Setup Events
69F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 20m 39s
Overall Rank = 20/171
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/
Pre-race routine:

I woke-up around 6:00 and got ready. I headed out for the race site around 6:30. On the way there I just ate a bagel with peanut butter and drank some gatorade.
Event warmup:

I did not warm-up too much. I probably did a 10 minute run and then came back and put on the wetsuit. I jumped in the water and got in a couple of strokes before the race started.
Swim
  • 16m 14s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 59s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim for this event was a little different and everyone got in line by your race number and went 10 seconds apart. I started off and felt good. I swam to the first buoy about as straight as I could in my opinion so I was happy with that.
What would you do differently?:

Just swim more and hopefully become a better swimmer and at the same time become more flexible. Flexibility is so key in swimming and you can really tell when in open water. The good swimmers can look up and still be flexible enough to get there arms back and out of the water....that would not be me!!!
Transition 1
  • 01m 11s
Comments:

I could tell it had been a while since my last tri. I did not take my swim cap and goggles completely off until I was at my transition area. I did have my wetsuit down and ready. I jerked it off, snatched off my swim cap and goggles, put on my bike shoes and off I went!!

Not a whole lot but I could have been more efficient!!
Bike
  • 40m 57s
  • 14.5 miles
  • 21.25 mile/hr
Comments:

I had two people pass me on the bike and I probably passed about 5-6. The second person passed me within the last two miles so I kept him in range and reeled him in as we went into transition. He was also in my age group so I wanted to keep him close. We came out of transition together and ran the first mile together. Then I dropped him!! I had to work pretty hard on this ride and the lack of bike work was felt in my legs for sure. I definitely need more T.I.T.S.!!!

Ride more before the race!!
Transition 2
  • 00m 41s
Comments:

I got one of my feet out of my shoes and was able to ride with my foot on the shoe but the other one would not cooperate so I had to unclip it!! I ran into transition with one shoe on and one off....nice!!!

Not look like a dork with one shoe on and one shoe off!!!
Run
  • 21m 38s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

I came out of transition with a guy in my age group and my only thought was to not let this guy go. I ran on his shoulder until mile one and I was able to get my body under control at that point. I steadily picked up the pace and dropped him while looking for others to pick off. I got passed by two people and probably passed 5 or 6. A good run for me with a last 1.1 mile of 6:30!!

Not work as hard on the bike so I could settle in a little faster on my run. I would also do some bricks....I hear those help!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Water and Pizza!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I am just not quite in triathlon shape yet but overall a good race for me. As I get more time on the bike and some track work under me, I hope to improve these efforts!!

Event comments:

I really enjoyed this race and I think this race will start getting a lot more entrants in the next year of so. It a good race right before White Lake and the water was right at 70!! The outside temperature was great as well!!

Last updated: 2008-03-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:14 | 820 yards | 01m 59s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 46/171
Performance: Good
Suit: QR sleeveless
Course: It was a clockwise course and no chop. There were 5 buoys with two turn buoys. I swam to the first buoy about as straight as I could and then headed to the next one. I really had no problems with direction until I turned in towards the shore. The sun was right in my eyes so I just kept getting a little off course. Overall a good swim for me. A guy from my Master's class that swims in the faster lane right next to me hit the shore at the same time I did which means he only made up 10 seconds on me!!! I'll take that!!
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:11
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:40:57 | 14.5 miles | 21.25 mile/hr
Overall: 27/171
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: This was a counter-clockwise loop and the first 5 miles was a slight incline into the wind then the next 7 was a tailwind and then finishing with a little bit of head wind.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:41
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:38 | 03.11 miles | 06m 58s  min/mile
Overall: 21/171
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back. Coming out of transition you had to climb a pretty big hill and kept ascending for most of the first mile. Then you had a mix for mile two with the last mile finishing mostly downhill!!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-04-21 1:26 PM

User image

Expert
North Carolina
Subject: Belews Lake Triathlon
Enjoy!!

Edited by BeCivil 2008-04-21 1:28 PM

2008-04-22 4:36 PM
in reply to: #1352015

User image

Veteran
Fayetteville, NC
Subject: RE: Belews Lake Triathlon

Congratulations!  I think you did an awesome job.  I can't wait to see what you can do when you are in "triathlon shape"!!  Good job

2008-04-23 9:20 AM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Great race.  Early season tris are so difficult but you put together a stellar race.  Congrats!
2008-04-28 9:18 AM

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland

Congratulations !

Sounds like a great race

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Belews Lake Triathlon Rss Feed