St. Anthony's Triathlon
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 42m 57s
Overall Rank = 1258/3531
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 179/332
Pre-race routine:

On Friday, I completed packet pickup and decided to get a massage to have my hamstring worked on. She cracked open my hamstrings and it felt REALLY good.

I had my one freak-out moment on Saturday when Amy was getting a massage. I heard the announcer talking about what you needed to put your bike into transition and thought "Okay, well I'll just get my number out of the packet...IN THE HOTEL!!! F*CK!" So I had to drive back to the hotel and get my packet while leaving Amy on the massage table, which evidently worked out really well for her. :)

After all of the festivities on Saturday, Amy had the really good idea to pack everything in the car that night so all we had to deal with on Sunday morning was our clothing and pre-race nutrition. That gave us the chance to sleep in for an extra few minutes.
Event warmup:

Parked at the pier right by swim start and walked over to transition.

Found Terri and got my school-teacher handwritten body marking done. It was FAB-U-LOUS! :)

Set up my transition area. Aerobottle, eFuel, helmet, sunglasses, shoes on the bike with rubber bands. New Trances, socks folded down and sitting in the shoes, race belt, visor, hydration belt.

Went back and found Terri & Pete and hung out chatting with them while we were joined by Jeff, Jeff, and Amy. Ate my customary frosted blueberry poptarts and continued to sip on my 1.5L bottle of water. I was determined to stay well hydrated.

We strolled over to the pier around 6:30 and hung out by my car while waiting for the start. We got to see the Special Ops guys skydive in with the flags and try to storm the beach from behind the port-a-pots.
Swim
  • 28m 35s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

Ran into the water and got to the 2nd bouy before the waves really started to be a hassle. The swim conditions really made the OWS training that Amy and I used to do in the Chesapeake Bay and the Choptank River worth while. Riding the waves and finding my breathing rhythm felt natural, not panicked.

I did try and grab feet whenever possible and did a couple of long sessions behind one guy who was going my same pace. I've never been able to grab feet before and it was really a cool feeling.

As we were swimming in on the last part, the current was so strong that I kept wondering if they were adding buoys as I was swimming. The water was shallow enough that I considered just trying to walk in. I finally got to the steps and had to be helped up. I couldn't seem to steady myself on my feet.
What would you do differently?:

Possibly a sleeveless wetsuit.
Transition 1
  • 01m 57s
Comments:

Grabbed a cup of what they said was water and turned out to be Gatorade. Salt on salt is a BAD taste when you just want to rinse your mouth.

Found my bike without a hassle and stepped on the wetsuit to get it off pretty quickly. Grabbed the sunglasses, strapped on the helmet, and took off running with the bike.

When I set up the pedals, I made sure the right shoe was forward so I could mount by just stepping over the top tube and right onto the shoe to start pedaling. It worked PERFECTLY!

Considering the size of the transition area, I'm really happy with this transition time.
Bike
  • 1h 10m 58s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.01 mile/hr
Comments:

I had two target zones for this race: 20+mph and 80-85rpm. Whereever those two zones intersected was the gear that I chose.

I made sure not to get caught up in the chase packs for 2 reasons; 1. because I didn't want to get tagged for drafting, and 2. because I didn't want someone else to dictate my pace. I found my happy cadence and power level and continued to push in that range. I did get passed by a bunch of guys but I was not racing against them. I was racing against the clock.

Whenever we had a tailwind or a downhill, I did make sure to move to a higher gear. I wanted to take advantage of all the free speed that I could get.

The time on the bike just seemed to fly by. As I hit the 20 mile mark, people started to sit up like their back was cramping. I will admit that I felt a mild twinge in my back but I wasn't going to slow down b/c I knew the clock wasn't going to slow down with me.

As we came back in towards the Vinoy, I was paying attention to other bikers to see when they were unstrapping their feet. I always forget to unstrap and end up running into T2 with my shoes on. This time, I unstrapped and got my feet out before transition and went running into T2 barefoot.

Nutritionally, I did really well. I was consistently sipping from my AeroBottle (water) and, every 6 minutes, I was taking a pull from my bottle of eFuel. I was drinking so much water that I actually emptied the AeroBottle about a mile before the bottle exchange. But I never felt bloated, I just felt really solid.

Nada. Zip. Zilch. Zero. Nothing.
Transition 2
  • 02m 22s
Comments:

Racked the bike and grabbed my socks. I had to dust off the feet a bit before putting on the socks but got them on and got the shoes tied. I debated on Saturday night about putting in Yankz but decided that a more secure shoe was going to be more important than a fast-on shoe.

Put on the race belt, grabbed the visor and hydration belt, and started running for the exit. I put on the visor as I was running for the exit and strapped on the hydration belt as I was already out on the run.

Maybe use Yankz. Not sure, though.
Run
  • 59m 6s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

This was where my day was going to be made or broken. The sub-1 hour run had always eluded me. My stomach has always locked up. I was always so tired that I wanted to walk. Something was always forcing me to be slower.

As I started to find my groove, I felt a hard twinge in the lower left part of my back. I knew that my hamstring was starting to cry out and I was still within the first mile. This was my gut-check moment; at the very beginning of the run. Either I could shut it down and run in comfort or I could be uncomfortable and break some records.

Today I WANTED that 2:45 time and I knew that I only had an hour to get it.

I blocked the pain, settled in on my pace and just kept running. I would walk at each water stop, but I would quickly start running again so I wouldn't lose too much time.

As the sun crept up, there was less shade to be found on the run. I started to bake on the 2nd half but I kept drinking from my bottle and kept grabbing gatorade at each water station. Most of all, I just kept running. My times slowed a bit on miles 3-5 slipping to 9:45-9:50 but, with just over a mile to go, I started to push it. Mile 6 was down to a 9:15, and I covered the last 0.2mi in 1:30.

My coach had always talked about keeping a consistent pace and then dropping the hammer at the end. This was the first race where I actually had the energy to drop it. And I DID!

As I came down the final straight, I saw Lisa and then the BT Girls (plus Jeff) sitting by the finish line. I was going to be finished and more importantly:

I BEAT 2:45!!!

More consistent massage leading up to the race and making sure all of my muscles are as strong as they can be.
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed my towel and some fluids and headed back over to sit with the BT crew and cheer in some other racers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

General speed and endurance, which will come with training and time.

Event comments:

This was the first time I've raced in 7 months, and the first time I've done a race where I've had to set up transition in almost a year. It's like riding a bike. Once you get in the groove, everything comes back to you. It felt so good to be in a race atmosphere again.

This race was partly about setting a PR, but also about revenge; mostly, revenge on myself for being such an idiot at last year's race. Even on the run, I knew that I would easily set a PR, but once I sunk my teeth into the 2:45 goal, and knew it was in my range, I wasn't going to release. I was a pit bull.

It was a fantastic way to top off a great and memorable weekend.

Thanks to everyone who came out and made it so special.

Last updated: 2007-12-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:35 | 1640 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 121/332
Overall: 0/3531
Performance: Good
Suit: Full-sleeve
Course: 3-sided trapezoid
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:57
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:10:58 | 24.85 miles | 21.01 mile/hr
Age Group: 173/332
Wind: Some
Course: Road course w/ a series of out-and-backs
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 82
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:22
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:59:06 | 06.21 miles | 09m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 240/332
Course: Out and back through the neighborhoods
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-04-28 7:34 AM

User image

Champion
Subject: St. Anthony's Triathlon

2008-04-28 8:01 AM
in reply to: #1365708

User image

Expert
acton, Ma
Subject: RE: St. Anthony's Triathlon
Way to go!  Great race executed as planned -- congrats on your sub 2:45
2008-04-28 8:14 AM

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
Great job Shaun!
2008-04-28 8:26 AM

User image

Elite
San Jose, CA
Great Race!!!!
2008-04-28 9:09 AM

User image

Elite
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Awesome job Shaun.  It was great hanging out with you this weekend.  Congrat on the Sub 2:45 and sub 1:00 run.  Next year we both have the sub 2:40 overall goal.
2008-04-28 9:52 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Glad you had a good weekend congrats on teh PR.  thanks for cheering for my dad on Saturday

2008-04-28 11:11 AM

Master
Boston

What a great race report. It really sounds like you had fun out there. Seeing all you guys do so well makes me wish I had raced...oh well - I'll get 'em next year.

Your bike avg. is incredible, too!!

I see you going 2:30 next year.

2008-04-28 11:27 AM

Sydney Australia
Subject:
2008-04-28 3:47 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-04-28 8:06 PM

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South
Awesome. Way to suck it up on the run.    
2008-04-28 11:34 PM

St Petersburg, Florida
WOW!  Outstanding!

2008-04-29 8:16 AM

Master
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
Damn dude...you TOTALLY rocked that race.  What an awesome day you had!  I'm so proud of you!  You really fought hard, gave it your all, and did what you needed to do.  That's the mark of a great athlete.  Congrats on an awesome PR, and an awesome race!!  WOOHOO!!
2008-04-29 10:02 PM

Veteran

Shade?  You had SHADE on the run?!?!??!?!?!

Congrats on the PR! 

2008-04-30 7:43 PM

Master
South Florida
sounds like you, er, RACED   and it paid off!!!  congrats on the PRs-nice to meet the Gopher
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Anthony's Triathlon Rss Feed