Cox Rhode Island
40F / 4C
Precipitation
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 0/
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Laid out all of my stuff the night before. Carb'ed up 48hours before hand, morning of had my coffee and bagel. Drank a bit of water and headed to the race.
Event warmup:

It was misting/pouring and back and forth between the two. Parked with the Team-in-Training people, went over to Providence Place Mall, used the bathroom and got on the shuttle bus. When i got to the race site, I got my stuff and checked in. There was a building most people were using to stay dry/warm.

We were kicked out and then kicked out of a 2nd building as well. Everyone then had to stand around in the rain/cold. There were 10-12 porta-potties outside which would have been sufficient with 1/3 the people there were present. The line was 1/5 mile long. It was bad. The girl singing the national anthem messed up.

I had a CarbBOOM! about 20min before the late race start. I felt great and was ready to race.
Run
  • 00m
  • 13.1 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

My first 5 miles were great. I was right where I wanted to be. I had my gel just after mile 5 at the aid station so I could have a small drink of water to wash it down. Shortly after my my knee started hurting so I walked a bit and then tried to run and could not without very bad pain. I stopped tried to move my knee around a bit and decided to try to run again.

I could not so, I was at just about the halfway point and decided I would powerwalk and shoot for 2:30. However by this point I could no longer walk without pain. There was the only medical tent apparently someways back. I hobbled back and told them I was done and that my knee hurt to bad to continue.

All I wanted was a ride to the finish so I could go to my car and go home. They said the only place they could take me was to the hospital. They checked me out and said I probably needed an MRI or X-ray and why not get it now. The hospital was closer to the finish anyway. I got into the ambulance on my own power.

I got there and debated whether to check-in or call a cab. figured the medic guys were right about the X-ray, and checked in. I have insurance after waiting I got in waited more the only Dr on duty then wrote a prescription for Ibprofen and told me to call my Doctor back home in a few weeks if its not better. I explained that I had rested the past two weeks. He then discharged me and told me I was misled into coming.

I then called a Taxi took it to my car paid the lady. Skipped all postrace activities, drove to REI exchanged my trail shoes for a different pair picked up some other stuff from their anniversary sale.

Ate at Pei Wei (only location in New England), had a beer and drove home.
What would you do differently?:

No idea, not mess my knee up two weeks prior. Everything I did prerace was awesome, I felt great. My first 5 miles I was just a tad faster than my gial pace which was good.

Finish.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My knee.

Event comments:

I would race it again. I skipped everything post race including picking up my shirt/goodie bag I had sent to the finish.

I was mad at myself. My 'injury' is from running two days back to back. I always ran every other day without problems then decided to run 2. MY own fault I tried to push it but I really did feel awesome.

Now it is beautiful outside and I feel like I wasted the day.

Oh well.

Last updated: 2008-04-23 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 13.1 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
I did 6.32 miles including walking back in 52:46. Avg HR 178. Mile 1 8:18 Avg HR 167 Mile 2 7:53 Avg HR 180 Mile 3 7:51 Avg HR 182 Mile 4 8:15 Avg HR 184 Mile 5 8:00 Avg HR 180 Mile 6 8:42 Avg HR 182 Started walking The rest of the time was walking around, I was right where I wanted to be until about 5.7miles in. Mile 6 would have been under 8min/mile.
Course: From what I ran it was good except for a short bit that was pot-holed and rough.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-05-04 2:37 PM

User image

Elite
Subject: Cox Rhode Races Half Marathon

2008-05-04 3:46 PM
in reply to: #1380706

User image

Extreme Veteran
Warwick, Rhode Island
Subject: RE: Cox Rhode Races Half Marathon
Sorry to hear that Aaron. Good on ya for trying to push through.

How about that national anthem???!!!
2008-05-04 5:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Las Vegas, NV
Live to fight another day...hopefully it is nothing too serious and you can get back out there and try again. In the meantime, better to not try to push it to the end. I think you did the right thing. Good luck with the next one.
2008-05-04 10:30 PM

User image

Master
Connecticut

Sorry to hear about your injury. What a bummer!

You were smart to pull up and get it checked out.  I hope it gets sorted out with minimum trouble.

2008-05-05 5:42 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Smart of you to not continue when you were having severe pain. I hope you get to the bottom of it and it improves quickly.

Nice pace there for the first part.

2008-05-05 7:49 AM

User image

Elite
The national anthem was funny, maybe she was just nervous? My leg felt better later in the day, but laying down is when it is most painful. Laying on my side or back, it feels like it is twisted. Calling the Dr shortly. Thanks everyone.

2008-05-05 8:13 AM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut

Aaron first of all Kudo's to you for trying to carry on despite the pain. Sometimes as you found out it is better to cut your losses and come back stronger.

I am going to offer some advice take it or leave it. Looking at your training over the last 4-5 months during the mentor group a couple of things stand out to me. You train with a lot of intensity and do some unusual workouts i.e. Cycle/Run/Cycle bricks etc. I am thinking you maybe training a little too hard and not allowing suifficent recovery. The other thing is have you had a bike fit lately? maybe your position has changed I was having some knee issues on the bike and got refitted which seemed to fix the issues.

Anyway I don't want to be critical just hoping you recover quickly and it doesn;t impact your training...

2008-05-07 7:50 AM

User image

Modesto, California
Sorry Aaron, Its tuff  to have to do what you did. You made the best decision under the circumstances, severe injuries take place beyond the point that you reached, good call ! You toed the line and gave it your best shot, sounds to me you achieved a great learning experience!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cox Rhode Races Half Marathon Rss Feed