United States
51F / 11C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 51m 16s
Overall Rank = 205/900
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 16/68
Pre-race routine:

Up early (4:30 am) to get ready, ate some toast with Jelly, a banana and drank plenty of water. Stretched a bit and loaded up the car and bike for Lisa. Parking was a mess but managed to get parked and settled in by 6:00 am. Plenty of time to get organized and make the start.
Run
  • 3h 51m 16s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Good pacing but the second half killed me. I felt really good for the first half and I was right on pace. Hit the second half strong but the hills took a lot out of me. Coming back towards town my legs started to really feel it...I pushed on but hit a strong headwind around mile 24ish. Made it through but it slowed me down a bit and I don't think I ever really recovered. The last mile was the longest, hardest thing I've ever done ;-(
What would you do differently?:

Train a bit more...I was well trained but a few more long runs would have really helped, I think. But for my first marathon and a hilly one at that, I'd say I did pretty well.
Post race
Warm down:

Short run around the track and some stretching

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training and experience...need to get my body used to the long multi-hour sessions...

Event comments:

Overall it was a well organized race. The expo was a joke and really small but the actual race was well organized. Also the community support was pretty great...a bit sparse at the start but by the end there were people everwhere handing out food, cheering, etc. I'd highly recommend this race but make sure to do some hard hill running while you train to make sure you are ready.

Last updated: 2008-05-05 12:00 AM
Running
03:51:16 | 26.2 miles | 08m 50s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/68
Overall: 205/900
Performance: Good
Course: Flat first half through town. Brutal second half heading out towards Spring Ridge.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes