CLOSED

of 10

2008-02-29 2:30 AM

User image

Champion
Sydney
Subject: Seriously Spooky Cats

Welcome to the March Challenge....

A relatively new addition to Peep town the mysterious Spooky Cats and their cousins the Cocoa cats are feared by many of  their towns inhabitants who believe they are a sign of bad luck to come.

Just like the 'new' theme many of this team are new to tri's and you have your own team cheerleader!

Your team line up is:

1. bang182

2. esc

3. jacsuza

4. kpb421

5. mindji

6. Shawn13

7. shhtri

8. smeador

9. sunmonkey72

10. Timmeh!

Team Cheerleader: zipp1

Please take the time wherever you can to get to know your team members through team chatter here and inspires on their logs. The more motivation you can give each other, the higher chance you wont be declared  marshmallows at the end of the month! (I mean who doesnt like some team support to get them going?)

You need to chose a team captain and I will drop back in the next couple of days with a spreadsheet for you to use to track your team results. I will set up a teamcaptain/ leaders thread for each team to check in everyweek.

As mentioned in the original post reporting weeks for the challenge are as follows:

Week 1: March 1 - 9
Week 2: March: 10- 16
Week 3: March 17 -23
Week 4: March 24-31

Please make sure your logs are up to date at the end of each week, and don't forget to report your weekly results to your team!

You can increase your individual goal anytime throughout the challenge, just make sure your team captain knows of the change so they can let me know in the weekly check ins. I will post an update on the challenge in a thread each week and let your team know when it is ready... I make these on a separate thread as its a good chance to mention how great you are going to the other teams!!!

In case you missed it there is a loosing penalty for this challenge:
1) If your team looses the Peep Wars then you will be required to change your avatar to a Peep/Marshmellow for the month of April
2) If you fail to meet your personal goal in the Peep Wars, you must add a signature line that declares " I am a marshmellow and need to harden/toughen up!" for the month of April

FINALLY... this is a competition so feel free to drop in on the other teams with pictures, comments and banter - they will probably do it to you!

So I suggest you introduce yourself to your team below with information like your training history, upcoming goals, family life.. whatever you like to share.. and THEN... RIDE YOUR BIKE! Im sure no one wants to end the month as a Peep, or a marshmallow!

Happy cycling
Cat

2008-02-29 2:43 AM
in reply to: #1242959

User image

Champion
Sydney
Subject: RE: Seriously Spooky Cats

An image of your namesake to get the team started:

(Spooky Cats.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Spooky Cats.jpg (59KB - 318 downloads)
2008-02-29 2:56 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Morning Cats,

I'm Judi, your official cheerleader.  It's my understanding this is a newbie team and I was a newbie last summer for the Tour de France challenge.  I'm recovering from pneumonia (up at the wee hours coughing so I came out to BT so as not to wake my husband).  I have no stated bike goal because as I gain my health back I'm sill trying to prepare for my first half marathon in mid April so running (or wralking as the case may be) is high priority.  My bike will be in the shop for a spring tune up this week too--I can't do anything physical until late next week anyway--may as well let the shop giver her a once over so we'll be ready together.

I like to inspire my teammates--pretty much daily and will drop by to visit your logs with inspires/kicks in the pants--whatever it takes to get you moving toward the goal.  Remember, spinning classes, gym bikes, trainer rides, and outside rides all count so log it all in there.

Let's have a geat challenge month of riding!

2008-02-29 10:56 AM
in reply to: #1242970

I've never seen these before. They're kind of creepy compared the Easter ones I'm used to. So we're scary - in a good way

Hi everybody. Hopefully you guys will help keep me on track so I can improve in biking this month the same way I was able to in swimming last month. Can't wait for it to warm up a little so I can get outside on the bike too. I'm doing my first tri in June, and I'm definitely getting excited. Also definitely thinking I need to ride my bike a lot before I'll be ready.

Edited by kpb421 2008-02-29 10:59 AM
2008-02-29 3:01 PM

Veteran
Hello all, I am digging the Spooky Cats Peeps! Being quite new to all of this I am really looking forward to the challenge!

BTW, given that it is leap day of all things and technically does not count in most circles, except for interest calculations, does my 12 miles today count?

Edited by bang182 2008-02-29 3:03 PM
2008-02-29 4:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville, FL
Hi Peeps! I'm training for the Florida 70.3 in May, so I have some seriously spooky hours to do this month - 27. When I'm indoors on the trainer, my cat sits on the shelf and watches, so I'm trying to be consistent with the team name. Looking forward to the month starting tomorrow with a 2 hour (taper week) ride!

