Ironman North America
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 08m 16s
Overall Rank = 1082/2000
Age Group = 18-24
Age Group Rank = 46/69
Pre-race routine:

Alarm went off around 4:20 and I was up and ready to go. The good think about racing in California is that 4:20am there is 6:20am here. I drank my first ensure of the morning and ate a peanut butter and honey roll. I drank about 12 oz of water to keep the hydration going. Packed up my stuff and headed out to transition at about 5. I headed out a little earlier than I normally would because I got a tip from one of the locals of a parking area that was only 1/8 mile from transition. Everyone else who didn’t park there had to ride there bikes a good ¾ of a mile to get to transition.

I unloaded and got to the transition area. Wow it was HUGE!! It took me seriously 5 minutes of walking to get to my spot in the transition. Of course I was all the way in the back lol. Got everything together and set up and found Alyssa again. I sat there for a while and watched the pro’s get ready to start. I saw a couple of big name pro’s there. I was the 11th wave, so I still had about 45 minutes until my start. Drank another ½ bottle of ensure and ate a pack of sport beans. I got in line for the swim with about 15 minutes left. Finally it was time for our wave to head out. They give you 3 minutes between waves and you have to swim about 200 yards to the starting line. So the water is freezing, but you don’t have time to get used to it because you have to start swimming to the starting line. I took some advice and stood there for a minute with my face in the water blowing in and out. I think it helped a little, but it was still freezing cold.

Event warmup:

None
Swim
  • 37m 18s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

Since this was a wave start, we only had about 200 people in my wave. The horn sounded and I was off. There was a little fighting for room at first, but it wasn’t too bad. I think everyone was just trying to get used to the water. After about 5-10 minutes my head got numb and the cold pain went away. So pretty much when it’s that cold your breathing technique goes out the window. I couldn’t breathe every 3 strokes like I wanted. I was breathing on the same side the whole time. There was a few times where I really focused on my form and breathing and did ok for like 5 minutes. And then I would get swum into and get thrown off balance and it was back to just splashing in the water. So I swam pretty moderate for most of it. The waves started to get a little bigger at the turn around spot, but not to bad. So I cruised trying to find someone to draft off of when I could. By the end of the swim it was starting to get crowded. I had caught the people in a few waves ahead of me and a few waves had caught me as well.

I fought my way to the swim finish and up the ramp I went at around 37:18. Not to bad, but I wanted closer to 35 minutes.
What would you do differently?:

Not swim in freezing water!!
Transition 1
  • 06m 5s
Comments:

Then came the endless run through transition to my bike. Everyone had to run all the way down the outside of the transition and in the back. I think it took me 3+ minutes to get to my bike. I fumbled around trying to get my jersey on and make sure I had everything. I seriously spent at least 1 minute trying to put on my jersey. It got rolled up in the back and my back was wet so it was sticking to me! Finally I got everything done and ran to the front out of transition. T1 was 6:05. The pros were all at like 2:30 or 3:00 so I didn’t feel too bad.

Get my shirt on faster.
Bike
  • 3h 25m 15s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.37 mile/hr
Comments:

My goal for this race was to just cruise on the bike and try to do really well on the run. The first 28 miles were fairly flat and not too windy. I took them easy, but still averaged around 17.5mph. At mile 32 I encountered a pretty tough hill. There were actually around 20 people walking up with their bikes on the side of the road. It was really tough and I wasn’t moving much faster on my bike than they were walking. After the race, I looked at my Garmin and the hill was 1.1 miles long at a 14% grade!! I still felt like I was on track and was just enjoying the ride not really pushing hard.

The next 24 miles were pretty tough. We went through about 10 miles where it was deceiving and seemed flat but was actually up hill. That factor plus the wind really picked up and was probably 15mph in the face. There was one other hill about 12 miles out that was tough, but nothing compared to the first one. The last 10 miles were pretty flat, but very windy. I was having a hard time keeping 15.5mph into the wind. By this time my neck and back were starting to hurt from riding the tri bike. But I was close to the end. I crossed the timing mat and was glad to be off the bike. I wanted to take it slow and get a time close to 3:10-3:15, but the wind wouldn’t have it today.

Try to train more during the winter so i have a stronger bike base.
Transition 2
  • 03m 27s
Comments:

T2 went well. I made sure I had all my stuff and took off out of transition. Again it was a very long transition, took me 60 seconds to run from my back to the front of transition.
T2 – 3:27

Run
  • 1h 56m 12s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

I started off on the run and I was surprised at how good my legs felt right off the bat. I didn’t have the really heavy legs like I normally do coming off the bike. Maybe this was due to the tri bike or maybe because I didn’t push all that hard on the bike. Anyway, the first mile went by quick and I was passing people left and right. It was starting to get hot, so I tried to keep my water and Gatorade intake up. At the halfway mark of the first loop, I was still feeling really good. I was clipping off 8:30’s and it was feeling great. At this point I was telling myself that I would hold back until 7 or 8 miles and see how I felt. If I felt good, I would push the pace below 8 minute miles. I was still on track taking a GU every 30 minutes and drinking water and Gatorade at every aid station.

At the end of the first loop (6.55 miles) I still felt good. You should have seen me at the aid stations. I would take the first cup of water and pour it on my head. I would stop for 2-3s and drink a cup of Gatorade. Then I’d start running again and take an orange or banana and stuff it down followed by a third cup of water right onto the face and in the mouth. I made it to about mile 8 and I started tiring a little. I realized that my goal to break 6 hours wasn’t going to happen. I just took to long on the bike and I couldn’t make it up with my run. Every mile from then on got a little slower and a little slower. I was losing about 10s/mile every mile or so. I still felt good; my body was just getting tired. At the turn around of the second loop I was running around 9 minute miles. My slowest mile was at mile 11 at about 9:20. Now was the time to have some fun and try new stuff. I tried a cookie at one aid station – It tasted awesome after 6 hours of GU’s lol. I also tried some coke at the last aid station. It really did give me a boost. I felt pretty good the last miles, probably because it was the last mile. I gave a little push the last ¼ and ended up running the last mile in like 8:40. I crossed the line and looked down at my watch.

Post race

Last updated: 2007-12-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:18 | 2112 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 41/69
Overall: 906/2000
Performance: Average
Suit: 2XU Sleeveless
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 57F / 14C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:05
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:25:15 | 56 miles | 16.37 mile/hr
Age Group: 51/69
Overall: 1440/2000
Performance: Below average
Wind: Strong
Course: Windy and a few tough hills
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:27
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:56:12 | 13.1 miles | 08m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 37/69
Overall: 820/2000
Performance: Good
Course: Pretty flat with a few smaller hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-04-18 2:56 PM

User image

Expert
Tulsa
Subject: Ford Ironman 70.3 California

2008-04-19 11:35 AM
in reply to: #1347878

User image

Veteran
Tacoma
Subject: RE: Ford Ironman 70.3 California
I enjoyed your RR. Looks like you had a solid race, Good Job!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ford Ironman 70.3 California Rss Feed