BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gnu's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2008-07-17 7:57 PM
in reply to: #1372061

Southern California
Subject: RE: Gnu's Group - CLOSED
Hi all,

I don't know if any of you are looking for a wetsuit, but if so I had an email sent to me by Xterra Wetsuits offering 50% off of any Vortex 2 wetsuits. I am participating in the Solana Beach triathlon next weekend and they sent the email to all participants. The website is www.xterrawetsuits.com and the code is SLNBCH50. Check it out if you want a good deal on a wetsuit.

- Jeremy

2008-07-18 9:49 PM

User image

Has anyone heard from Gary lately? I wonder how the training is going in addition to all the wedding planning he must be doing.

Edited by jhinrichs11 2008-07-18 9:52 PM
2008-07-19 5:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland, Ohio
He's in Lake Placid for his Ironman on Sunday!  I can't even imagine how crazy-excited he must be.
2008-07-20 10:30 AM

User image

Elite
Athens, Georgia
Update on Gnu. I can't believe he avg almost 20mph on that hilly course.

GARY COURTNEY
BIB AGE STATE/COUNTRY PROFESSION
779 37 TAMPA FL USA

SWIM BIKE RUN OVERALL RANK DIV.POS.
1:09:43 --:-- --:-- --:-- -- --

LEG DISTANCE PACE RANK DIV.POS.
TOTAL SWIM 2.4 mi. (1:09:43) 1:50/100m 815 160

FIRST BIKE SEGMENT 56 mi. (2:48:43) 19.92 mph
FINAL BIKE SEGMENT 56 mi. (--:--) -- mph
TOTAL BIKE 112 mi. (--:--) -- mph --

FIRST RUN SEGMENT 13.1 mi. (--:--) --/mile
FINAL RUN SEGMENT 13.1 mi. (--:--) --/mile
TOTAL RUN 26.2 mi. (--:--) --/mile --

2008-07-20 10:53 AM

User image

Elite
Athens, Georgia
Forgot to mention that it is pouring rain.
2008-07-20 3:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland, Ohio

Yeah I just checked in and he finished the bike now.  He's doing so well!

Well I survived my first tri today!  It was great.  I had SO much fun, really enjoyed it.  Went alone, which is a little unnerving, but as I stepped away from being marked I heard, "NICHOLE!"...it was a former cross-country teammate (and friend) that I hadn't seen since high school!  It was great to have her there, nice distraction from the nerves. 

It was a flat, fast course.  Swim was great, it went by SO fast.  Bike was fast and totally flat.  The only thing I hurt on was the run.  My lack of run training (due to lovely shin splints) was obvious. Nonetheless, I did great considering my total run milage for June was 11 miles and even less in July.  Even so I just set a comfy pace and was happy to cross that finish line.

I finished in 1:23:27, I think...I didn't get splits or anything so I'll have to wait until they get those up on the 'net so I can do my race report.  I was shooting for under and hour and a half and I did it, so for a first tri it was great.  Now I can't wait until my shin is 100% to see how I can do.

2008-07-20 4:38 PM

User image

Elite
Athens, Georgia
That is awesome Nichole. That is a great time. Isn't it so rewarding to finish after all the training you put in. Take a break for a while you deserve it. I will have to check you logs again to see when your next race is. Looking forward to that RR
2008-07-20 5:02 PM
in reply to: #1543502

User image

Nice race Nichole - congrats on the outstanding finish time as well!
2008-07-22 1:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland, Ohio

Thanks!  They finally got the race results up.  147/240 overall, 7/16 AG.  Not too shabby for my first race out the gate.  A little erked b/c they didn't do T2 splits, they just lumped it into the run time.  And the swim time included this LONG run from the water up to the transition area, had to be close to an extra quarter mile!  On cobblestone.  Barefoot.  Lovely. 

Gary, how are you feeling????  If you aren't in a wheelchair, I'm amazed.  What stunned me was the sheer number of entrants in that race!  Almost 2500!??!!  THAT many people do IM's?!  Wow I totally have no excuse, I have to try someday!

2008-07-22 2:27 PM
in reply to: #1549550

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

Great job Nichole! 

I have my first triathlon this Sunday and the butterflies are starting big time.  My biggest problem - getting over wearing that lovely trisuit that makes me feel like a stuffed sausage.  It is light purple with hot pink accents.  What was I thinking. I did pick up a sports bra and compression shorts but am not sold on them.  The shorts don't have any chamois.  Should I stick with my tri suit since I have been training in it lately? Any pointers for the morning of the triathlon?  I am in the 10th wave (final one for the sprint) which means I am waiting almost 30 minutes from the actual start of the race.  Someone asked me the other day what I was most afraid to do and I could honestly say that I am looking forward to all of it.  I think the bike is probably the hardest for me but because we did the ride twice now, I know that I can do it.    There are close to 2500 athletes competing between the sprint and the olympic. 

2008-07-24 9:10 PM
in reply to: #1549697

User image

Randi - good luck this weekend. You are prepared...don't even worry about the bike you are going to do awesome!

As for the clothing thing I would wear something you have trained in a least a few times. I think the theory is never to try something new on race day.

I wish I could give you advice on how to successfully manage a tri but I'm 0 for 1 so I don't think I'll spout anything about that here.

Best of luck to you I can't wait to see your report!

2008-07-25 5:46 AM
in reply to: #1557700

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

Thanks!  I did remember reading to wear for the triathlon what you train in and since I knew I was not going to get a chance to wear the sports bra/compression shorts thing, I returned them and will wear my lovely purple tri-suit and just suck it up and realize I will be able to add to the finish line photo thread.  (haha)

2008-07-25 2:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

Okay,  I am sitting here at home and I guess I have had too much down time today because I am officially totally freaked out about the triathlon on Sunday.  I know that I am prepared as much as I can be but I just cannot shake the feeling like I just want to curl up in a ball and cry my eyes out and scream "what the !@@r was I thinking signing up for a triathlon and how the heck am I going to do this?"  I have no appetite and am sick to my stomach.

I have been thinking and planning for this triathlon for a year since it was because I volunteered last year that I decided to compete this year.  Is it because it is finally coming to fruition?  I am assuming this is totally normal but would love any suggestions on how to get past this.

2008-07-28 10:23 AM

User image

Elite
Athens, Georgia
How did yesterday go for you Randi. I haven't checked your logs yet to see if you posted but just wanted to check. Hope all is well for everyone.

2008-07-28 10:44 AM
in reply to: #1564088

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

Hi Mike,

Thanks for checking on me.  I should have posted on Friday after my last post that I went for a bike ride and it helped settle the nerves.  I updated my logs but am currently working on my race report. I had it all typed out and accidentally hit something and lost all of it.  I finished in just over 2 hours  (2:07:02),  way under my goal of finishing in 2 1/2 hours.  Glad I did that because otherwise I would have been last,  instead I am just BOP - not bad for my first Tri!  I am a bit sore, mostly my quads, and tired but am still a bit amazed that I was able to finish.  My husband participated too and finished 10 ahead of me in the overall.  I still get choked up thinkign about what I have accomplished and cannot wait for next year. Now I need to start looking for another Tri to do before next July.  Yes, I am hooked. 

One sad note is the missing man from the triathlon who went missing during the swim.  He was 52 yr old first-timer.  He checked in for the swim but they have no record of him exiting the water and his gear and car were exactly as they left them.  We were still in the park when the dive teams were called out.  We had been told they thought it was someone who went back into the water to cool off after the race but that no lifeguards were on duty.  You cannot usually swim in the lake.  This has put a little damper on the good mood.  I keep thinking that it could have been me or my husband who did not come out even as prepared as we were.  The missing (found) man was actually in my husband's wave.  I do believe that when it is your time, it is your time so if I were meant to drown,  I would have.   (edited) They just reported that they have recovered his body and will be doing an autopsy today.  The family was at the park around 1am (either paying vigil or possibly searching on their own based on different reports) when his body was spotted.    How very sad...

Also, some bad thunderstorms rolled through around 2:30pm but I was already home. I know there were people still at the park and worried about them being out there. I have not heard any bad news except tents got overturned and litter scattered everywhere.

I know that I have to work on some stuff but figure I have time now and a better idea of what to do differently.  Meanwhile, I will continue to relish the idea of being a triathlete. 

