The Cowtown
35F / 2C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 34m 28s
Overall Rank = 678/701
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 59/59
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5 for a quick wake up shower and Clif Bar. Drove out to Sundance Square and found a good parking spot 2 blocks from the finish. Went to the registration tent and got everyting together. Then we had about an hour to kill.

Shannon bought a headband to wear and got a 5 minute massage. Saw David and Scott that I swim with and had a bit of a chat. Then we headed back to the van to shed some clothes. Shannon debated on the jacket, but eventually I was able to talk her down to arm and leg warmers.

Saw Steve and Marcy and hung out with them in the Jamba Juice until it was time to go.
Event warmup:

None. Just tried to thaw out in Jamba Juice before the start.
Run
  • 6h 34m 28s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 15m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

This was the 2nd race Shannon and I have done together. Sometimes it's more fun to run at someone else's pace and get a different perspective of a race. Since this was her first marathon, I wanted to stay with her every step of the way and encourage her to the finish line. I also wanted to get a picture of her at every mile marker!

We ran completely by Shannon's heart rate. 10 miles Z2, 10 miles Z3, 10K with whatever was left. We started pretty far back in line to avoid all the jostling and stuff. This was much smaller than White Rock, so it wasn't too bad.

I had planned on carrying all of Shannon's nutrition and Laurie's camera in a fannypack she got for Christmas. Unfortunately, the straps wouldn't get tight enough and it was bouncing like crazy. I decided to carry the thing like a football instead. I switched arms every mile so it wasn't too bad. And I never fumbled once.

As expected, the first few miles were fast. We laughed at all the different outfits folks had on. One guy who was a pace leader for the 50K ultra had on a cow suit straight out of the Chick Fil A employee wardrobe. But it didn't come close to the dude who sprint in between us for a pass. He was wearing a tight, cutoff cotton shirt, just short enough to let his gut hang out. It reminded me of the cook on the Wedding Singer who had a "Relax (Don't Do It)" shirt on. I yelled, "Woohoo, Frankie Goes to Hollywood rules!" Everyone around apparently had the same idea I did. Lots of laughs.

Marathons are daunting. Hitting the 1 mile mark and thinking, 25.2 more to go can be discouraging. We decided to break it up by how much nutrition was left rather than distance. Shannon wanted to do a package of Sport Beans every 3 miles. That meant 8 packages over the entire race course. It was much easier to say 2 packages down, 6 to go compared to 6 miles down, 20 to go.

Around mile 4, a bad thing started happening. We both had to pee so bad it wasn't even funny. We had to wait 5 minutes for the portapottie, but let me tell you, it was worth it. Unfortunately, I think that cracked the seal for me. Maybe it's that I was taking a cup of water or Powerade at each aid station, or maybe the Tamiflu I started the day before had adverse affects on the urinary stream, but I had to stop 8 FRAKKING TIMES! And it wasn't just a quick pee and gone each time. It was one of those "I drank the big coke before the 3 hour movie but managed to hold it till the end so I didn't miss anything" pees. OK, enough about pee. That's gross.

Anyway, Shannon ran great. She followed her HRM perfectly the first 10 miles. It would beep twice, we'd stop and walk about a minute, then take off again. We weren't going fast, but we were going steady.

After mile 10 the course exited neighborhoods for a couple of miles into the Botanic Gardens. This is where I was really impressed with Shannon. There was a girl that we were yo-yo-ing with for a few miles, but once Shannon got to play in Z3 after mile 10, I thought we could leave her behind. I didn't want to get too competitive since it was Shannon's race, but I was looking back at the corners to see where she was. We slowed to a walk for a second, and Shannon looked back and said "Well, we finally dropped her." YES! I love my wife.

We caught a couple of guys who were doing a similar race to us - one was pacing the other. We talked to them for a few minutes before we took off again. We heard them talking behind us when we left. "Well, I'll run som more, but not as fast as her." That made Shannon smile.

From then on we started giving nicknames to people ahead of us that we were trying to pick off. Those that I can remember were Ted, Bill (get it?), Mo and Ne (as in Nemo?), Blue jacket guy, and Red shirt dude.

At the halfway mark were meeting runners that were at mile 22 for them (loop portion of the course). We (OK, mainly I) talked about how good it was going to feel to be where they were, that close to the finish. This was probably the only place I remember that had a lot of spectators. That included the best set of spectators - they had a keg, donuts, and Snickers. I think I impressed them when I figured out what they had in the keg based on one sip. Miller. Swill.

The next few miles on the loop were draining. Shannon was getting tired and was starting to hurt. She hit the wall at mile 18. The last month or so of not getting to train finally showed up. I was proud of how she kept going though. No quit in this girl. We passed a house that was playing MC Hammer super loud. Maybe that helped her, maybe it didn't. But she perked up for a couple of miles.

We made it back to the beer aid station. By then there was only one guy left, but he was still very encouraging to us. But that was about all there was out there other than the aid stations. Finally got my obligatory Seinfeld reference in at mile 22's aid station. They had PB Pretzels. Of course, I said, "These pretzels are making me THIRSTY!" One of the volunteers yelled back, "These pretzels are making ME thirsty." Love it.

The next few miles along the river we were into the "Run X cones, walk Y cones" movement. This pretty much continued the rest of the race. At mile 25, there was a very unkind uphill. It sucked.

We finally got into downtown and saw mile 26. Then Shannon started to feel it. The last 385 yards were pure joy. We heard the BT cheering crew as soon as we turned the last corner. Right at the finish I grabbed her hand and held it high. My wife was now a Marathoner!
What would you do differently?:

Something besides that fanny pack. Carrying the equivalent of a football was annoying.

Not have to pee every 3 miles?
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit to get finisher's shirts, then to the van to go eat Freebirds!

Event comments:

A decent small race. Course was hillier than I would have liked, and spectators were sparse. Otherwise, there was plenty of support and traffic control.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-12-12 12:00 AM
Running
06:34:28 | 26.2 miles | 15m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 59/59
Overall: 678/701
Performance: Good
1st half - 3:02:40 2nd half - 3:31:47
Course: Hilly loop course all around Ft Worth.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-02-27 9:37 PM

User image

Master
McKinney, TX
Subject: The Cowtown Marathon

2008-02-27 9:47 PM
in reply to: #1240403

User image

port orchard, wa
Subject: RE: The Cowtown Marathon
Congratulations to both of you. Glad she stuck it out. When you hit the wall that is when you really find out what you're made of.
2008-02-28 9:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Allen
Finally!  Someone gets the pretzel quote! 
2008-02-28 9:12 AM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Whoop Whoop!
2008-02-28 1:13 PM

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas
Fantastic!  I love reading stories like this...you and your wife will remember this race for a long time! 
2008-03-02 11:36 AM

User image

Master
Keller Tx
Yeah!  it had to be fun to stay together the whole day

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Cowtown Marathon Rss Feed