Playtri Festival
51F / 11C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 58m 45s
Overall Rank = 94/139
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 19/24
Pre-race routine:

Chris and I decided to stay at the host hotel in order to be witness to the whole weekend of activities. Sure, we could have done the same from our house (15 miles away), but what fun is that? So...I just happen to have flown in from Kona, HI Friday morning and Chris picked me up. I got home, gathered all of the items (I thought) that I needed for the weekend and loaded up my bike and off we go. Got checked in...went to packet pick up and expo and got myself a shiny GIRO helmet. I had a friend flying in that evening, so I dropped Chris off at the hotel and I said I'd meet up with him in the morning. Got up early (4:30'ish) and showered and headed from my house back to the hotel. Chris and I decided last minute to volunteer for the Du and Sprint going on. When we were told (strongly urged) to help out on the bike course...I had the groovy idea to wear our Giro aero helmets while out on the course directing the cyclists. What fun we had! Scott, the bike course director drove up and saw me and said I was nuts. I told him we were trying to get into the spirit. After our services were no longer needed...we headed back to our hotel room at the Marriott and prepared for the OWS practice. got all suited up and headed down...Chris backflipped (his traditional water entry) and I "slithered in"...We headed out to the 4th bouy (just shy of the first bridge) and back. I felt great and knew that I was going to do well (at least in the swim). We went to the pasta dinner at the IBC and came away with a HUGE supply of pasta, lettuce and dinner rolls! I'm still eating it. lol. We went back to the hotel, chilled out, went over our "strategy" and got our transition bags all ready. SOOOO...as I'm going over the check list...I realize I don't have my race belt! SH*T. It's 12:00 a.m. and I have to head back to the house to pick it up. While there...I picked up a dozen other things that I thought I "might" need (including advil). Got back to the hotel and was asleep by 1:30 a.m. 4:44 a.m. came quickly (too quickly!) IT'S PARTY TIME!!! Got up, got my tri-suit on...bike and Transition bag in hand...down we go...Got body marked...didn't have the nervous bladder or other so no issues there. Ate 1/2 a bagel...a few sips of red bull and some water and I was ready to get jiggy wit it.
Event warmup:

jumped up and down...stretched...told jokes...you know...to keep everyone's spirits light (including mine).
Swim
  • 31m 2s
  • 1931 meters
  • 01m 37s / 100 meters
Comments:

Aside from one minor mistake on my part...an excellent swim for me. My "only" mistake was to attempt to draft off a guy who had no clue what direction he was swimming. He nearly ran into a kayaker near the 4th bouy(yes, I was about to run into him too)...I changed direction and trusted myself to go the rest of the way solo...only had a few folks fondling my feet, but I was fine with that...I'd kick especially hard ocassionally and that seemed to drop whomever was directly behind me a few feet further away. lol.
What would you do differently?:

Not follow Mr. Magoo! Other than that...nothing. I rocked the swim as I had envisioned.
Transition 1
  • 04m 30s
Comments:

First time being stripped of my wetsuit (in race conditions). Got it off until my heels got caught. Funny, I figured my calves were going to be the bottleneck! I heard spectators laughing (assumed it was directed toward the girl that pulled and pulled and pulled but couldn't seem to get the suit off my heels)...I said "here, let me help". HA HA. I proceeded to run the 150 yards to the entrance to T1. Ran another 100 yards to where I thought I parked my bike. Realized I parked it 110 yards from the entrance shortly thereafter (DOH!) lol. I then changed into Bike MAN! Aero helmet on..buckled, shades on...shoes on...gells in tri top pocket..snickers in pocket (more on that later)...I realized that the advil and Enduralyte tablets would dissolve in my tri-suit pocket (being still wet from the swim) if I brought them on the bike, so a quick in-race decision was to hold off on those till the run.

Not much...ran with the bike to mount line and took off (clipping in on the first try with both feet - a rarity for me). Maybe tie a yellow ribbon around 'Eleanor' so that she is spotted quicker coming into T1.
Bike
  • 2h 54m 29s
  • 54.2 miles
  • 18.64 mile/hr
Comments:

I somehow rocked this (for me). My legs were fresh...nailed my nutrition (sans one snickers bar). At mile 22.4...it fell out of my back pocket of the tri top...DRAT! Thought about getting it...determined that it wasn't that important (although tasty, yes!). Thought about picking it up on the 2nd loop...saw it...and again..decided it wasn't that important (but still...so very tasty!) Realized that I was doing very well (again, for me) on the bike and started to believe my aggressive goal of sub 6 was attainable.

