General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone battling clinical depression??? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2008-04-06 10:14 AM
in reply to: #1315653

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Anyone battling clinical depression???
Me too - am having a hard time summarizing my history so for now I'll leave it at that.

Would love to see a section of BT dedicated to emotional issues.

2008-04-06 10:33 AM
in reply to: #1315702

User image

Master
Saskatchewan
marina - 2008-04-04 11:22 AM

Exercise is my main antidepressant too. Triathlon training is so goal motivated that it forces me to look ahead and look forward to racing as well as enjoy the daily workout to keep me in the moment. It also adds to structure and getting in a routine where staying in bed all day isn't an option.

Some days it is hard to get out there, but I know that once I've come back from a run that I'll feel better. I have to keep telling myself that on some days. There are the days where I am tired and lethargic so I take that day off without feeling guilty or beating myself up. Everyone needs an off day every now and again.

Otherwise, I'm on medication and doing what I need to do to stay well. It takes lots of work and support to keep on going but it's worth it to stay out of that deep dark hole.

Wow! I'm very impressed and appreciative for everyone's candidness. There still is a very real stigma related to mental illness and this thread clearly shows that we, along with our support systems, are beating down those stereotypes (especially with a certain rock starlet's psych ward stays in the news) . Nobody here said that they had a mental breakdown...thank goodness!

Staying in the moment. The Serenity Prayer really says it all in learning what I can and cannot control. As well, through all the psychotherapy and seeking my own higher power or groundedness or faith or whatever you want to call it, I've been attracted to Buddhism. Basically, my suffering is caused by my perception and I can choose how I want to view the world. Of course, getting down to those unrealistic core beliefs that we all adopted somewhere along the course of our lives is like facing a bunch of demons. But, acknowledging them and changing them, becoming more self-affirming and self-confident makes living day to day so much easier.

I can honestly say that I am grateful to having to live with the depression/bipolar. Ever since I was first diagnosed and treated, I have learnt so much about myself and have grown in ways that I never knew were possible.

I try to be open about taking medication and therapy with as many people as I can. It's a fact of life, not a weakness, but a strength.

Than you all for your encouraging words!

2008-04-06 12:37 PM
in reply to: #1318691

User image

Master
Suwanee, Ga.

MuscleMomma - 2008-04-06 11:14 AM Me too - am having a hard time summarizing my history so for now I'll leave it at that. .

Me too.

2008-04-06 3:40 PM

User image

Champion
Wisconsin

I don't think of myself as battling it any more, now I manage it. Most of the time.  I have had a series of diagnoses, from ADHD, Bipolar II, Severe Anxiety, Depression...  What has always kept me above water and making progress during the low times has been a wonderful therapist. I have had 3 major ones in my life, and 2 have been extremely good. The meds are essential, and my single biggest mistake ever was deciding to take myslef off. That was a very very bad week.  Never do that.

Exercise as so many have said is key. 

And of course, the love and compassion of my family and SO, even when they were frustrated and didn't understand  what was happening, they always tried.  They did a lot of reading, and a lot of checking in with me when I seemed "off." The on;y thing I still need an ocasional reminder about from my SO is to eat more often, esp protein.  On teh weekedns, when we are not really follwoing a schedule, I sometimes forget to eat, and she notices way before I do that I am getting crabby or spacy. Crabby and spacy and disorganized (more than usual anyway, lol) are signs she sees way beofre I do.

My faith has been important, and my relationship with my pastor has proven invaluable. I have never been hospilaized, or in real serious trouble, but she has been right there at every turn, and was really important in helping me make the decision to try and get pregnant even knowing that I would have to go off some meds for awhile, and knowing what a high risk I am for serious post partum ugliness, the genetic nature of mood disorders etc. 

Good sleep habits are essential for me, when I start to feel exhausted all the time and  all I want to do is sleep all afternoon, I know I need to get more exercsie and resist those naps at all cost, or it will get very bad very fast.

I think a perfect spot for this thread is in the injury/health section, there are a lot of us, and this IS a health issue.  Would be nice to check in with each other from time to time. 

2008-04-06 4:16 PM
in reply to: #1319063

User image

Expert
Spring (Houston), TX
possum - 2008-04-06 3:40 PM

, I sometimes forget to eat, and she notices way before I do that I am getting crabby or spacy. Crabby and spacy and disorganized (more than usual anyway, lol) are signs she sees way beofre I do.

