Set-up Inc.
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 33m 59s
Overall Rank = 90/319F
Age Group = F40-44
Age Group Rank = 12/32
Pre-race routine:

I had packed my race bag and loaded my bike onto the car the night before. Race morning I woke up at 4:45, got dressed, and ate breakfast. Then we drove to White Lake. Once there, I picked up my race packet.
Event warmup:

My warm-up consisted of walking back and forth from the lake to the transition area. I walked to the lake to get my timing chip and get body marked. Then I walked back to the transition area to set up. Then I walked back to the lake to check to see how calm it was. My DH kept me company for all of this. Then my parents and sister arrived, so we walked to meet them (my parents had never seen me race in a triathlon before).
Swim
  • 19m 25s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

The first 50-100 meters were awful. I started out too fast and had trouble catching my breath (plus I was getting knocked around a bit). I actually asked myself why I was doing this and how I ever thought I could do IMFL in 2009. But then I slowed down and caught my breath. Once I found a good pace, I felt much better. On the upside, I never stopped swimming and I only did freestyle (never resorted to backstroke or breast). The only problem I had after the too fast start was sighting. I would be going along just fine and then I would look up and be off course and have to swim back. I did this twice! When I reached the ladder, I glanced at my watch and saw 18 minutes (we still had a fairly long run back to transition to do). I was a bit disappointed in my time. However, I think it would have been much better if I had sighted better and stayed on course.
What would you do differently?:

Not start out so fast. Work on sighting!
Transition 1
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

This transition went fairly smoothly. I had no trouble getting my wetsuit off. The only thing that slowed me down was the lady that was sitting down between the racks blocking my way!

Maybe learn to jump on the bike and have the shoes on the bike (instead of putting them on in the transition area and running in them).
Bike
  • 45m 48s
  • 14 miles
  • 18.34 mile/hr
Comments:

I was hoping to make up a little time on the bike, so I was pushing the pace as hard as I could. Most of the bike went fine. But there are a couple of miles of rough road on the course. That section would slow me down everytime (everytime I hit one of the cracks in the road, I thought my bike was going to fall apart)! I was able to pass a lot of people on the bike - so that made me feel better.

I was a little disappointed in my overall time, but considering how little quality biking I have done since my surgeries I think I did alright.

With my surgeries, tax season and then crash training for Boston - I don't think it is realistic to say I could have done anything different. I just didn't have time to work on my bike. But I know that I need to work on this for my next race.
Transition 2
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

This transition went alright. I had a little trouble running with my bike after I got off of it. My legs just didn't want to work right! Once I racked my bike, the rest went smoothly. I didn't wear socks and my running shoes had speed laces. So I just pulled off my bike shoes and slipped on my running shoes. I pulled off my helmet and put on my Nike cap. Grabbed my race number and took off.

Learn to jump off the bike and leave my shoes on the bike!
Run
  • 25m 6s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

It was hot by the time we started to run! I also think I had pushed too hard on the bike. My pace on the bike wasn't great, but it was harder than I should have been going considering my bike training the last few months. This really hurt my run. I also wish I had been wearing my Garmin. I had no idea how fast (or slow) I was running. It has been a long time since I have run a 5k and I just couldn't remember what 5k pace felt like (at least not with tired bike legs). I was going to use the mile markers to help me determine if I was on pace, but I missed the first one. By the time I saw the 2 mile marker, I knew I was running too slowly but it was too late to do much - so I just kept going. I had felt like I was running faster than I was (but that was probably due to the heat and my legs being tired from the bike). I did manage to pass 2 people in my age group on the run though (and several others).

Have a better idea of whether I am running the right pace or not!
Post race
Warm down:

After I crossed the finish line, I met up with my family. Then we walked around a bit. I got a bottle of water, a banana, and a couple of cheese crackers and walked around a little more.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough training for this event.

Last updated: 2008-01-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:19:25 | 820 yards | 02m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 15/32
Overall: 137/319F
Performance: Average
Suit: QR Hydrofull
Course: Rectangular course. Start at left pier and exit at the right pier.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:04
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:45:48 | 14 miles | 18.34 mile/hr
Age Group: 20/32
Overall: 119/319F
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: Two loops around White Lake
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:38
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:25:06 | 03.11 miles | 08m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/32
Overall: 66/319F
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back through a neighborhood by the lake.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-05-05 7:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Fayetteville, NC
Subject: White Lake Sprint Triathlon

2008-05-05 9:02 AM
in reply to: #1381542

User image

Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Gold member
Subject: RE: White Lake Sprint Triathlon
Nice race, glad you got the DNF monkey off your back for this race.
Sorry I missed you there, I looked but never did find you.
2008-05-05 9:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, South Carolina

All things considered, you did a great job with this race as your tri season opener!  I loved the thought you had at the beginning of the swim (Why am I doing this?  How will I ever be able to do...).  My thoughts exactly at the beginning of every race! 

Congrats!

2008-05-06 7:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Clayton/Raleigh, North Carolina
Wow, that was a heck of a bike for not having much bike training the past few months! Glad you were able to slow down and refocus the swim and have a successful swim! Great job!
2008-05-07 9:55 AM

User image

Expert
North Carolina
Even though your run was not where you wanted, it was still good for your age group!! I think you are like me and once we get some more bike fitness the run time will be better!! Good Race!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » White Lake Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed