General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone battling clinical depression??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2008-04-08 5:41 PM
in reply to: #1315653

Veteran
Subject: RE: Anyone battling clinical depression???
Hi folks,

Sorry for not being in touch. Head not too well.

I don't really know what to say.

Feel exhausted all the time so it is very difficult to do any type of training.

Have been in bed for the past 3 days. Don't have the will to get up.

I take Effexor (150 mg). I used tpo take double but it neve worked so the doctor cut down the dose.

I had counselling for 11 months but it did not help.

Too tired to live.

2008-04-10 8:27 AM

Huntingdon, UK
I suffered from acute combat stress. Not full blown PTSD but enough crap to make me duck when a door shuts, have a plan to "engage" all persons I saw on the street who looked "suspicious", etc. I did 2 tours in Iraq and a tour in Afghanistan. They went like this. 2003 Iraq, 2004 Afghanistan, 2005-2006 Iraq.

While doing combat conditioning one day, I had a severe panic attack. We were running the obstacle course with simulated arty rounds going off and smoke everywhere to create the fog of war and to simulate the sights and sounds of combat. Great training. So I had a panic attack, freaked out, didn't know I was training and thought I was in a real combat zone.

I had been dealing with dreams, and small panic attacks for several months but shook them off as me being weak. Depression was setting in as I saw myself as a weak person who could not control his emotions or mind.

In the infantry we have a saying: "The brain is like a house with many rooms, there are some rooms that we do not enter", some being fear, doubt, uncertaincy, etc. I realized that I had allowied myself to enter one of these rooms and had not dealt with some of the sights and sounds that I had experianced the right way. I sought help that day.

Help was amazing in all honsety. I saw three doc's that day, got meds (paxil) and started treatment. The great thing was, my platoon treated me no different. With some encouragement I began to bounce back to being myself.

So here I am, a real heartbreaker/lifetaker again. Loving life.

2008-04-14 6:42 PM
in reply to: #1315971

New user

RThomas,
my doctor recommended to me "light therapy." I suffer from depression as well and it spirals during the months of January until I can get outside in the sun. They are not too expensive; may be well worth not using medication if you suffer seasonally. He called it SAD-Seasonal Attention Disorder.

Hope it helps you.
2008-04-14 7:39 PM

User image

Champion
Wisconsin
Do you mean Seasonal Affective Disorder? 
2008-04-14 8:34 PM
in reply to: #1337896

New user

That's it. Thanks for clarifying.
2008-07-05 2:10 PM
in reply to: #1324617

User image

Veteran
Everyone on my Dad's side of my family gets really bad depression. From the Grandma to the cousins. I get depression really bad, one wrong trigger and I'm out for anywhere from a couple of days to a couple of months. Personally, training is the only thing that helps mine, which is why I do Triathlons.

2008-07-05 3:39 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua

Update since last year. 

My primary doctor says it's time to get off the meds.  I'm to finish current script and then 2 month of half.  I guess I'm ready.  I handle most the world.  I just don't want to put Y and Willie through anything else.  I like the plan and will probably set up some consoling as I go off.  Kinda like a mind change.  Doctors impressed with my training and activity.  As usual lose some weight.   

2008-07-05 5:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New York, NY
yes, i have, and chronic anxiety disorders too. Was on meds for a while, until they took the one that worked for me off the market (Serzone).

Training, per se, as in doing something physical every day, is not a problem for me, because I've done it my whole life, no matter how crappy I felt. I do have a lot of trouble following a proper training schedule though, and battle discouragement with my corresponding lack of progress.

I do have difficulty motivating myself in other ways (for instance work). Serzone helped a lot, and during the time I took it I managed a lot of changes I never would have made otherwise. Serzone also helped interrupt the anxiety/obsessive thoughts enough for me to get a handle on them.
However, ultimately, I think the meds didn't address the underlying issues for me.

2008-07-05 6:38 PM

User image

Mountain View, CA
Count me in. First depressive episode was in high school--it was also almost my last, but I didn't go through with it. I was undiagnosed at the time, but later when I was diagnosed and in talk therapy the light bulb went on and I realized, "ohhhhh, so THAT'S why life sucked so much!!!" When I was diagnosed, it was as having sort of a low-ish baseline level of depression (manageable) with clinical episodes now and then (for which I usually seek treatment, although never on my own initiative--I'm always reluctant to do so, and it's a friend who urges me to do it).

