side-by-side in car tracks for the first mile or so. Shortly after that, we made a right turn into the Abby and he started to pull away. I kept with him for a while, but eventually he just kept pulling away. Just by watching his stride you knew he ran XC someplace in college (and it turns out I was right in that thinking). Perfect stride; looked almost effortless.

As we ran past the first aid station, they just kept the cups on the other side of the road and didn't bother to hand us the cups or anything. So, no water there.

At the turn around (mi 5) we ran through this park. I swear that road wasn't plowed at all. Super slippery and it was hard to hold a decent race pace going through there. Busted through that and back onto the road.

A little ways later, we hit up the aid station that had the cups sitting there. Now they were handing them out, on the right side of the road, so I grabbed some Gatorade. Bad mistake...I went to drink it and instead of it going in my mouth it went into my eyes. Nice. That stung for maybe 1/2 mi, then it went away with a sticky face to show for it.

After the first couple of miles I was pretty much running by myself with no real danger of getting passed. I kept on steady thorughout and after the last long gradual incline, I kicked it down to bring it home. 2nd place OA...Ill take it!
What would you do differently?:

Not come into the race on a month of rest? My time this year was about a minute slower than last that I can only blame on my run fitness and crappy roads.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my finishing stuff. Congrat'd the other people coming in and went for a short cooldown jog. Drank my recovery drink and changed into some dry clothes. Went back to the finish line, cheered in Amy.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Snowy, slippery roads. Lack of speed (and training in general) for the 5-6 weeks prior.

Event comments:

Race was put together decently. Not much going on after the run except for hot chocolate, bananas and cookies. Gotta love the block of cheese and chocolate bar you get at the finish line though!

Last updated: 2008-01-19 12:00 AM
Running
00:58:38 | 9.31 miles | 06m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/16
Overall: 2/256
Performance: Good
Avg/Max HR: 169/176 :: Avg/Max Cadence: 94/99
Course: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/ discussion/training/map.asp?routeid=42033
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-02-20 3:04 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Valentine's Day Run - 15K

2008-02-20 7:39 PM
in reply to: #1224220

User image

Master
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
Subject: RE: Valentine's Day Run - 15K

Wow...just wow.  You are totally my rabbit this season!!  Congrats man, that's just incredible!!  And this was a slow day? 

I want a pair of 800's...been looking for them for a while.  So light and comfy!

Dude, you kick major @$$. 

2008-02-21 7:45 AM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
Great race yam-donk.  It must be cool to be that far in front!  Was the leader in sight the whole time or was he gone for good?
2008-02-21 8:25 AM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Dude, great race. That is excellent training work as well.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Valentine's Day Run - 15K Rss Feed