Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2008-02-22 7:56 PM
in reply to: #1229963

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC
Subject: RE: Politics and CoJ... I'm impressed
possum -

Really? So men aren't susceptible to this "erroneous" way of thinking? that's odd. And my degree is from Middlebury

(hoo boy.. well, I guess I deserve this since I stirred the pot with red meat... )

No... No... men too...

I have a friend who is a male grade school teacher with a degree from Swarthmore. My wife teaches part time, has a degree from Bryn Mawr, but took many classes at Swarthmore.

And still, I get what Goldberg means.

He does not mean that the folks he calls "liberal fascists" are the monsters that constituted the Nazi party, for example. Not that at all.

Look, clearly there is a culture war going on. It's a war that was started against a traditional culture (call that culture the patriarchy if you want). You could argue that this old traditional culture should be changed because it is inherently anti-human (I wouldn't argue that, but I understand that people of good will might).

But the fact remains that this traditional culture, and especially the traditional family, is under attack. The "traditional" is in the defensive position.

My friends on the left applaud this.

I think what Goldberg is getting at with his grade school teacher remark is that this attack is often furthered by forms of pedagogy, often supported by the state, that are developed in leftist/liberal/progressive institutions such as Swarthmore and Brown, and Bryn Mawr for that matter.

Myself, I'm just coming out of this leftist/liberal/progressive world view. I use to support the kind of pedagogy that Goldberg is criticizing. I don't so much anymore. It's actually troubling to me.

Some of my best friends are leftist, deconstructionist, feminist, professors with tenure. I love them. I just don't think they're so right so much anymore. And I like people from Swarthmore, Brown, Bryn Mawr and I'm sure from Middlebury as well.

It's been clear to me for a while about the connection between the early 20th century progressive movement and some European fascist movements of the same period around the issue of eugenics. What Goldberg's book is fleshing out for me a bit is some further connections between the two movements regarding issues such as economic planning.

Edited by dontracy 2008-02-22 7:58 PM

2008-02-22 8:03 PM
in reply to: #1228868

User image

Champion
Wisconsin

Don, the traditional family is not under attack.  That paranoia serves no one, and is really unbecoming. You take care of your family, and I'll take care of mine.

It's just that many of us don't fit that "traditional" mold.  And we'd very much like to be considered equal human beings under the law. And you obviously know NOTHING about elementary education, the politics of education, or the reality of many urban schools in this country to make such statements., or to suggest that teaching kids to think for themselves, to question, and to work towards peace at all costs are at all at odds with whatever nostalgic patriarchy you seem to have accepted.

And your constant "some of my best friends are..."  and "even my wife..." and "I used to think that way" are so patronizing, I almost can't read your posts anymore.  

2008-02-22 8:21 PM
in reply to: #1230034

User image

possum - 2008-02-22 9:03 PM

Don, the traditional family is not under attack. That paranoia serves no one, and is really unbecoming. You take care of your family, and I'll take care of mine.

It's just that many of us don't fit that "traditional" mold. And we'd very much like to be considered equal human beings under the law. And you obviously know NOTHING about elementary education, the politics of education, or the reality of many urban schools in this country to make such statements., or to suggest that teaching kids to think for themselves, to question, and to work towards peace at all costs are at all at odds with whatever nostalgic patriarchy you seem to have accepted.

And your constant "some of my best friends are..." and "even my wife..." and "I used to think that way" are so patronizing, I almost can't read your posts anymore.

OK, let me just be a bit more precise...

The "traditional family" is shorthand for "the traditional family, the core of which is a marriage of one man and one woman, and is the main building block of society."

That's more of what I meant.  And it certainly is under attack.

History may prove that your view is the correct one.  I just don't agree. 

As for being patronizing with my references, I offered them to stem the kind of attack you make in your second paragraph where you say that I know nothing about elementary education.

I know some, and I know people who know a lot and it's from them that I learn.

And I would disagree to a large extent that kids in the kinds of systems that Goldberg is criticizing are learning to think for themselves.  Rather, they're learning to think as their teachers want them to think, at least as far as certain core values are concerned. 

2008-02-22 8:27 PM

User image

Champion
Wisconsin

I want to hear more about how your traditional family is under attack.

And how my kind of family is so damaging to yours.

Actually no I don't. This is clearly where you want every conversation to go... Down the  twisted and sometimes impassable "Natural Law" Lane. I should know better by now not to engage with you. 