Possum,

Have you ever been tested for hypoglycemia? This sounds like it could be blood sugar related. When I was younger, I had exactly the same signs. They did a 6 hr glucose tolerance test, and it showed up in hr 4 when my blood sugar plummeted. If you don't want to mess with the test, it sounds like you've already figured out the  diet - high protien, small meals, no sugar. There's no other treatment, so maybe just carry on.

2008-04-06 4:32 PM
in reply to: #1318705

User image

Expert
Hatboro, PA
marina - 2008-04-06 10:33 AM

"Wow! I'm very impressed and appreciative for everyone's candidness. There still is a very real stigma related to mental illness and this thread clearly shows that we, along with our support systems, are beating down those stereotypes (especially with a certain rock starlet's psych ward stays in the news) . Nobody here said that they had a mental breakdown...thank goodness!

I can honestly say that I am grateful to having to live with the depression/bipolar. Ever since I was first diagnosed and treated, I have learnt so much about myself and have grown in ways that I never knew were possible.

I try to be open about taking medication and therapy with as many people as I can. It's a fact of life, not a weakness, but a strength.

Than you all for your encouraging words!"

I am also impressed that so many people have come forward to tell their experiences. It took me a while to finally admit to others (and myself) that I have a problem. Now, I look at it as if someone wants to treat me differently because I have an illness, then that is their problem and I don't need to be friends with them. If I had cancer, I wouldn't feel the need to hide it, so why should I hide my mental illness. But, like I said, it took me a while to feel comfortable admitting it.

Edited by phillybarb 2008-04-06 4:33 PM

2008-04-06 4:50 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

I've been reading these posts the last couple of days and am just dumfounded. 

In the movie "Cast Away", Tom Hanks is stuck on his island and all seemed hopelss.  Then one day the tide washed up a piece of plastic and he made a sail out of it.

So all I can say is, hang in there. You never know what the next tide will wash up.

I will mention of you all in my prayers. 

~Mike

2008-04-06 4:51 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua

I'll raise my hand too. 

I was raised in a alcoholic family.  Both mom and dad.  I think it killed them both in one way or the other.  My first marriage was to a whack job.  She has had it all including electro shock therapy.  I won't trade my son for anything but his handicap can be a bit much some days.  Last year the death of my BIL and life long friend put me over the edge.  Some how I operated at work fine.  It was a good support network.  I started climbing the walls at home and sitting crying in the corner.  I started on therapy with a great person who made herself available 24/7. She kept me training felling it was one of the things helping me.  She did have a hard time trying to understand why riding 57 miles was recreation.  We added medicine quickly to calm me and a antidepressant.  Things are going well now.  We are continuing the meds until the summer.  My BT friends helped me a lot.  They were there when I needed.  Thanks S, M, J, J, R, K, K, R, and the rest of you who helped out and stopped by with inspires. 

Talk to a consoler you have good feeling with.  Make sure you touch base with your primary doctor.   Keep training it does help.  Summers coming a little sunshine helps too.    

2008-04-06 5:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cedar Park, Texas

I think it would be awesome if we had a thread/section to keep in touch with each other and keep motivated with our training and our daily lives.  So many of us have already said that our training and exercise has been key to our coping and even overcoming depression.  I've also seen several comments about how wonderful it is to share what we're experiencing with people who understand. With y'all's permission, I'd be happy to email the moderators and see if we can get something going...I'll even volunteer to get us organized, if organization is needed.

My counselor is a triathlete, too, so maybe I could ask her to get involved and help us out from time to time? Just an idea....

What do you think?

Edited by katzchen55 2008-04-06 5:04 PM
2008-04-06 5:04 PM
in reply to: #1319202

User image

Pro
Irvine, California
katzchen55 - 2008-04-06 3:03 PM

I think it would be awesome if we had a thread/section to keep in touch with each other and keep motivated with our training and our daily lives.  So many of us have already said that our training and exercise has been key to our coping and even overcoming depression.  I've also seen several comments about how wonderful it is to share what we're experiencing with people who understand. With y'all's permission, I'd be happy to email the moderators and see if we can get something going...I'll even volunteer to get us organized, if organization is needed.

My counselor is a triathlete, too, so maybe I could ask her to get involved and help us out from time to time? Just an idea....

What do you think?

I think it's a marvelous idea.

2008-04-06 5:13 PM
in reply to: #1319202

User image

Melon Presser
katzchen55 - 2008-04-06 3:03 PM

I think it would be awesome if we had a thread/section to keep in touch with each other and keep motivated with our training and our daily lives. So many of us have already said that our training and exercise has been key to our coping and even overcoming depression. I've also seen several comments about how wonderful it is to share what we're experiencing with people who understand. With y'all's permission, I'd be happy to email the moderators and see if we can get something going...I'll even volunteer to get us organized, if organization is needed.

