Running Fit
40F / 4C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 37m 14s
Overall Rank = 192/295
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 19/23
Pre-race routine:

Grabbed some coffee and food at home. Gassed up the 'burban. Drove an hour to the event. Met up with my pals Rick, Trix, and triOK. I also met sushigirl's husband Tom. (sweet hat) Oh yeah, and rngr#@$!%#, his dad, and his buddy.
Event warmup:

Jogged around the campus, stretched, figured out what I was going to wear, asked dumb questions, etc. Made our way over to the start and let a good chunk of the crowd pass before we jumped in.
Run
  • 4h 37m 14s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, this was certainly a learning experience. I had a lot of reasons to train for this. First and foremost, I needed to learn to love running. I hated it last summer, and I knew that doing a marathon would force me to run enough to either quit it forever or learn to love it. Well, I'm (editted) NOT quitting forever if that tells you anything.

Second, I wanted to build a big running base. I was so limited in my running last summer because I had hardly any base.

Third, I guess this is about where the event ranked. Don't get me wrong, I really wanted to do it. It was my first stand alone road race, ever! Getting to the line was the most important part though.

So, on to the actual running. We started off between 8.5 and 9 minute miles. Trix and Rick were just in front of Robyn and I. Lots of "whoops whoops", slim shady lyrics, and other shenanigans. This crew won't leave you bored, that's for sure.

At some point, Robyn and I decided to tone it down to no faster than 9 minute miles. We cruised along at this pace for a while. Finally we settled in at about 9.25-9.5 until she had to split off. Oh, except for one long pee break for me. It was great to have her along side. We always pace pretty well together. So, thank you, part one, to Robyn.

The half mary folks, took most of the pack with them, and I quickly found myself pretty lonely out there. The course was pretty flat and boring for a long, long ways from there. I took Ultima at the first aid station. YUCK! The second I grabbed a single water and a GU. I was GUing religiously every 45 minutes. I tried the Ultima one more time, but that stuff is flat out nasty! From there on, I was grabbing two waters per station and GUing as planned. I was down to about 10 minute miles until the turnaround. I ran pretty much the whole way to the turn. Stopping once to quickly stretch some slight cramps.

After the turn around, I sat for a second and stretched my right hammy. This would continue to hurt, along with my right glute for the rest of the race. It was pretty lonely through there. I got passed, passed some folks myself, and played leap frog with several folks. I chatted it up with lots of people and enjoyed the time. My spirits were still pretty high until just after mile 19.

Mile 19, the wreck. So, we had bunched up a bit to go under and over pass. Coming the opposite direction were three cyclists. One man and two women. The man is coming directly towards the runners and veering into our lane! I pointed to move to the other side along with a couple other runners. He jerked left and cut into one of the other cyclists. He never really gained control back and hit HARD. I'm pretty sure he was knocked out. I stopped and one of the spectators had 911 on the horn immediately. Some runners tried to help him up, but some of us yelled to stay down, and not try to move him. I stood there a minute or two, and decided there was plenty of help around and kept moving. The ambulance got there quickly and later took him out of there. I hope he recovers.

The plan was to meet trix at about mile 20. I passed 20 right at 3:20, perfect 10 minute pace. It broke down quickly from there. I think I finally found her at about 21, can't remember. Robyn was there too, on her shiny bike. I didn't realize it, but I saw Robyn a couple times before I finally joined up with her and trix. Wow, what a relief to have some pals around to help bring this dude home.

I was starting to really cramp, bad. The walk breaks became pretty frequent and I found myself off of 4:30 pace in just a mile or so. The girls gave me lots of encouragement, but I think I also recognized it wasn't going to happen. The 4:30 time was just a goal, not a mission. I was okay with letting it go.

With all the cramping, trix asked me if I was drinking the Ultima.

Nope, that stuff is gross I tell her.

Uh ... where are you getting your electrolytes?

From the GU, I reply.

Uh ... there aren't electrolytes in GU dude.

Oops. My bad. I guess that helps explain the excessive cramping. Now that I think about, I'm pretty sure she's told me that before.

