Supersprint
26C / 79F
Sunny
Total Time = 53m 44s
Overall Rank = /2800
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 60/201
Pre-race routine:

Woke up in a frantic panic, ate weetbix, banana and drank oj and water - I went out the night before and ended up getting only 5 hours sleep and forgot to pack my bag the night before - LESSON LEARNT - DO NOT GO OUT THE NIGHT BEFORE A RACE AND MAKE SURE YOU ARE READY TO GO BEFORE YOU GO TO BED!!!!!!
Event warmup:

light stretching and a little jogging - just what I normally do for my training runs
Run
  • 53m
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 18s  min/km
Comments:

this was the longest run I have ever attempted and I was nervous that I would struggle even though I have trained. I was trying to see how bad it felt so I can gauge how much pain I am going to be in during the run leg of the Olympic triathlon in January. Anyway - I felt FINE! I struggled a little at the 6km mark but I was very very happy with my performance - I aimed to complete in 60 minutes and I did it in 53 minutes - so I was very very happy, plus it felt quite good! I saw a movie called "Touching the Void" on Friday night and that made me keep going (see it if you want to know why! Incredible true story of survival and determination)
What would you do differently?:

SLEEP the night before and PREPARE my gear the night before. I would also train more and work on the pyschological aspect of the run (my body had no pain, it was very hot, but I had no pain and in my mind I still wanted to stop, WHY?)
Post race
Warm down:

WAter, water, water, had a quick swim with jack (my 2 yr old) and walked 2 kms to stretch out, got home and slept for 2 hours while jack slept - BLISS!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

preparation, mental strength

Event comments:

Well, I am confident with more training before Jan 23rd (Olympic) that I will complete that course without dying and I could even go faster, just maybe, you never know. I was very happy with what I did today!

Last updated: 2004-12-01 12:00 AM
Running
00:53:00 | 10 kms | 05m 18s  min/km
Age Group: 60/201
Overall: 0/2800
Performance: Good
Course: flat course from catani gardens up through st kilda and back to elwood
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-12-05 4:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: Sussan Women's Fun Run, 10km run

2004-12-05 4:53 AM
in reply to: #89456

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: RE: Sussan Women's Fun Run
Excellent time!!!
Congrats!!!

My dream is to do a 10km in under an hour. It'll happen one day.

I, like you, was enjoying the run, no pain, a little hot, but my mind was telling me to stop...thankfully pushed through. Would have been disappointed otherwise. Would love to know why it happens!!

2004-12-05 11:26 AM

User image

Hey, great job!

53 minutes is an awesome time ,and it was the first time you did that distance...i am impressed.  It sounds like you've set some high standards for yourself, which is great, because that will help you in your training   Congratulations on the run, keep up the good work.

Ivan

2004-12-05 10:13 PM

User image

taswegia
well done M,
thats a pretty good time
working well.
Ian
2004-12-08 5:07 AM
in reply to: #89640

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga
That is a great time on the 10k!  Congratulations, Maryke.  By the way, I think you have the best avatar on the boards, that is a great photograph.
2004-12-09 7:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane
Well done!!

To run a 53min 10km is excellent prep for your Oly Tri in Jan. I'm sure your breeze it.

All the best, Paul

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sussan Women's Fun Run, 10km run Rss Feed