What do you think?

Bless you. Please. 

2008-04-06 5:39 PM

User image

Champion
Wisconsin
Cool, I'd be happy to start the thread, and then we can all kinda "monitor" ourselves. I think if we keep it kinda low key it would be better, more low profile, safer, etc. There are a LOT of confidentiality issues, a lot of people whose careers could be ruined by public admission/discussion etc. Maybe we can just move this thread to the Health section? 
I'll pm Mike.
2008-04-06 5:39 PM

User image

Expert
Delano, MN
I also think this would be a great idea.
2008-04-06 5:40 PM

User image

Champion
Wisconsin

Oh wait, someone esle volunteered to do this, sorry!

I say go for it!  But the less hoopla autside of this thread thr better, the people who need this thread will find it. 

2008-04-06 6:12 PM

User image

Expert
Spring (Houston), TX

I like the idea as well. If you search the forums, there have been several threads on this topic, but no one has suggested a group.

Also, if you google "triathlete depression" you'll find a couple of articles here on BT that others have written about depression. I'd attach links but for some reason I can't cut and paste the URLs right now.

2008-04-06 6:36 PM
in reply to: #1316882

Extreme Veteran
Austin Texas
I am also diagnosed Bipolar Type II, I am Anthony's wife. He exercises allot and I know that doing so would help my mood instability.

I just don't seem able to start. I live in Texas and it is hot, unlike my husband, the heat really bothers me.

I have also been eating for comfort. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get started on exercising?

To the people who spoke about a good therapist, do you know the name of anyone in Austin Texas?

Thanks

Anthony's wife

2008-04-06 6:40 PM
in reply to: #1319214

Extreme Veteran
Austin Texas
This is Anthony's wife and a group would be great. Any developments?

Mary
2008-04-06 6:41 PM
in reply to: #1318425

User image

Veteran
The ATL
mman - 2008-04-05 10:56 PM

First, I'll admit that I've not read every post. Today, I can't because it's not a good day. I suffer from depression. You can look at some of my other posts and know that my wife (39 yrs old) is terminally ill. I'm facing raising 3 kids alone. I struggled with depression before but this wrinkle has made it much more difficult. I'm on meds (cymbalta and wellbutrin) and am fairly well managed. This sport has helped a ton too because of training and racing.

My docs keep me on meds, even though I'm feeling well right now, because things will get worse before better. Today, it looks like I'll lose her in 8 months or so.

Yes, I feel too tired to train, but always feel better when I do. Races are good for me because they are about me - not drs appts, CT scans, etc. For once, I hear my name when I cross the finish line. Although, I've had people yell out, "Go Stephanie's husband". Our story is pretty public - especially in the Houston area.

How do I motivate myself? I think a scene in the movie Cast Away summed it up best. When Tom Hanks is rescued only to find out that his fiance has married someone else, he's telling a friend about his experience on the island. He says, "you've just got to keep breathing." Many days, thats what I say. I've got too much to live for to stop breathing. So whether it's a hard day of training or just deciding to eat today, you've just got to keep breathing.

Every moment of life is about that. Bad training? Keep breathing. Job got you down? Keep breathing. Don't want to get out of bed, on the bike, etc.? Keep breathing. Keep moving. Keep going forward. No matter how slow, forward is not backward, and eventually you will reach your destination.

Live with intention,

GregĀ 

Greg,
I'm ready to break down reading this. My nephew lost his battle with melanoma at age 17 a year and a half ago. Just horrible, there are no words. My thoughts are with you all.

Regarding depression, yes, me too. Zoloft for about 13 years now. No particular reason for the onset aside from bad genes. After reading about Greg's situation I can't really go into it right now.

I'd love to find a way to eliminate the stigma of "mental illness."
2008-04-06 6:45 PM
in reply to: #1319381

User image

Champion
Wisconsin

anth0424 - 2008-04-06 6:36 PM I am also diagnosed Bipolar Type II, I am Anthony's wife. He exercises allot and I know that doing so would help my mood instability. I just don't seem able to start. I live in Texas and it is hot, unlike my husband, the heat really bothers me. I have also been eating for comfort. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get started on exercising? To the people who spoke about a good therapist, do you know the name of anyone in Austin Texas? Thanks Anthony's wife

First step: GET YOUR OWN USER NAME!  Seriously. We welcome you, and this is a place for ALL levels. We can help support you, and believe me there are plenty of people on here who are starting/have started from square 1.

