Vancouver Sun Run
7C / 45F
Overcast
Total Time = 38m 26s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 19-24 (?)
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got to the GONGSHOW at like 8:15, it was already so nutso downtown!
It's just serious bustling and bitching up until the race starts, then it gets downright NASTY
Event warmup:

Jogged for about .0002 of a second to shake my legs out!
I never really believed in warming up, even when I swam!
Run
  • 38m 26s
  • 10 kms
  • 03m 50s  min/km
Comments:

So I started out in the pack behind where I should have really started, since the Gear checking took FOREVER. It was really unfortunate because the yellow group looked fairly promising this year, since they were MUCH better at screening people who weren't in the group.

So the race starts and about 50m in, I get my right shoe knocked off my foot by a guy I had just passed. This happens to be the shoe with my timing chip on it. MAD SWEARING ENSUES, since I CANT FIND MY TIMING CHIP.

Now, my girlfriend jokes about the Sun Run Gods having something against me, since this kind of situation has happened 2 years in a row.

Now, I was SUPER DE DUPER mad, and decided now would be a good time to warm-up, so I sprinted and dodged and frogger-d and sprinted until I passed the guy that initially knocked my shoe off. It felt damn good, except I realized then that I wouldn't get an official time for the 2nd year running. &@T^&%^%#@&^$%$&

So the first 5km blew by, couldn't believe how quick it seemed, even though I was playing MAD leap frog for the WHOLE TIME. Clocked in at 20:36 for the first 5km. I wasn't impressed, so I really turned it on!

The next 2km were probably the most consistent (and straight) running periods without dodging people, and I feel that it would be obvious in my splits, had I taken them.

Last 3km was probably just as bad as the first 2km. I dont know what was going on, but it was a wall of people EVERYWHERE. I went out into traffic twice (and got shoo'd by a cop both time) just to get around rows of people that were kinda half-jogging. It was fairly frustrating since they were wearing Yellow numbers (for men, 41-44 mins for the 10km) and they wouldn't even stagger to allow people to pass.

Anyways, finally got to km 9, and just booked it, splitting a 3:36 for my last km. Me and this one guy had been passing eachother back and forth from about 5km on, so we kinda battled it out for the finish, with him just passing me. I said good job, gave a handshake then went to get my chip taken off...
OH WAIT
I didn't have a chip :( :( :( GARRRR
What would you do differently?:

-Get to the race earlier so I could check my bag earlier and not start in the Green group instead of the Yellow group
-Superglue my chip to my skin, then use a nailgun to keep it there (just in case)

Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, grabbed some free Chocolate milk and bananas from BC place, waited for Carolyn to finish!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

PEOPLE..... THEY WERE EVERYWHERE!
59,000 people. Absolutely nutso!

Event comments:

I almost wish they would either a) Limit the number of entries or B) really figure out an effective system of corralling and releasing the waves.
The corral system was definitely better this year, but could still improve for shizzle!

Last updated: 2008-04-19 12:00 AM
Running
00:38:26 | 10 kms | 03m 50s  min/km
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Opted not to wear my HRM, with all the weaving and stopping and sprinting I did, it would have been a STUPID number
Course: 10km! Through downtown-ish Vancouver!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-04-20 5:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Victoria
Subject: Vancouver Sun Run 10k

2008-04-20 6:08 PM
in reply to: #1350051

User image

Extreme Veteran
Vancouver BC
Subject: RE: Vancouver Sun Run 10k

why were you in the green group!?!?  I was even in the yellow group and this was my first 10K ever!  My Sun Run training group leaders told me to sign up for the yellow group even though it didn't really match my estimated time because everyone else ends up in the wrong group and you end up dodging 'slowpokes' in the green/white bibs.  Now I guess it could be argued that people like me only perpetuate the problem....but when I did the Run for the Cure - in my 'running' group I had to dodge people walking with umbrellas and strollers!  They were hardly trying to run!  Didn't want the same experience.

I am sorry about your chip btw - that stinks!  But great time overall!!!  I would be THRILLED to break into the 40min's next year!

2008-04-20 8:14 PM

User image

Master
Port Moody, BC
Awesome finish! that is a great time for such a crowd! WOW and the chip? WTF? that is brutal, hope you don't get charged for that!
2008-04-20 8:14 PM

User image

Master
Port Moody, BC
Awesome finish! that is a great time for such a crowd! WOW and the chip? WTF? that is brutal, hope you don't get charged for that!
2008-04-20 10:05 PM

User image

Expert
Pitt Meadows, BC
Congrats man! Sucks about the chip, but with having to deal with the people and stop for your shoe, your time is really good!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Vancouver Sun Run 10k Rss Feed