Ever since I learned how depression presents in me, I've at least been able to identify it when I go into an episode--even if I can't stop it before it gets bad. I've been in therapy a total of three times, but never used medication. For the last couple of years I've been using triathlon training as my antidepressant, and it works pretty well, but not always. Sometimes it actually makes things more difficult, particularly if I have a really long/hard session and I'm just exhausted afterwards. In those cases, even when I'm not in a well defined episode, I'll just go to pieces in the evening and use up half a box of kleenex before I can get it together and go to sleep.

As for being too tired to train... usually when I'm depressed I don't get tired, I just lose all interest in things that ordinarily excite me. So it's not so much that I'm too tired to train, I just don't care. I haven't had any major episodes since I started training seriously--I was sort of of at a moderate level of constant depression until fairly recently, but my training was so inconsistent that it's hard to say whether or not the depression had much of an effect. 

Someone asked about what others can do to help... the absolute worst thing you can do (in my experience) is make the person feel ashamed of it: making the person feel bad for being depressed is the opposite of helpful. I dated a guy who did exactly that, and it was a large factor in our eventual break-up. Depression isn't a matter of HTFU, and being depressed doesn't make you a bad person (or scary, or evil, or disgusting). It's so stigmatized... there's plenty of shame going on on without friends and family making it worse. 

On a more positive note, make sure the person knows that you care about him/her, that you want to help, and so on. If you're not sure about something, it doesn't hurt to ask. If you want to do a certain thing but aren't sure if it would help or hurt, talk to the person about it. Everyone's different, and what sounds helpful to you (or what would help you if you were in that person's situation) might not be what the person needs. Be there if the person wants to talk, to cry, or just to sit quietly in the company of someone else. If you say you'll be there at any hour of the day or night, mean it and follow through with it. But really, communication is the key. 

Edited because the post got a bit too long....

Edited by puellasolis 2008-07-05 6:43 PM
2008-07-06 8:35 PM

User image

Actually it's something I've battled most of my life- I just didn't know it. I'm a nurse and am floored by the ignorance of the medical community. In nursing school I began to realize that I suffered from this disease based on what I was learning in school. I put off getting checked out though because of the stigma attached to mental illness.
I finally decided I had battled this alone for too long and decided to get an expert opinion by someone who would not judge me too harshly. I didn't even tell my husband. The Doc put me on Wellbutrin and I wasn't sure it was helping so I stopped taking it and thought that I could substitute the medication with exercise. Then I didn't even want to get out of bed and everything hurt physically. I went back to the good ol doc and he informed me that the way the med works is very subtle. He said exercise is extremely important, but for people with clinical depression it's only part of the story. I should have realized that this med was actually helping because in hindsight I was having many more good days than bad.
I think that it's important to treat depression as you would any other disease because that's what it is- a disease. It's genetic in orgin, you didn't choose to be depressed.
Keep with the meds even if you feel tired at first. This feeling will pass as your body gets accustomed to it. Use the exercise as an adjuct to your medication.
It's really easy to see the negatives when you have this disease, but will yourself to think of the positives. How many depressed people just screw up their lives and blame it on the mental illness. You're a triathlete... enough said.
2009-04-15 7:28 PM

User image

Regular
Rowan University - Health & Exercise Science Major

Can I join...

I have been battling clinical depression for almost 6 years now, specifically, I diagnosed with major depression and manic depression.  I was diagnosed after my first year of college, but I believe it began a year earlier and this was the culmination, my first big depression bout.  Unfortunately, when I finally saw a doctor I was prescribed a medication in which I have since learned shouldn't have been the doctors first choice and as a result it dropped me even lower, bringing me to my first episode of suicidal thoughts.  For several weeks my thought process was driven to one subject, what if this happened...(you can fill in the rest).  If i was home, I was alone, alienating myself from the rest of my family.  If i was at school, I put on a show.  Due to my bodies reaction from the first medication, I refused to try again, feeling that the best method would be to battle this myself.  Telling myself whats the worst that could happen.

Over the next two years, I would battle bout after bout, getting worse each time.  I would get into my car and drive at speeds in which were not safe and wouldn't bat an eye.  I would take things that were best left in the kitchen and act out certain motions with them.  Not to mention the alcohol, which turned into my friend whenever i needed to take the edge off.  Their were many weekends I chose to stay home and simply drink.