2008-02-29 4:52 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

Hey everyone - digging the team name.  Maybe Black Cat by Janet Jackson can be our team fight song.

Anyhow...I'm new to the world of triathlon.  I have my first sprint coming up on April 20.  The bike is definitely the weakest of the three sports for me and the one I'm most worried about.  Hoping to work hard during the next month and a half to build some stamina.  Don't want to fall over during the run because I suck at the bike!

2008-02-29 7:06 PM

User image

Hi

I'm mindji, Peggy for real! This is my second challenge; I did the swim one last month ...and succeeded! I find this an excellent way to push myself and be accountable.

I am a triathlon newbie, with no fixed date for a competition yet...but I am looking to do one in the summer and maybe more. I do run in local races and have done marathons. Swimming is something that I have always done, so now is the time to fulfill my dream of doing a triathlon....why not?

I have a road bike, cheap....I have a stationary, old....I have legs, raring to go. One thing that I hope to gain from this challenge is endurance and fitness! I always want to know about bike trainers and how to use them. Are they hard to use etc....Who is using one at the moment? Any tips?

I look forward to meeting you all in the next few weeks!

Well, catch you later!

Biking tomorrow!
2008-02-29 7:20 PM
in reply to: #1245109

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

mindji - 2008-02-29 7:06 PM Hi I'm mindji, Peggy for real! This is my second challenge; I did the swim one last month ...and succeeded! I find this an excellent way to push myself and be accountable. I am a triathlon newbie, with no fixed date for a competition yet...but I am looking to do one in the summer and maybe more. I do run in local races and have done marathons. Swimming is something that I have always done, so now is the time to fulfill my dream of doing a triathlon....why not? I have a road bike, cheap....I have a stationary, old....I have legs, raring to go. One thing that I hope to gain from this challenge is endurance and fitness! I always want to know about bike trainers and how to use them. Are they hard to use etc....Who is using one at the moment? Any tips? I look forward to meeting you all in the next few weeks! Well, catch you later! Biking tomorrow!
I have a mag trainer, there are several types of trainers on the market.  Basic premise is you fit the rear wheel in and screw the pieces together, front wheel is supported on  a plastic device for holding it.  A fluid trainer is better, not sure why but it is.  If you live in an area that is still pretty snowy, a trainer makes getting the miles or hours in easy.  You can ride while watching TV or a movie.  Or if you're a SAHM while the little one is napping...More accessible to the family than going to the gym to hit a stationary and no time limits imposed other than your own...You can pick up trainers for under $100.00 which is nice considering the $$ that goes into tri related purchases.  Check out www.performancebikes.com  (it may just be performance, I don't remember) these guys have awesome customer service and will answer any questions over the phone.  A couple of SPINeRVAL videos make the trainer a good fit because Coach Troy is pretty energetic and does a good job explaining what the workout is focusing on, what position you should be in, the cadence he is looking for...Though he can get irritating ("1 minute down, 9 to go"--no lie)

A lot of people also use rollers which I am interested in but am not ready for.  These have nothing holding you in place.  It's like riding on a conveyor belt without a belt so your balance and handling really come into focus.  One guy on my friends list recently got a set and noticed a big improvement when he was able to get outside last week.

Hope that helps.

Hey, who is going to captain this squad of Scary Peeps Cats?  The job requires some spreadsheet and computer skills but isn't hard if everyone is diligent about logging in their rides.

2008-02-29 11:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Cedar Rapids, IA
Hello Everyone!

My name is Tim and I'm checking in for duty on team Serious Spooky Cat! I've been running for a couple of years but I am new to the tri world. My first one will be this June. I just bought a new Felt Z35 and am anxious to spend some time on it! I'm up to my Peeps in snow outside, so it looks like March will be all indoor trainer time for me.

Judi, thanks for the motivation! Good luck on your pneumonia recovery. I had it back in January and I never have had anything that made me feel more miserable than that!
2008-03-01 12:41 AM
in reply to: #1245388

User image

Champion
Sydney

Timmeh! - 2008-03-01 4:04 PM Hello Everyone! My name is Tim and I'm checking in for duty on team Serious Spooky Cat! I've been running for a couple of years but I am new to the tri world. My first one will be this June. I just bought a new Felt Z35 and am anxious to spend some time on it! I'm up to my Peeps in snow outside, so it looks like March will be all indoor trainer time for me. Judi, thanks for the motivation! Good luck on your pneumonia recovery. I had it back in January and I never have had anything that made me feel more miserable than that!

Despite the fact I admire European bikes... I do LOVE Felts... I do I do I do!