2008-02-22 8:40 PM
in reply to: #1230034

User image

Buttercup

Poli Sci 101: 

One can be on the left or right AND have an authoritarian bent. These are people who believe that the government should have authority, to varying degrees, over the governed (authoritarianism being a continuum, not a static point).

One can be on the left or right AND have a libertarian bent. These are people who believe the goverment should have less authority over the governed.

To paint either side as authoritarian (fascist, nazi or otherwise) or libertarian is to misunderstand very basic concepts and/or simply ignorant.

Edited by Renee 2008-02-22 8:41 PM
2008-02-22 8:42 PM
in reply to: #1229994

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
mdg2003 - 2008-02-22 8:41 PM
marmadaddy - 2008-02-22 7:26 PM

Don, I'm incredibly disappointed. This quote is hateful inflammatory nonsense, nothing more. It's a ridiculous generalization that I would think is beneath you even to quote.

"Why do republicans suck?" is in the same category Mike. You missed that somehow.....

Not every post gets read by a moderator. Don't confuse missing a post with bias.

And we must also take the source into consideration.

2008-02-22 8:47 PM
in reply to: #1230107

User image

Renee -

Poli Sci 101:

One can be on the left or right AND have an authoritarian bent. These are people who believe that the government should have authority, to varying degrees, over the governed (authoritarianism being a continuum, not a static point).

One can be on the left or right AND have a libertarian bent. These are people who believe the goverment should have less authority over the governed.

To paint either side as authoritarian (fascist, nazi or otherwise) or libertarian is to misunderstand very basic concepts and/or simply ignorant.

Exactly.

2008-02-22 8:57 PM
in reply to: #1230077

User image

possum - 

I want to hear more about how your traditional family is under attack.

It's just an objective fact.

My expanded definition of "traditional family" has been the norm.  You would like to change that norm to a different norm, one that is open to other possibilities.  All of the things that need to be done to change the norm is the "attack".

Sometimes attacking things is good, if you think that what you are attacking is bad.   

No need to go down the natural law path to answer that one.

Your second question, maybe needs to go down that path.  So I won't. 

2008-02-22 9:01 PM
in reply to: #1230132

User image

Master
dontracy - 2008-02-22 9:47 PM

Renee -

Poli Sci 101:

One can be on the left or right AND have an authoritarian bent. These are people who believe that the government should have authority, to varying degrees, over the governed (authoritarianism being a continuum, not a static point).

To paint either side as authoritarian (fascist, nazi or otherwise) or libertarian is to misunderstand very basic concepts and/or simply ignorant.

Exactly.

but this is exactly what goldberg does! "liberal fascism"?!?!?

the idea that prius-driving, gay-marriage-supporting, pro-affirmative action vegans have *anything* in common with benito mussolini's Fasci di Combattimento (from which the term fascism is derived) or nazi germany is a patently absurd argument made by someone who is either intellectually dishonest or incredibly stupid. i suspect goldberg is both.

shorter goldberg:
nazis were for organic food.
liberals like organic food.
liberals are nazis!

wow! let's try that logic again:
my cat likes chicken.
my brother likes chicken.
my brother is a cat!

so is goldberg misunderstanding very basic concepts, or is he simply ignorant?
2008-02-22 9:06 PM
in reply to: #1230154

User image

Buttercup

Don, regarding your opinion about the threat to your family... 

So change = attack.

And even though your personal family would remain intact, this change threatens your personal family... how? (I assume you feel threatened since that is what an attack implies.)

I agree that attacking an institution can be good, case in point the institution of slavery that marred our history. Our country changed for the good, despite the arguments that favored maintaining traditional slavery. To the slaveowners who were disenfranchised of their 'property' I'm sure the change was not perceived as good. So, I can see how someone who is on the unwilling end of change to civil traditions would find change (that impacted them personally) undesirable or dangerous.

I'm wondering how you, personally, would suffer from the kind of change that would allow Hollis' and K to enter into a marriage contract, for example.

Edited by Renee 2008-02-22 9:09 PM
2008-02-22 9:07 PM
in reply to: #1230171

User image

jimbo - but this is exactly what goldberg does! "liberal fascism"?!?!?

nazis were for organic food. liberals like organic food. liberals are nazis! wow! let's try that logic again: my cat likes chicken. my brother likes chicken. my brother is a cat! so is goldberg misunderstanding very basic concepts, or is he simply ignorant?

No, that's not what he's doing.  He's merely filling out the full possibilities on the political spectrum, the type of spectrum that Renee just pointed out.

He's not claiming that there is no fascism on the right.

And no, your logical chain is not his argument.  Liking organic food is neutral.   

2008-02-22 9:14 PM

User image

Elite
In my bunk with new shoes and purple sweats.
All of this right-left-right-left makes me think I'm back in uniform. Why all the bickering and hate. You know there's times when I want to be on the left. Like when just my wife and I are in the car and somebody has to drive. I prefer that the somebody be me so I lean to the left on that issue. Nothing political, I just feel that I'll live longer if I drive. Now maybe me and a couple of buds are riding in a pickup truck. Now there's a circumstance where I lean solidly to the right. That way when we pull up to a light I can duck down and make the other two look pretty gay. Nothing like seeing a couple of truck driving redneck gay fellows with their rifles in the back window and all. That's some funny sh%t. Then most importantly there are times when I want to be in the middle. Especially on Oreo night at the Lucky 7 Club. Now that an agenda I'm really serious about. Up in the club, gettin' my groove back, uhhhummm Crackerlicious.
2008-02-22 9:17 PM
in reply to: #1230186

User image

Renee -

So change = attack.

I agree that attacking an institution can be good, case in point the institution of slavery that marred our history. Our country changed for the good, despite the arguments that favored maintaining traditional slavery.

I'm wondering how you, personally, would suffer from the kind of change that would allow Hollis' and K to enter into a marriage contract, for example.

You may be right, that change equals attack.  Need to think about that.

And sure, if you believe that the traditional definition of marriage is bad in some way, then of course you would believe that attacking it is good.

Attacking can be good.  In this case I don't believe that it is.

But it is an attack going on.  What often happens, is that rather than proponents simply acknowledging that this is what they are doing, attacking the norm of marriage, they often quickly shift gears and say, "well, how am I attacking you?"

Well as Hollis understands, your second question probably means going down that path of natural law.

I'm not sure I want to do that tonight.  I'm happy to do it another time, if that's ok. 

My original pot stirring post had to do with some of the fascistic roots of modern liberal/progressivism. 

2008-02-22 9:18 PM
in reply to: #1230209

User image

De Cracker - You know there's times when I want to be on the left. Like when just my wife and I are in the car and somebody has to drive. I prefer that the somebody be me so I lean to the left on that issue.

Yea, but that doesn't work in the UK.

See how complicated it is?  

2008-02-22 9:19 PM
in reply to: #1230234

User image

Elite
In my bunk with new shoes and purple sweats.
dontracy - 2008-02-22 10:18 PM

De Cracker - You know there's times when I want to be on the left. Like when just my wife and I are in the car and somebody has to drive. I prefer that the somebody be me so I lean to the left on that issue.

Yea, but that doesn't work in the UK.

See how complicated it is?  

It's OK , we don't know where Yuk is anyway.
2008-02-22 9:30 PM
in reply to: #1230225

User image

Buttercup
dontracy - 2008-02-22 10:17 PM
Renee -

So change = attack.

I agree that attacking an institution can be good, case in point the institution of slavery that marred our history. Our country changed for the good, despite the arguments that favored maintaining traditional slavery.

And sure, if you believe that the traditional definition of marriage is bad in some way, then of course you would believe that attacking it is good.

And the other possibility is:

And sure, if you believe that the traditional definition of marriage is bad limiting in some way, then of course you would believe that attacking expanding it is good appropriate and fair.

I'm not as fond of polarizing words like bad/good, especially when there are more precise words available.

2008-02-22 9:34 PM
in reply to: #1230190

User image

Master
dontracy - 2008-02-22 10:07 PM

jimbo - but this is exactly what goldberg does! "liberal fascism"?!?!?

nazis were for organic food. liberals like organic food. liberals are nazis! wow! let's try that logic again: my cat likes chicken. my brother likes chicken. my brother is a cat! so is goldberg misunderstanding very basic concepts, or is he simply ignorant?

No, that's not what he's doing. He's merely filling out the full possibilities on the political spectrum, the type of spectrum that Renee just pointed out.

He's not claiming that there is no fascism on the right.