I battled almost every form of manic and major depression, all at the same time.  Little to no sleep, spending sprees, abuse of alcohol, extreme irritability, racing thoughts of suicide, denial to anyone that mattered, hopelessness, worthlessness, didn't eat, lost interest in everything (my car, hobbies, school, friends, etc.), and yes the thoughts of death or suicide.

I tried to put good people around me and they were but the conversation couldn't take place if i didn't start it.  Even if i did start a conversation it would calm me down for the length of time in which the conversation took, but then everything would come back like a ton of bricks only minutes later.  My father and his (whatever) told me that it was all in my head.  Imagine hearing that and then trying to response.  As if I was doing all of this to myself.

My current gf battled with me for almost 3 years, as I asked her to get on me if she felt little warning signs were beginning to show.  Even when i told her to help me, I would throw it in her face and because of this on several occasions we went through battles in which should have never occurred and we even spent time apart three different occasions.

As others have mentioned, the medication thing is tough.  At this point I don't ever think i will come off of my medication as I am to scared to see what could happen, but I have to make sure I don't miss a day of it.  My with drawl from the medication can begin to be felt the next morning if I don't take the night before as I usually do.  Of course I take 100mg so its no joke.

It's very difficult to battle on your own, but thankfully now im not battling it own my own.

For the past year I have been seeing a psychologist at my college.  I became comfortable enough to try the medication route once again.  But before doing so we had some in depth conversations.  She determined that if normal peoples mood is at this line, and the average depression is on this line, I would operate well below that on a daily basis and if battling then I would slide even lower.  Her goal was to see if medication could help to bring my daily mood up to a normal level.

I am proud to say that a year later, I am much improved but clearly not where I was, although it's difficult at this point to determine where I was at this point.  I am happy with most things now, although even at this very moment I am battling several different things that are affecting me and as a result my tri training has suffered, so much so that i'm not even training.  The upside to this at the moment is that my stresses are due to college, and the fact that i am 3 weeks away from graduating.  The stresses from this are the work load through student teaching, the stress of graduating, the lack of money, and the difficulties that Im going to face when i begin searching for a career.  Hopefully, some of these stresses will come to an end in a few short weeks, I will be able to start my tri training once again! Thankfully as another stress is the 10 pounds i've put on from not training...

O and the brightest note of all of this is that the gf is still around, we've had a fantastic year together, so much so that marriage is definitely in the foreseeable future.  Brings a smile to my face haha!

Feels good to let others know about this and to read of other individuals battle with depression.

Edited by roadrunner1659 2009-04-15 7:39 PM

2009-04-15 8:01 PM
in reply to: #1509419

User image

Expert
Decatur
SmBkRn450 - 2008-07-05 3:10 PM Everyone on my Dad's side of my family gets really bad depression. From the Grandma to the cousins. I get depression really bad, one wrong trigger and I'm out for anywhere from a couple of days to a couple of months. Personally, training is the only thing that helps mine, which is why I do Triathlons.

I remember laying in my house with trash surrounding me in college not moving from the couch in 4 days. It was so bad my mother wanted to fly in.

I started working out. end of depression.

I refuse meds and manage soley through excersie and stress reduction. started tri's and I literally changed overnight due to all the endorphins (literally took about 2.5 weeks then weeeeeeeeeeee!!!!)

I'm fine now. and I ask for help a lot. a LOT.
2009-04-15 8:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alexandria, VA
Wow, this is a great thread. Some very strong sharing going on here, I really appreciate everybody that has opened there hearts here.

I also overcome significant chemical imbalances on a regular basis. I have been overcoming them since I was a kid, and will probably overcome them for a long time to come. Like many in this thread, exercise is my Prozac. I personally come from the John Nash school of therapy, where in I know myself best, and there fore, am most capable of controlling my thoughts and understanding my chemistry. I feel I can typically reason my way through most downers, although sometimes a little help from friends and family is appreciated.

In the past month, since my training began, I have realized the significant benefits of exercise in regulating body chemistry. I can't say Im cured, that would be naive. But I definitely am thinking clearer than normal, if only as a result of the meditative state exercise can put me in.

That being said, I am not totally against pharmaceuticals. Many in my family are on Meds, and they work fine for them. I just have a personal distaste for modern medicine, mostly irrational. In the past, I did take St. Johns Wort for depression, and it worked well. I took it in response to significant life events, which really required me to have a clear mind to work through. Exercise also helped at that point as well.