Besides Emma Snowsill rides them which makes them 100% AWESOME to me! 

2008-03-01 12:53 AM

User image

Champion
Sydney
HI Team - just to let you know you have a new team member called nhaefs! Hopefully they will drop in and say hello
2008-03-01 6:52 AM
in reply to: #1245388

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Timmeh! - 2008-02-29 11:04 PM Hello Everyone! My name is Tim and I'm checking in for duty on team Serious Spooky Cat! I've been running for a couple of years but I am new to the tri world. My first one will be this June. I just bought a new Felt Z35 and am anxious to spend some time on it! I'm up to my Peeps in snow outside, so it looks like March will be all indoor trainer time for me. Judi, thanks for the motivation! Good luck on your pneumonia recovery. I had it back in January and I never have had anything that made me feel more miserable than that!
Thanks Tim,  I have never felt more miserable either. My asthma only flares when I'm sick so it's a double whammy on my lungs right now. A Felt...wow, sweet ride.  Hey team-tell us about your ride--what kind of bike you have, if you are fortunate enough to NOT be up to your eyeballs in snow and ride outside about your loops...all the good stuff you can think of!  My roadie is  a Fuji Roubaix, bought it last summer. Put clip on aero bars and a split seat for Christmas.  Hybrid is a Schwinn, don't ride it much...

Emily, I love the idea of a fight song. 
AND WE NEED SOMEONE TO STEP UP TO CAPTAIN THIS SQUAD!

2008-03-01 11:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville, FL
zipp1, we have the same bike! I've had mine for a few years - my first two years of sprint triathlons were in the "fat tire" division on my hybrid, and then I upgraded to the Roubaix when I started doing Oly distance. I did my first HIM on it with clip on aerobars, and I plan on using it this year for the Florida 70.3 and IMFL. I did finally get a real saddle - I had been riding on that concrete-hard stock saddle for quite a few years, and just upgraded to a Terry Butterfly a few weeks ago. Such a difference. And my bike is RED!

Now I'm off for my 2-hour ride!
2008-03-01 11:36 AM

User image

Master
Victoria BC
Hey Everyone. This will be my third challenge first I did a run then swimming so the biking just came on at a perfect time. I must say that I have totally avoided biking this last month. not because I don't like it but because I struggle with swimming so much that I really needed to work on it. I just decided to get into triathlons last November or so I guess. I bought one of the bikes that was used for a Local Cops for Cancer tour and love it. It is a Specialized Allez and have added some Profile Design Airstrykes and just one the PD Razor Carbon Seat post on one of the auction right here on BT. I am going by my training plan for my hours this month I hope to go beyond that as I have with every other challenge. The weather is getting nicer and will be able to ride outside I am hoping more. I am currently in school and will be for the next 2 weeks finishing up my 2nd year of my theory potion of the electrical apprenticeship. My girlfriend works 2-3 nights a week and on the weekends and between us we have 5 kids from the age range of 13 years to 13 months. It is a very busy house and I try to get in any training I can at any available time. Like this morning it is swimming lessons so I hope to get in and Spin for that time and maybe get on the bike outdoors later today when the gf gets home. I understand that we are all new to tri's and that is awesome that just means we will have to share any of our experience as we can. Who knows I am sure some of us have struggled with many of the same issues and can help each other out with a solution!!

Glad to be apart of Team Seriously Spooky Cats!!

Shawn
2008-03-01 11:39 AM
in reply to: #1244929

User image

Master
Victoria BC
esc - 2008-02-29 2:52 PM

Hey everyone - digging the team name. Maybe Black Cat by Janet Jackson can be our team fight song.

Anyhow...I'm new to the world of triathlon. I have my first sprint coming up on April 20. The bike is definitely the weakest of the three sports for me and the one I'm most worried about. Hoping to work hard during the next month and a half to build some stamina. Don't want to fall over during the run because I suck at the bike!

I have my first Sprint on April 20th also!!!

2008-03-01 1:21 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Glad so many of you are checking in.  Weekends are usually big training/racing times with minimal chatter on the boards.

I walked again today--same loop as yesterday and in 15 minutes less without wheezing   Yes, I'm jonsin' to go for a real run or ride...Y'all have permission to smack me if I do too much--that isn't something I say easily either

2008-03-01 2:10 PM

User image

Master
Victoria BC
Well I got my first half hour ride in, it was on a stationary but that is all I could get this morning when the kids were in swim lessons. Got 12.09 miles in the 30 min and a good leg burn. Is there a spreadsheet to log to or is it just off of our training logs.
2008-03-01 4:53 PM

User image

Hi fellow Cat!

