General Discussion Race Reports! » Bank of America Shamrock Shuffle - 8K Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Bank of America Shamrock Shuffle - 8K - Run8k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Chicago, Illinois
United States
42F / 6C
Overcast
Total Time = 50m 28s
Overall Rank = 14225/22575
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 2427/4431
Pre-race routine:

Ate pre-race muffin. Visited the porta-potties twice.
Event warmup:

Walked around a bit and did a short, light run.
Run
  • 50m 28s
  • 5 miles
  • 10m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

This year they kept everyone in Corrals based on previous shuffle times and whether or not you had run the marathon in the past (I was corral D because of this). Then the open corral started with 8 minute miles. Each pace group crossed about 5 minutes after the previous...so people had actually finished before the next group began. All in all, it was a great start and helped prevent too much congestion on the course (which happens when you have 20,000+ runners).

The run itself was great. Felt good to be back on the asphalt again. Was able to maintain sub 10 miles in the beginning until I almost lost my morning muffin. Perhaps too much water was consumed?

Garmin logged 5.15 miles, but I think it was off from the tunnel. They also added a second water stop this year.

Overall, I broke my PR by nearly 4 minutes. I've been working hard in the off season and it paid off...and the best part, I didn't feel fatigued after and know I could've pushed myself a little bit harder. Lots of room for improvement this year.
What would you do differently?:

Not slow down as much as I did when I almost threw up my muffin. I would've broken 50 minutes...I also may have worn shorts.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched and found my hubby in the chaos of the finish chute.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Almost throwing up.

Event comments:

It's tradition!

Last updated: 2008-02-08 12:00 AM
Running
00:50:28 | 05 miles | 10m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 2427/4431
Overall: 14225/22575
Performance: Average
Course: Through downtown chicago, First few miles are part of the Chicago Marathon course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-04-01 10:35 AM

User image

Expert
Chicago
Subject: Bank of America Shamrock Shuffle - 8K
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bank of America Shamrock Shuffle - 8K Rss Feed