I have been working nightshift for 3+ years now, as well. Which is not good for depression or seasonal affective disorder. In the past, I have dealt with this facet of my mind by tanning regurlarly. Now that I exercise and am out in the sun more often. Tanning is not necessary and I feel better no matter the weather.

Moral of the story: Exercise is a great antidepressant. So is sunlight.
2009-04-16 9:12 AM

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
I have depression, anxiety, panic disorder, and OCD. For a long time (as in all my life), I tried to manage "on my own". Which worked fine until I had a complete and total breakdown. Something about hiding under the dining room table, unable to eat, sleep, or even leave the house, and begging to die makes you think maybe your current "treatment" methods aren't working so well. :p

I now manage it with a combination of therapy and meds. I didn't WANT to take the meds...but I realize now, I should have done them sooner. They are a godsend. They are NOT however for everyone and everything, nor should t hey be the first line of defense.
2009-04-16 9:23 AM
in reply to: #2088487

User image

Expert
Chicagoland

I really admire everyone for opening up and the courage you have for tackling this illness.  I have been depressed (or in the hole as I like to say) since I was 12.   30 years and many meds later, I am still here.   Have I gotten better?   Not sure, I now realize what is going on and why but I still feel depressed.   I focus way too much on the past and what could have been (career, relationships, etc..) but I trudge along hoping for the best.   I don't have that special friend to confide in and I don't want to burden my already overwhelmed wife so I keep it inside.  Not the best way to handle it.  I see a therapist (one of many) and I hope this time I turn the corner.  But anyway, I really hope everyone gets better!

2009-04-16 12:12 PM

Spider - 2008-04-04 8:59 AM Hi, I was inspired to ask the question after reading rthomas post. Does anyone here suffer from clinical depression? Does medication work for you? Do you feel too tired to train sometimes? How do you motivate yourself to keep going? I would like to hear from you. Thank you Anna

For what it's worth, I have had bouts crippling depression since puberty, sometimes lasting days and sometimes months. Unfortunately, trying to be a tough guy I pushed forward until I was in my late 30's. I had then reached a point where I could not get out of bed. A girlfriend forced me to go see a doctor.

Medications worked for me, but gradually over time the amount of SRI's I was taking kept going up. Therapy was recommended, but dealing with my insurance company was an absolute joke. Out of over 20 doctors that were recommended to me by my insurance company only 1 returned my call, and he wanted me to confirm my insurance would cover my sessions before he would see me. Needless to say, I was disheartened.

Finally last year things came to a head. I was drinking way too much and one night I drove drunk for the last time. My ex booted me out of the house when she caught me having warned several times before. I was 40, an alcoholic with an irregular heartbeat, barely holding onto my job after constantly showing up to work hungover and smelling like booze form the night before, and my life was, I felt, garbage and it was time for change.

I quit drinking. I had been drinking enough that I went through DT's. I broke out the ol' bike and started riding like Forrest started running. I refused to stop until I was exhausted. I quit smoking. I rented out my condo and moved into a cabin in the country. My arrhythmia went away. I quit my meds. After a while I started feeling better. At this point in time, I feel fantastic and while I still have my downer moments, they are not nearly as bad as they were before. I have not touched booze in 8 months I think it's been. I am running, cycling, and swimming. I have dropped over 25 pounds. I look much better. While I was never able to repair my relationship with my ex, we remain good friends and she has been very supportive.

I would not recommend doing any of the above without talking to your doctor, but that was my story.

Edited by Think for myself 2009-04-16 12:16 PM

2009-04-17 10:16 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-04-17 10:22 AM
in reply to: #2091438

Pro
Twin Cities
Oh, I have gotten many a laugh at my OCD. Not AT me, mind you...but WITH me. That was one of the things that therapy and meds helped with. By being able to talk about it, and by being able to understand what was wrong and taking charge of helping myself...I definitely am able to see the humor in some of the situations.

My personal favorite example (although it actually signaled the beginning of my breakdown): Driving home one night in a TOTAL panic, while wearing my bike helmet and every layer of clothing I had with me b/c I was CONVINCED a tornado would come and send a tree through my windshield and kill me.

At that moment, there was NOTHING funny about it--I was in a real, honest to god, deep hysteria. BUt I can certainly see the numor in it now :p
2009-04-17 10:24 AM

Master
Southern Ontario
Spider - 2008-04-04 10:59 AM Hi, I was inspired to ask the question after reading rthomas post. Does anyone here suffer from clinical depression? Does medication work for you? Do you feel too tired to train sometimes? How do you motivate yourself to keep going? I would like to hear from you. Thank you Anna

I was diagnosed with clinical depression last summer.  I am currently on medication and it works very well for me.  It wasn't the first one that was prescribed.  That one made it impossible to sleep and made me edgy and paranoid. 

I've had a couple episodes over the past 7 months - Christmas was hard and so was March Break. 

I believe that CBT has a lot to do with my success and my understanding of my situation.

I can always swim.  Swimming is what made a difference for me last year.  (I would have panic attacks and feel as though I couldn't breathe - but swimming controls my breathing and allowed me to relax.)  If I do nothing else I would drag myself to the pool.  (At least it was better than staring at paint on the walls.)  I'm doing really well now and I'm considering going off my meds - but my GP says 6 months after my last episode (which was middle of March) so I guess a little longer....

Good luck and try to keep focused on your goals.
2009-04-17 10:34 AM
in reply to: #2091438

New user

Central MO
bachorb - 2009-04-17 10:16 AM l
I think anxiety and depression affect a lot more people than most of us realize, especially in the tri community. I think any community that involves a lot of highly-motivated and overachieving people you are going to find a high prevalence of mental disorders. We always have some sort of demon we are chasing (or that is chasing us!).  Talking about this stuff is important because it always helps to know that you are far from the only one. It's easy to look at other people and say "look how happy they are and look how miserable and screwed-up I am!" when in reality they could be thinking the same thing about you  

You couldnt be more correct..

kris
2009-04-17 12:47 PM

Extreme Veteran
Anaheim

I am also clinically depressed. The irony is that sometimes it seems the better  I have it the worse I feel. As far as training goes, it affects my training and other areas of life, because it saps motivation, pleasure and meaning from fun activites. A therapist told me that action is the opposite of depression. I use that to get going sometimes.

I take comfort that I do not seem to be alone here, but at the same time I do not wish depression on anyone.

I have used meds with mixed results. I have found name brand to be vastly superior to generic.

-Chris

2009-05-12 7:57 PM

Veteran
New York, New York
I have very very very bad clinical depression with a history of su attempts - which I have not done for YEARS by the way.

Anyway, I just wanted to pipe in that yes I find a big difference in brand name and generic.  The generics use different 'fillers.'  I can only take brand name.  My "poor" *cough* insurance company.

Yours truly,

dbw27
2009-05-13 12:12 AM
in reply to: #2147136

Urbana, IL
I'm in the same boat as you dbw. The only thing is that the pills the shrink gave me had an adverse affect on my [ahem] manhood capabilities. So I quit taking them and basically turned to drinking and weed to self medicate. Then I found tris. I quit drinking, quit smoking--it was like one of those "I found Jesus" moments.

I never believed in the power of self restraint and whatnot, but it actually works. If I know I have to get up and run or bike or swin (depending on the day), it keeps me from drinking and dropping down that hole again. And even though I recently lost my job, the fact that I'm training for something helps to keep away that feeling that I'm not moving forward and just "spinning my tires"

Matt
2009-05-13 7:34 AM
in reply to: #2147136

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
dbw27 - 2009-05-12 8:57 PM
Anyway, I just wanted to pipe in that yes I find a big difference in brand name and generic.  The generics use different 'fillers.'  I can only take brand name.  My "poor" *cough* insurance company.

The main difference between generics and brand names in most drugs is that the FDA guidelines allows a range of "active drug" in the manufacture.  So a generic drug may have as much as 10% less active agent compared to the brand name. I used to see this in prescribing brand name Ritalin and generic. In theory, at least, the "fillers" are not biologically active and should not affect the efficacy of a drug.
2009-05-13 9:55 AM

Elite
Puyallup, WA
Interesting thread...I haven't read it all - but it is interesting to hear others who are in the "same boat"...I too have struggled with chemical imbalance for years.  It goes up and down!  Unfortunately for me medication is the only thing that keeps me moving...I just joined/starting "tri"ing and KNOW that exercise helps...but still struggle with convincing myself to do stuff!  Others have pointed out that its an "actual medical problem" not just one in my head...(kind of ironic)  but it's always hard to know when I need to push and when I need to let myself relax.

I haven't found any difference in generic vs prescription - except for not having to pay and arm and a leg.  However, I have been on quite a few medications!  Some didn't work...a few worked for a while...?!!?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone battling clinical depression??? Rss Feed  

of 4