I also got in my first hour of biking...albeit on the stationary bike...which will probably be the case. I got my heart rate up and kept it up for the session! Whew! I got the burn...could tell that it was a good session when walking down the stairs shortly after! .

So....who is captain? And yes...I was going to ask the question about the spreadsheet.

Let's get it started!

Peggy
2008-03-01 5:10 PM

User image

Master
Victoria BC
So I went out for a nice EASY ride to the lbs and put in another 25 min. So I think that is a good start to the month
2008-03-01 5:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville, FL
I would volunteer, but I have absolutely zero spreadsheet skills. One of my students made fun of me for not knowing how to do something in an Excel column when I was reviewing his grade with him. He sneered and said, "I learned how to use Excel in middle school." Well, you little snot, Excel didn't exist when I was in middle school, and that's not going to help the "D" grade you earned in my class. But I digress ...

2 hours and 1 minute on a great ride today! A little windy going out on the trail but I reaped the benefits coming back!

2008-03-01 5:18 PM
in reply to: #1246070

User image

Champion
Taser-World
shhtri - 2008-03-01 6:17 PM

I would volunteer, but I have absolutely zero spreadsheet skills. One of my students made fun of me for not knowing how to do something in an Excel column when I was reviewing his grade with him. He sneered and said, "I learned how to use Excel in middle school." Well, you little snot, Excel didn't exist when I was in middle school, and that's not going to help the "D" grade you earned in my class. But I digress ...

2 hours and 1 minute on a great ride today! A little windy going out on the trail but I reaped the benefits coming back!

LOL, but it was a fun digression.

Nice ride today!

2008-03-01 5:40 PM
in reply to: #1245874

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

ShawnC13 - 2008-03-01 2:10 PM Well I got my first half hour ride in, it was on a stationary but that is all I could get this morning when the kids were in swim lessons. Got 12.09 miles in the 30 min and a good leg burn. Is there a spreadsheet to log to or is it just off of our training logs.

Cat usually does spread sheets differently than Dee.  We will have one maintained by the captain--whomever is stepping up to the job...Cat will probably have these out in a few days, she's still adding on late sign ons and such.   Dee's google sheets are easy for each person to maintain but you need to know a whole lot about computer programming to set up those sheets. The ones Cat does are different.  THe captain keeps one on their computer and sends a weekly update on the captain's thread so Cat will review the numbers and send out each weeks standings.

Great job on a time crunched spin!

2008-03-01 5:57 PM
in reply to: #1246100

User image

Champion
Sydney
zipp1 - 2008-03-02 10:40 AM

ShawnC13 - 2008-03-01 2:10 PM Well I got my first half hour ride in, it was on a stationary but that is all I could get this morning when the kids were in swim lessons. Got 12.09 miles in the 30 min and a good leg burn. Is there a spreadsheet to log to or is it just off of our training logs.

Cat usually does spread sheets differently than Dee. We will have one maintained by the captain--whomever is stepping up to the job...Cat will probably have these out in a few days, she's still adding on late sign ons and such. Dee's google sheets are easy for each person to maintain but you need to know a whole lot about computer programming to set up those sheets. The ones Cat does are different. THe captain keeps one on their computer and sends a weekly update on the captain's thread so Cat will review the numbers and send out each weeks standings.

Yup Cat will produce standard excel sheets - however if you want to put your teams up in google spreadsheet thats up to the team... I dont mind how its done as long as I get a cumulative update for everyone each week!

I should point out at this point that Im a little non-tech.... I can use excel but Im certainly not a whizz like Dee! (and dont ask me about team tables.. thats when I get really useless!!!

2008-03-01 6:35 PM
in reply to: #1246100

User image

Champion
Taser-World
zipp1 - 2008-03-01 6:40 PM

Cat usually does spread sheets differently than Dee. We will have one maintained by the captain--whomever is stepping up to the job...Cat will probably have these out in a few days, she's still adding on late sign ons and such. Dee's google sheets are easy for each person to maintain but you need to know a whole lot about computer programming to set up those sheets. The ones Cat does are different. THe captain keeps one on their computer and sends a weekly update on the captain's thread so Cat will review the numbers and send out each weeks standings.

Uh, not really.

I plan on uploading Cat's spreadsheets to Google for the teams. I just haven't told her yet. So... shhhh - it's a secret. LOL

(Oh wait, I probably should have written that in secret font. LOL)

The spreadsheets that I write ARE regular EXCEL spreadsheets. Then I upload them. That's it. No fancy programming needed.

New Thread
CLOSED
Other Resources Challenge Me! » Seriously Spooky Cats Rss Feed  

of 10