Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Bike
  • 6h 25m 34s
  • 100 miles
  • 15.56 mile/hr
Comments:

I did this event, last year, but I only did the 40 mile course. Well, this year I decided to bump that up a little. They added a 75 and 100 mile route. This year I decided to do the 100.

The 100... why not.. new bike.. new wheels... it was begging me to ride it. ;) This was my first Century ride. My longest ride this year, leading up to this event was 35 miles, which was last week with others from BT. haha.. so.. why not bump it up 65 miles. haha.

The alarm went off at 4:15 AM. I finally crawled out at 4:30. After loading everything and heading out, I noticed that I needed some gas and air in one of my tires. (no, I wasn't going to use the bike pump..lol) So, after a quick stop at Wally World, I got some gas and then had to go to 3 different stations to find a working air compressor. I finally get on the road and then get stuck behind a wreck on 30. The 75 and 100 mile riders were getting on the road and I was stuck in traffic. Good stuff.. I finally get there and run to registration. I fill out the paper work and hand over the money. At this point the all other routes are heading out.. lol. The only one left is the 8 mile route. I finally get everything together and hit the road at 8:20 AM.

My legs were a little stiff starting out, from starting Crossfit, this past week. After a few miles, everything started feeling fine. I am now catching people from the other groups and passing. As I am passing some of the other riders, I started remembering the course from last year. I remember that the roads were not great, the wind sucked, and the hills sucked even more. haha.. I was making much better time this year. I passed the two areas that Johnny had flats, then the hill where we saw a guy getting CPR. I was making really good time and having fun. Before I knew it, I was coming up on the hill that handed me my butt last year. This year, not a problem... ;) I had to walk that hill last year. One hill paid back... one left. I found that one and nailed it too. This was turning out to be a great ride. At that point, I was averaging a little over 18 mph. This would change soon. haha

Things started sucking, not too long after I passed the church, where I turned off, last year. At this point, I am in new territory. I really think this is where most of the climbs came in to the route. There were hills that I was reading 4.x on the climb, but I made up for some of those on the back side. Being gravity gifted, I saw 44 on one of the down hills. I love my aerobars.. ;) I spent quite a bit of time in them today. There was one hill right before rest stop 9.. about 80 miles or so in.. that I totally lost my legs. I couldn't spin, so I ended up walking part of this hill. I was about 20 yards from the top, but I had nothing. haha. Once I got to the top, I stretched the legs for about 1 minute and then off I went. I stopped at the rest stop and filled the bottles. The volunteers told me that a few others just headed out, so I went looking. haha. Having someone in front of me, gives me something to work on. I passed a few more right before the last rest stop, but I had to pass them again, since I thought we were turning right...that was just for the rest stop. so after a minute or so, I turned back around and went the correct direction. haha. I was only a few miles from the finish. I rolled across the line and then headed straight for the car.

All in all, I am really happy. There were a lot of hills.. and I do not like hills. I guess now that I can actually wear a cycle jersey and am a tad bit lighter this year, the hills are not as bad. And hey.. this was my first Century.. So I am happy. Plus, all the money they raise, is for a GREAT cause.

What would you do differently?:

I would get there on time. Starting late, caused me to start faster than I should have, which I paid for in the end. I also didn't get to meet up with the other BT'rs that were there.

I would have also tested out the new wheels a little more. I ended up having problems with my derailleur. I had two rings that I really could not use, which caused more problems than I needed on the hills.
Post race
Warm down:

Loaded the car, called the wife, got gas, and started the 45 minute drive back to the house.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hills, ability, and mechanicle issues.

Event comments:

The event was on time.... but not me.. lol

I will continue to do this event.

Last updated: 2008-03-29 12:00 AM
Biking
06:25:34 | 100 miles | 15.56 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: 100 Mile road course. Some bad roads.. some good.. Lots of hills.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-03-29 6:47 PM

User image

Master
Sachse
Subject: Ride For Heroes - 100mi

2008-03-29 8:11 PM
in reply to: #1301750

User image

Champion
Butler
Subject: RE: Ride For Heroes - 100mi
Great job.  45 min ride home?  Took me 1:15 and I live closer.  Man you must have been flying.
2008-03-29 8:39 PM
in reply to: #1301832

User image

Master
Sachse
kproudfoot - 2008-03-29 8:11 PM

Great job.  45 min ride home?  Took me 1:15 and I live closer.  Man you must have been flying.

lol... that little red ChickUV will fly!...especially when I have the Griffen on the top! lol

Kenny
2008-03-30 11:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Nice job Kenny - but wait, don't you usually run 100 miles???
2008-03-30 11:35 AM
in reply to: #1302495

User image

Master
Sachse
Dad23 - 2008-03-30 11:17 AM

Nice job Kenny - but wait, don't you usually run 100 miles???

haha.. well.. if you can call it that. I have to try and keep them "even"... just don't expect me to be swimming a 100 miles.. lol

Kenny
2008-03-31 9:24 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Great job Kenny! You are so weird. "Hey, I haven't ridden over 45 miles this year... why not do a 100 miler!" HA!

That's a HARD 100 miles too! Those hills are serious.

Oh and on Sunday when I was doing loop after loop around WRL, I kicked myself in the butt for not making the rally. Sounds like dispite the clouds, the weather was fine.

Great job on your first 100 miler! Now, get some focus to your IM training and a plan... so you don't overtrain before the big day.

2008-03-31 9:38 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Congrats on your first 100 miler! I wanted to do that ride again this year, but I helped to organize a 5k run that was Saturday morning. Glad to hear that no one was getting CPR on the course this year!
2008-03-31 7:49 PM

User image

Champion
the colony texas

nice training build up to this ride...  

great job out there 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ride For Heroes - 100mi Rss Feed