With about three miles left, we see Mr. Krueser. What a guy. Thanks for hanging around for me dude. Now I'm rolling with a full posse'.

The rest is a little bit of a blur. I know I walked several times. I also remember feeling the pull of the finish with about 1.2 to go. I walked one little spot, but ran the rest. Coming into the finish, I saw my kids, step mom, dad, then wife. All in that order. What a relief to see them. I remember feeling a rush of overwhelming emotion with about ten yards to go, but I choked it down. No tears at the finish line.

The clock said 4:39. I think we started about 4 minutes into that clock, so unofficially, I think I did a 4:35. I forgot to stop my watch when I crossed, so I'll have to check the official results later.

I've said a whole bunch of times, but I have to say it again. Many thanks to my pals Trix, Robyn, and Rick. Not only for running the first miles with me, or even coming back out to help me bring it home. But also thanks for meeting me out at Kensington on all those cold winter mornings. You guys absolutely ROCK and I can't really imagine doing this all by myself. Thank You.
What would you do differently?:

Drink the sports puke, and try to stave off the cramps. I've done 20 and 22 mile training runs without notable cramps. I shouldn't have cramped like that today.

Otherwise, my training was adequete to finish. I was dressed right, and otherwise prepared on all aspects.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk about twenty yards and sit. Chug water, eat some pizza after I caught my breath. Chat with friends and family.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cramps baby, lots of cramps.

Event comments:

They could use more aid stations. They were every other mile. Also, the drink choice was rancid.

Added Monday Morning: I just had to read through and edit the report. Lots of typos and mistakes. Especially the part about giving up running forever. Ha!

Last updated: 2008-01-25 12:00 AM
Running
04:37:14 | 26.2 miles | 10m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/23
Overall: 0/295
Performance: Good
I'll download this stuff later.
Course: Pretty flat. I think there was a little under 600ft of climbing over the whole course. This is way flatter than what I typically run. This had me pretty confident going in. We did a single loop around a parking lot, then an out and back, with another little loop at the end.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-04-06 8:02 PM

User image

Master
Fenton, MI
Subject: Martian Marathon

2008-04-06 8:11 PM
in reply to: #1319557

User image

Champion
Michigan
Subject: RE: Martian Marathon
You did awesome Matt. So happy to be there with you.
2008-04-06 8:21 PM

User image

Expert
Stafford, Ks
Your first road race s a 26.2 mile run! You have got to be a maniac!!! I guess I should have known that since you run with the GODDESS (Trixie). Congratulation and way to push through the pain!
2008-04-06 8:55 PM

User image

Expert
Berkley, MI

WAY TO GO MATT!!!!!! 

I am so proud of you!  You did awesome today!   

Look at how far you have come in 1 year.  Now that in itself is amazing.  You pushed and you succeeded in an outstanding time no less!   4:35 (or whatever the final time will end up being ) is outstanding work.

You earned each and every one of those 26.2 miles today.     

2008-04-06 11:20 PM

User image

Expert
Michiana
Great job!  You don't have to run marathons to enjoy running!  However, as painful as that was, I bet you're glad you did it.  Congratulations on your first 26.2!
2008-04-07 6:46 AM

User image

Master
Fenton, MI

LOL, i just pulled the report up to proof read it.  I didn't do that last night.  One MAJOR edit, I am not quitting forever.  I made a little mistake there ....

Thanks for the support all. 

2008-04-07 7:21 AM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

I'll quit forever for you.   And yeah, the Ultima was nasty. But I swilled it...

Congrats on a huge effort, and persevering. Outstanding stuff. And good times.

2008-04-07 9:25 AM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
Great job!!! I wish I could have stayed to cheer in the marathoners. Ive heard its a fairly lonely marathon course once the half splits off.. which you and a teammate of mine confirmed Hopefully you will like running a little bit more, once you get over the soreness of the mary
2008-04-07 10:51 AM

User image

Folsom, CA (Sacramento Area)
Excellent job Matt !!!
2008-04-07 2:49 PM
in reply to: #1320633

Royal Oak, MI
Aweseome write up and great job.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!