Edited by Fechter99 2008-07-28 11:20 AM
2008-07-29 7:51 AM

User image

Maryland
I'm back from my various travels now...and here is my race report from my blog:

The 3Sports Triathlon in Richmond, VA marks my first distance event ever.

Picking the race was a challenge. I wanted a pool start, which would be logistically simpler, and the bike course had to be relatively flat, as cycling is not a strong point. My summer consists of two conferences, a family vacation, a son's graduation and then going off to college and another son's camps. This made for a logistical challenge. I didn't want to commit to IronGirl, the race to which I was emotionally attached, because my son was going off to college around that time and I wasn't sure there would be a time conflict. And before I could figure out my schedule -- and sign on the dotted line -- the race sold out. Total bummer!! After researching just about every race in the vicinity, I picked this race which is held in at a YMCA in the suburbs of Richmond, a really nice area.

In the weeks leading up to the race, I couldn't believe that this was actually happening. Unlike the disappointing injury before what would have been my first half marathon, I wasn't injured. True, I woke up one morning on vacation with the outside of my knee hurting, but I'd done a big brick, run, and bike ride in the preceding days. It was a week from the race and I decided that I was done training and would do a major taper. All I did was go to one swim practice. I was fresh and ready to go.

About 1.5 weeks prior to the race, I took a tip from a member of the swim team, and did a bike-run brick the approximate length of the race course. This simulated the fatigue of the run and boosted my confidence.

I was so VERY nervous about the race. I did not think that I could do this. I worried that I hadn't trained enough. I had a lot of ambivalence and even thought of backing out of the race. I thought that I'd lost my mind to think that I could do a triathlon. What was I thinking when I got this big idea a year ago to do a triathlon??

Before the race, I visualized each part of the race and strategies I could use. I also researched some positive affirmations to tell myself throughout the race, which was a great strategy.

Soon enough, I was standing outside the pool, waiting for the race to begin.

Swim - sharks rule
300 meters - 6:58
I seeded myself too fast. I gave them an honest time from a swim meet, but this psyched me out completely. I was seeded not too far behind the college dudes and the Virginia Tech Triathlon team, and I was racked with people with expensive bikes. I'm a middle-aged person with a vintage road bike. If I do another pool start race, I'll add a minute or two to my estimated time. I tried to be courteous and let the faster people pass me. Knowing that the two toughest events are coming up, I tend to look at the swim as a refreshing warmup.

T1 - 2:47
I'd actually practiced my transition the night before, working on assembling myself from head to toe. However, in the heat of the moment, I worked from toe to head. Someone gave me a great tip on how to roll up your socks and stick them in your shoe and this helped, as did having speed laces for my bike shoes. I decided to wear the bike shoes because I wanted to reduce the numb foot problem, which still bothers me.

Bike - going it alone
12 miles - 46:13
I had envisioned riding in a group, but my biggest surprise was that for most of the bike course, I didn't see many people. I drove the course the night before and I could see that it was relatively flat, with a few very gently rolling hills and some incline-type hills. This was much easier terrain than I'd been practicing on, which was a major confidence booster.

T2 - 2:30

Run - splat!
5K - 34:02
This was an out and back course. I was tired by this time and the run seemed to go on forever and ever. My goal was to run to the turnaround point before walking, but I began walking and running before then. As I ran back, I suddenly went SPLAT as I tripped and fell on the sidewalk. I don't know whether I tripped on the sidewalk - or just my own feet! This gave me skinned knees and hands, an embarrassing moment, and a pesky injury. I'll have to remember to pick up my feet while running, even if I'm tired.

My goal for the race was to finish and come in with a respectable time. I came in at 1:32:28, and while happy with my accomplishment, I felt that I could have been faster. This race was the perfect first-timer event.

I have the urge to sign up for another triathlon. In 2009, it will be IronGirl or bust!