Second step: After you get a user name, take a 20 minute minute walk.  Just one. Just 20 minutes.

Third Step: Ask Anthony to show you how to log it.

Fourth Step: Report back here under your new user name, and then sit back and wait for the love! 

2008-04-06 7:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Rainy WA

I'm so glad you folks started this thread and shared all the candid comments.

I'm on my third go-around trying to do a sprint triathlon. It is a challenge--being a middle-aged, overweight nonathlete. But the biggest struggle is the mental one. I have anxiety and panic attacks, and the bike seems to feed on them!

Exercise is great for the anxiety, also good nutrition. Cognitive behavior therapy has been very helpful. But I have yet to even make it to the starting line of a real race. Is anyone else dealing with this?

I've read that anxiety and depression can be related, not sure exactly how. I'm not trying to inject a new issue in the thread--just add a collateral one.Laughing I hope that's ok.

Now I'm wondering if I oughta change my screen name.Surprised Someone mentioned the stigma of this stuff. Just to explain, it's from a poem by Emily Dickinson--I quote a bit in my signature. I chose her especially because she battled anxiety and social phobia in her adult life. Made for some great poems, but it didnt get her to the starting iine either!

Well, thanks again for the thread. It's good to meet fellow fighters and I look forward to getting to know you. I had no idea my toughest triathlon problem would be addressed in the forum! Thanks!

The best from my heart to each of you.

Mary

2008-04-06 7:37 PM
in reply to: #1319259

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

possum - 2008-04-06 6:39 PM Cool, I'd be happy to start the thread, and then we can all kinda "monitor" ourselves. I think if we keep it kinda low key it would be better, more low profile, safer, etc. There are a LOT of confidentiality issues, a lot of people whose careers could be ruined by public admission/discussion etc. Maybe we can just move this thread to the Health section?
I'll pm Mike.

I got Possum's PM. Go. Do it.  Let me know what BT can do.

2008-04-06 7:43 PM

User image

Pro
Without house

I agree that having a 'check in' thread in health/injury would be good...and I'm sure the mods would have no problem moving this thread.

I have to say that the best thing I did during my last major bout was FINALLY getting the gumption to tell people and get a referral for a therapist.  I'm seeing a Christian counselor in a group recommended by my priest.  For this I am very thankful...I've been in a church previously that refused to acknowledge the reality of mental illnesses...I distinctly recall the priest standing at the pulpit saying there was no such thing, that it all had to do with sin.  The church I'm currently a member of really believes in healing and that mental illnesses are real.

At my worst, I would think daily of driving my car into the median while driving to and from work.  And I mean daily.  For weeks.  I couldn't do it because I at least had enough wits about me to be worried about delaying other people.  It's a scary place to be, and I never want to be back there again.

2008-04-06 7:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tampa, FL

I think it's amazing that so many people are able to share their thoughts and experiences regarding this sometimes "sensitive" subject. It really takes a lot to put it all out there for everyone to see, and I think it says quite a bit about the quality of the environment that the BT boards have developed into, that people are able to share these details about their personal lives without concern that they will be judged.

I have also suffered from depression and severe anxiety for 15+ years. I went through myriad drugs, and while some seemed to help with some symptoms, the side-effects for me outweighed the benefits. I think attacking the disease will differ a little from person to person, however a common theme seems to be some sort of combination of medication, excercise, therapy, and personal relationships.

I've recently started therapy and feel pretty confident that the counselor I'm seeing will be able to help me work through some of my issues over time.

The triathlon training has been a big help in the meantime. Establishing goals, working towards them, the therapeutic elements of a long ride or run.

Thanks to all for sharing your stories. I'll have some inspires coming your way

Edited by Tri3 2008-04-06 7:48 PM
2008-04-06 8:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sioux Falls, SD

I just saw this thread!! And it is amazing!!! I too struggle with depression and trying to find the right medication has been hard...but we are still trying to figure that out.

Training can be hard, but I too as many others have said that you have to kinda push yourself out the door and remind yourself that you will be so much happier when you get back... but then you have days where you just can't cause you are so tired...

Anyway I was just so happy that you guys are going to start a thread...starting to understand depression more and I think it will help to know others who have gone through this or are going through this as I don't talk a lot about this issue..and it would be nice to get that help and support!

2008-04-06 8:12 PM

User image

Champion
Wisconsin

I just moved this/started a new one here:

Depression and Moods-Check in! 

Way to look out for each other, BTers... 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone battling clinical depression??? Rss Feed  

of 4