Palouse Road Runners
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 03m 42s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 0545, fixed breakfast to eat on the way, then drove 1 3/4 hours to the race with my brother.
Event warmup:

Tried to stay out of the wind as much as possible and kept bundled up until just before race time. Ran about 5 minutes to get the blood pumping a little bit. Planned on making this race a LSD training day so didn't get too worked up about it.
Run
  • 2h 03m 42s
  • 13.2 miles
  • 09m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

The wind was absolutely howling and at the start, it was right in our faces. The first half mile of the race was into the wind, which didn't make much difference at that point. After the first half mile or so, the road took a bend along the river and the wind calmed just a little bit. Another bend and suddenly the wind was behind us and from there on to the turn-around it was really hard to stay on my planned pace. Felt good though and heart rate was under control so just went with the tail wind.
At the turn around was where things got really ugly! The wind was blowing a steady 20-25mph with gusts up to 40 at times and frequent gusts in the 30+ range. It was blowing so hard that at times you would almost come to a halt in mid-stride. So...it was just put your head down and keep plodding. Gut check time. Around mile 11-ish, the wind died a little bit and then just to mock us, the last half mile there was a little bit of a tail wind. I didn't really push at all with the wind blowing the way it was, just kind of plodded along trying to keep my heart rate under control. But for about 4 1/2-5 miles it was like running up a steep hill. Good training!
What would you do differently?:

Not much other than ask the weather man for a better day!
Post race
Warm down:

Wasn't really even breathing hard when I got done so just walked over to the food tables and ate a bit. Congratulated my brother John (soretaint) on his excellent race! We waited around for the awards ceremony to see some friends get some bling.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wind, wind, and more wind. My legs got a little tired by about mile 10 but that was just due to lack of running. Less than 60 miles since the first of the year so the ol' pins need more conditioning!

Event comments:

This is a pretty good race and well attended for the remote location and time of year. Roughly 350 people ran it. The winning time was 1:10 and change which given the conditions and early season was pretty remarkable. Very competitive race this year...last years winner was 7th this year.

Last updated: 2008-03-03 12:00 AM
Running
02:03:42 | 13.2 miles | 09m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course: Very flat out and back on pavement.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-03-03 7:08 AM

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
Subject: Snake River Canyon Half Marathon

2008-03-03 8:05 AM
in reply to: #1248350

User image

Expert
Spokane, Washington
Subject: RE: Snake River Canyon Half Marathon
Hey hey, great run! 
2008-03-03 3:51 PM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Good job in adverse weather conditions.
2008-03-04 7:25 AM

User image

Spokane
Great run out there in the wind! I knew it was blowing hard when it stopped me in my tracks too.  Can't wait for next year!
2008-03-05 4:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, WA
Well that was fun................wasn't it?? Great run, it's always fun spending time together!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Snake River Canyon Half Marathon Rss Feed