United States
Set-up Inc
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 14m 4s
Overall Rank = 154/294
Age Group = C
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I went down the night before with Flying Tiger and his daughter. We ate at "The Dock House" the night before with Jim, Amy, Mandy and Nola. I had the Seafood Alfredo and it had way to much sauce for the pasta. Don't get it next year!
We stayed at the Days Inn and I fell asleep at 930. I was sick and up all night barfing and with GI distress the night before. I still had (have) a sore throat. Woke up feeling better. Two pieces of toast, danishx2, bagelettex1 coffee (1/2 cup). Drank 1/2 a bottle of Gatorade.
Event warmup:

This is a pool start. Got transition ready and then sat at the pool watching. Still a little nervous this year but not nearly as much as two years ago. Swam some laps in the pool after taking a goo 15 minutes before my start time. I timed some laps to geta good pacing clue. I was surprised that 25 second laps were too easy. I had forgotten what time I had posted (1:50s) and underestimating myself cost me.
Swim
  • 09m 26s
  • 547 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

OK. I was sick so I thought I would take it easy. I started running into people on the first lap! They were going wayyyyyy to slow. I don't think I swam a half a length of the pool without a break in my rhythm. I had to pass around 10 people and that took a lot more energy to pass. I easily could knock off a minute from this time if I seeded myself higher.
What would you do differently?:

Seed myself at 1:40 per 100. I guess I'm just faster under race conditions than I thought (a nice problem to have!).
Transition 1
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

This was a C race so I didn't practice Ts. Next year when I do sprintarama 2009 I will work on this more.

Leave shoes on the bike.
Bike
  • 36m 52s
  • 13 miles
  • 21.16 mile/hr
Comments:

I misaligned my magnet on the front wheel and the computer did not work. The choices were to stop and fix it or just keep going. I said screw it since I was sick and just road comfortable. I found a woman going along at a good pace and (staying 3-4 lengths back) paced off of her. I didn't draft!!!!!
I pushed on occasion but I didn't want to bonk on the run given how crappy I was feeling at the start of the race. there was no wind at the end of the course this early so that wasn't a problem.
I knew my time would be fairly good because Andrew's bike was still in the transition area.

Not much. This is almost 2mph faster than last year. The less monitoring I've been using the fasterI seem to go. This felt pretty good as well.
Transition 2
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

Went fast but I was not practiced.

Practice
Run
  • 25m 11s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

Not enough bricks lately. A gal finished next to me in my rack after I destroyed her on the swim. I wanted to keep pace and toast her on the run but she went off like a rocket. I felt like I was running in sand.
I found another pacer and followed her for the first half of the run. She seemed like she was going fairly slow but my calves were tight. After the turn around I started to loosen up and I picked a new pacer. I picked blonde gal and when I stopped to get a pebble out of my shoe she encouraged me to go on.
"Just wait!" I said, " I have a great kick!" we paced off each other and around the last two turns I started to lengthen my stride. I have a good kick and I finished very strong.

More bricks. This did not feel good. Wear socks. I got blisters. If I hadn't run my 24:18 last weekend, this would have been my PR.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around. Stretched actively. Drank some water and had a a BAck Yard Burger. Yum!!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I was sick. I won't make that a big excuse as I topped my time by 7:00 from last year and I think there is more in the tank. I need to do more bricks. My training has been marginal lately due to heavy work demands and illness. This race was a good kick in the pants. i feel like I'm on the verge of getting a lot better or sliding back to the mediocre.

Event comments:

I like this race as the first event of the year. It was great seeing Mandy and Flying Tiger get their first race under their belt. I'll be back next year and hope to break 1:10.

Last updated: 2008-03-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:26 | 547 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 86/
Overall: 0/294
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri-suit
Course: This was a pool swim with 25m laps down and back and under the lane lines.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:34
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:36:52 | 13 miles | 21.16 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 161/294
Performance: Good
Wow!
Wind: None
Course: Easy loop around the base. Flat, decent roads.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:03
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:25:11 | 03.11 miles | 08m 06s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 168/294
Performance: Good
No HR data.
Course: Flat out and back. One water station.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-03-16 8:12 AM

User image

Elite
Evans, GA
Subject: Parris Island Triathlon

2008-03-16 9:31 AM
in reply to: #1274411

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.
Subject: RE: Parris Island Triathlon
Great job...especially being sick.
2008-03-16 12:56 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Looks like you did great despite feeling ill!  Nice race!
2008-03-16 4:35 PM

User image

Master
Tiger's Den

I think I remember seeing you eating that burger. Were you parked in the parking lot where the porto pottys were?

Nice race, especially since you were sick. I put my swim time in at 1:40 and it was just right. The guy I passed was clearly not at 1:40 pace since he started at a minimum of 30 seconds ahead of me and I passed him...., but otherwise, I think I was in the right spot.

Wish I had your bike split!!! Maybe I need to take the bike computer off... 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Parris Island Triathlon Rss Feed