Secure snickers bar so it doesn't fall out. sniff sniff. Nothing else...I felt I pushed it hard enough, but not too hard to where I had nothing left for the run (although, I was redlining the E on my run tank...lol)
Transition 2
  • 02m 29s
Comments:

No issues. I actually ran with my bike to my rack...that was cool..normally, my calves don't cooperate with running (I know...more bricks will cure that!). Stood over my stuff for a good 10 seconds just staring at it all...kind of taking it all in (HELLO! THERE'S A RACE BRIAN!). Figured I had all things that I needed and headed out on to the run...well...at least 100 yards to the timing mat and the much needed port-o-potty. fellow BT'er John somehow picked my stall to try to enter (while I was peeing) and yelled "LOCK IT NEXT TIME, KARHU". How'd he know it was me? Honest...He's never seen me pee before! Turns out...it's because Chris and I have the same tri suit style. Or at least that's the story John told me later. LOL.

Nothing. I went as fast and for as long as my legs would allow and then some.
Run
  • 2h 26m 12s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

I began running. Tailwind...slight downhill...first mile 8:17. YIKES! Whoa Nellie. Slow down there. I'm a 10:00/mile kind of guy...this 8:17 is my 5k range...not my 21k range! So...slow down I did...kept it about 11:00/mile pace for the next 10 miles...began to feel pain in the front left quad around mile 2, but gutted it out for as long as I could. Eventually began the walk/run/gimp/walk/run/gimp theory of "just keep moving". Whatever my feet would allow me to do...I did. My HR was a steady 155 for the run...until mile 12. Then it was 139 and holding...I couldn't go any faster...legs said no...so I started clock watching...can I still break 6 hours? Let's see...the turnaround meant 5.x miles out...and then someone said I was 1.5 miles out...and then...oh, F it...just keep on moving...If I break 6 hours...it's meant to be...if not...it's not meant to be...Got a little emotional a couple times on that last 1/2 mile...just from a crazy year it has been (about this exactly time last April, I filed for divorce, witnessed my brother lose his battle with melanoma cancer)...so...here I was...telling myself jokes...telling Tri-Chic to HTFU (really, it was directed at myself..she was just in the area...lol) and finally...the final turn. I checked my chrono...5:57...I checked the finish line clock (6:05)...I knew I started 6 minutes after the pro's..so I knew if I could jog the next 50 yards in less than 3 minutes...I'd get it under 6 hours...and so it goes....

Nothing to compare it to. It was my first HIM... I thought it was fun.
Post race
Warm down:

Med tent to tend to the blister on my right foot. Finisher's max T (two of 'em) and a cotton one too. (hey, I like me some shirts!) Got my finishers medal...headed to the food...ordered two hamburgers...was told to come back in 5 minutes...came back as instructed...waited 15 more minutes while many others were getting served...yelled at the guy (sorry) and eventually got burger and dog...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing. I went as fast as I was able to.

Event comments:

Only issue I had was with the hotel "night manager". I asked for a late check out...he asked what time...I said 2:00. he said can't do that...after 12:30 you will be charged 1/2 a day...I said "let me talk to a manger"..he said "I am the manager"...I said..."let me talk to someone else that will agree with me"...didn't work...but my friend checked us out while we were still racing so I didn't have to go up the chain to get my way (I could have, you know!). Overall...I'm proud of myself...of my brother, Chris...of my friends that came to root Chris and I on. Lest I forget my fellow BT'ers that showed their support too. Tim and Sabrina are great! Tim, I love your wife (ok - I love how you wife gives massages). You are one lucky fella!

I'm 1/2 way to being a bonafide IRONMAN. T-Minus 221 days till IMAZ.

Last updated: 2008-01-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:02 | 1931 meters | 01m 37s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/24
Overall: 33/139
Performance: Good
Suit: QR Long John
Course: out and back in canal "lake"
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:30
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:54:29 | 54.2 miles | 18.64 mile/hr
Overall: 60/139
Wind: Headwind
Course: 2 loops...industrial area mostly. concrete, potholes, gravel, etc. Your typical Dallas roads. Some hills to keep everyone honest.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:29
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:26:12 | 13.1 miles | 11m 10s  min/mile
Overall: 120/139
Performance: Below average
Course: mostly flat cement roads/trail.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-04-16 11:34 AM

Veteran
The Colony, Texas, USA, Earth
Subject: Playtri Half Ironman

2008-04-16 12:28 PM
in reply to: #1341971

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: Playtri Half Ironman
Great race man! WOW! You are a fish! Were you a competitive swimmer in a former life?