2008-07-29 5:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland, Ohio
Congrats Randi and Susan!  You both sound like you had very accomplished races, that's awesome! 
2008-07-29 6:13 PM

User image

Elite
Athens, Georgia
It is funny how this mentor group is working out. Strangely enough I have gotten attached to you guys and I feel so proud of the three of you knocking out your races recently and I am not even the Mentor. Great job ladies!
2008-07-29 6:16 PM
in reply to: #1566553

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
Congrats Susan!  Hope your knees and hands are not too bad.  I know what you mean about being ready for another triathlon.  I am trying to find one that I can squeeze in before the weather changes too much.  I watched the Las Vegas Iron Girl race on DVR the night before my race and it was amazing to see.  There are a few women only races here that I missed this year but will consider them for next year but I am definitely not ready yet to significantly increase my distances so I have to look at that too.
2008-07-29 8:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland, Ohio

You know it's so hard to see all these people cranking out the HIM and IM's and I'm like, "hey, I wanna play toooooo!"....but I know I can't.  Not now anyways.  So I guess we can just enjoy our sprints, huh?

Having a virtual mentor group IS awesome.  I belong to an online mom's group too and it's the same way.  We've "known" each other for almost 8 years, and even though we are spread around the country many of us have met in person.  I think it's cool that we have these kinds of virtual resources because I believe it ultimately connects you to more people in real life. 

In other words, I'm waiting for my invitation to Florida, Gary or Mike....particularly in like February.  Thanks.

2008-07-29 9:02 PM

User image

Elite
Athens, Georgia
February is my birthday. I might be able to work out a beach condo for you and the fam. Not the greatest time of year to be at the beach but I can almost promise you some better weather than where you are from. But you know you will have to train with us while you are down. It won't be all fun and games.

2008-07-30 6:06 AM
in reply to: #1568433

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey

I agree Mike and Nichole!  I feel like I have gotten to know all of you. I was also part of a mentor group from January which was all women and all but one of us were new to triathlons.  We are all still in touch with each other.  These mentor groups are an amazing way to really connect with so many others on BT.  This spring mentor group I think is especially exciting because it is when so many of us are experiencing our first triathlons too. 

I have also been a part of an online group but for scrapbooking for almost 10 years and even travelled to Texas alone to meet many of the amazing women on that group. It was scary at first when I really stopped and thought about it but by the time I made that trip, I had heard about and seen pictures of their families.  I truly felt like I knew them. Now I count them as my dearest friends.  Without the internet, I would never have gotten to know them. 

The silly thing is that so many of the BT people were at the NJ State yet we did not meet up.  If I can remember for next year, I will try to be sure we have a place to meet and get a group photo at least.

Edited by Fechter99 2008-07-30 6:12 AM
2008-07-30 8:03 AM

User image

Elite
Athens, Georgia
It is funny that I don't think of fellow BT people as people I "met on the internet". That still has a little bit of a negative or taboo connotation. But I think that is going away in society now. BT has been amazing in my training. I still have a long way to go but I have made some pretty good improvements that would have taken a lot longer without BT. And I have met a ton of people and even met over ten people in person.

Have another group ride this weekend with BT people so I am very grateful to have found this site. Also this mentor group. Gary is the one that got me together for my first group ride and motivated me to push harder and longer on the bike. I am doing my first century this weekend. I still cannot believe that. About a month ago my longest ride was less than 40 miles. My best month on the bike was a little over a hundred until I did the bike challenge this month and tried to do 300, which I barely squeaked out.

I will be in Ohio in Nov and New Jersey in Dec or Jan. so if any of you guys are close enough maybe we could meet up for a group swim. Sorry just rubbing it in that we can pretty much swim year round, though I am buying a wetsuit for the winter.
2008-07-30 8:15 AM
in reply to: #1569158

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
I am in NJ, but no, not interested in an OWS swim in December or January but would love to get together to visit!  We could swim at the Y inside where the water and the air are warm!  Where exactly in NJ will you be?  I am near Trenton (central NJ)

Edited by Fechter99 2008-07-30 8:16 AM
2008-07-30 8:27 AM

User image

Elite
Athens, Georgia
We will be in a small town outside of Atlantic City called Northfield. And I will be travelling back and for to Philly. My wife is having yet another eye sugury (7th one) there and they don't let me stay so I make the hour plus commute back to her grandfather's house where I stay. She/We also have family farther north so it would be closer to Trenton. I have to find out exactly where.

We usually come up every summer but this has been a bad couple of years medically and financially as a result so we had to forgo the trip this year. I absolutely love South Jersey and her family so I am still kinda bumbed out for not making it up.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gnu's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 13