And no, your logical chain is not his argument. Liking organic food is neutral.

don, fascism is by its nature anti-liberal. that goldberg is unable to wrap his mind around that demonstrates the idiocy of goldberg's book.

here is how roger griffin, a political theorist at oxford and scholar on fascism, has conceptualized fascism:

Fascism: modern political ideology that seeks to regenerate the social, economic, and cultural life of a country by basing it on a heightened sense of national belonging or ethnic identity. Fascism rejects liberal ideas such as freedom and individual rights, and often presses for the destruction of elections, legislatures, and other elements of democracy. Despite the idealistic goals of fascism, attempts to build fascist societies have led to wars and persecutions that caused millions of deaths. As a result, fascism is strongly associated with right-wing fanaticism, racism, totalitarianism, and violence.

i'm not sure what goldberg's scholarly qualifications are for holding a discourse on the nature of fascism.

plenty more on how fascism has been defined is collected here by dave neiwert who has much more detailed criticism of the book elsewhere on his blog (he did read the book, contrary to what you might think).

the effect of all this is that people, like yourself, read goldberg's book and then try to make comparisons between obama rallies and fascist movements, which completely distorts the history of fascism.

anyway, it appears we'll just disagree on this one.
2008-02-22 9:42 PM
in reply to: #1230276

User image

Renee -

And sure, if you believe that the traditional definition of marriage is bad limiting in some way, then of course you would believe that attacking expanding it is good appropriate and fair.

OK.

I would just say that the process by which the expanding is happening very often includes an "attack".

For example with that particular issue, I'd say that state legislatures voting to change laws is not an attack necessarily.  However, cultural campaigns that try to exert influence  through "emotional" arguments often are.

2008-02-22 9:46 PM
in reply to: #1230303

User image

Buttercup
dontracy - 2008-02-22 10:42 PM
Renee -

And sure, if you believe that the traditional definition of marriage is bad limiting in some way, then of course you would believe that attacking expanding it is good appropriate and fair.

OK.

I would just say that the process by which the expanding is happening very often includes an "attack".

For example with that particular issue, I'd say that state legislatures voting to change laws is not an attack necessarily.  However, cultural campaigns that try to exert influence  through "emotional" arguments often are.

Is it just the emotional arguments that are attacks? What about the civil liberties arguments? The reasoned arguments?

It's convenient for your argument to keep using the emotionally laden word "attack" when we're talking about change, and I do agree that some social agitation will occur to secure the change. But that's the American way - make your case, get it heard, get enough people to care about making the change. If that's an attack, then the democratic voice is an attack voice.

2008-02-22 9:46 PM
in reply to: #1230287

User image

jimbo - don, fascism is by its nature anti-liberal.

Well, this gets back to the question of what liberalism actually is.

I'd say that the liberalism of today is not the "classical liberalism" that most of the founders held.  In many ways, it's the opposite.

I think classical liberalism was about freedom.

It seems to me that the progressive liberalism of today really is about license rather than freedom. 

2008-02-22 9:49 PM
in reply to: #1230311

User image

Renee -

Is it just the emotional arguments that are attacks? What about the civil liberties arguments? The reasoned arguments?

It's convenient for your argument to keep using the emotionally laden word "attack" when we're talking about change, and I do agree that some social agitation will occur to secure the change. But that's the American way - make your case, get it heard, get enough people to care about making the change. If that's an attack, then the democratic voice is an attack voice.

Reasoned arguments are always good, because usually they get to the truth. 

I'm not saying that attacks are necessarily bad. I'm just saying that an attack is going on regarding that social issue. 

2008-02-22 9:50 PM
in reply to: #1230316

User image

Buttercup
dontracy - 2008-02-22 10:46 PM

It seems to me that the progressive liberalism of today really is about license rather than freedom. 

Whoa. You don't think that conservatives aren't licentious? Seriously?

2008-02-22 9:50 PM
in reply to: #1230321

User image

Renee -

Whoa. You don't think that conservatives aren't licentious? Seriously?

For example? 

2008-02-22 9:52 PM
in reply to: #1230322

User image

Buttercup

You are serious. Wow. No need for me to continue this exchange.

2008-02-22 9:53 PM
in reply to: #1230287

User image

jimbo - plenty more on how fascism has been defined is collected here by dave neiwert who has much more detailed criticism of the book elsewhere on his blog (he did read the book, contrary to what you might think).

BTW, I shouldn't have said that about Neiwert.  I had no way of knowing whether he read the book or not, so it wasn't fair of me.  I'm glad he did read it. 

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Politics and CoJ... I'm impressed Rss Feed  

of 4