Really strong bike too. Look at that average in a strong wind! Run was really solid. Hey, you run a 10 minute mile? I might have found a running buddy? Of course, I can only do that pace up to 6 miles. HA!

Sorry to hear you lost your Snickers. That blows. I lost one of my gels running last weekend and I was so upset... and it was just a nasty gel. Losing a Snickers is serious.

Congrats on your first HIM!
2008-04-16 12:38 PM

User image

Champion
the colony texas
I didnt' know you were that fast of a swimmer,, way to crank it on the bike as well,, that snickers was messing with your aero position anyway so it was a good decision to leave it there
2008-04-16 12:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Round Rock, TX
Great job on your first HIM! I saw your snickers bar on the bike course and it looked so good I almost picked it up myself
2008-04-16 1:19 PM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX

Great RR and awesome race!  I'd like to cry in my cereal about how you beat me by 12 minutes, but if I had a perfect race, you would have only beat me by a minute and I would have still broken 6 hours.  heh

It seems everyone saw your Snickers and my Fastbreak candy bars...I am taping it to my top tube next time!  Great swim, as usual.  Your bike did rock...I smoked mine (for me, without race wheels-ahem!) and you even beat me on that.  Now I have to go and pull the "You're 3 years younger" card out my a$$.  Can I use that on Friday when you take my money at the poker game, too?

You da' man, brother.. a great triathlete!  We are going to rock IMAZ!

Chris (older, feebler, proud brother

2008-04-16 3:47 PM

User image

Expert
Denver

Nice job with the race and getting there after a difficult last year. You killed it on the swim!

2008-04-16 8:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Texas
Great job, Brian! It sounds like you had an excellent first HIM.

Now about that blister.... are you SURE there was a blister there? It looked pretty nonexistant to Raegan and I.
2008-04-16 9:48 PM
in reply to: #1343561

User image

Expert
Plano, TX

sportysue - 2008-04-16 8:59 PM Great job, Brian! It sounds like you had an excellent first HIM. Now about that blister.... are you SURE there was a blister there? It looked pretty nonexistant to Raegan and I.

There was no blister there...he was going for some sympathy points....when I saw the "bandage", I rolled my eyes so far back in my head that I could see who was behind me.  Sadly, it worked.

I think I'll try to do IMAZ in a full body cast and see how that works for me.

Chris

2008-04-16 10:56 PM

Veteran
The Colony, Texas, USA, Earth
there was real pain involved there!
2008-04-17 11:55 AM

User image

Veteran
The Colony, TX
Great race and congrats on completing your first HIM. Way to get in under that 6 hour mark!
2008-04-17 9:38 PM

User image

Dayton, OH
Great job on finishing your first HIM.  Your bike time was great, especially with the wind...maybe you need to sacrifice a Snickers to the Tri Gods every race.

2008-04-18 8:27 AM

User image

Expert
San Antonio, TX

Brian you rock!!  I love your sense of humor.

Nice job on the course....could you at least pretend the bike was tough and mention the wind with the other 200 of us that did this race.

Nice Race!!!  You and Chris are going to do great in November.

2008-04-18 8:35 AM
in reply to: #1343652

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
livestrong - 2008-04-16 9:48 PM

sportysue - 2008-04-16 8:59 PM Great job, Brian! It sounds like you had an excellent first HIM. Now about that blister.... are you SURE there was a blister there? It looked pretty nonexistant to Raegan and I.

There was no blister there...he was going for some sympathy points....when I saw the "bandage", I rolled my eyes so far back in my head that I could see who was behind me.  Sadly, it worked.

I think I'll try to do IMAZ in a full body cast and see how that works for me.

Chris

Dude you better knock on wood. After IMAZ that just happened last weekend... mentioning a body cast is a bad thing.
2008-04-18 12:24 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Dude, nice race!  Going sub-6 at your first HIM is a very fine accomplishment.  Best wishes at IMAZ, future Ironman.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Playtri Half Ironman Rss Feed