of 2

2008-05-08 5:38 PM
in reply to: #1390870

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Would you...
Tri Take Me Away - 2008-05-08 5:06 PM

Well, sorry to be harsh but...if this happens to you all the time yet you still keep signing up for races and expect to do them, then you ARE setting yourself up for failure. Why do something over and over and expect different results?
Stick to short races close to home or stop doing races until things change in your life to make racing longer/farther away possible. Wishing for your life to fit your hobbies isn't going to make it come true.
Your question was "would you continue to train if you could not race?" and my answer is still yes.

Guess I should just give up the only thing that keeps me happy.  I do my best to plan for the races but its out of my control...hence..I give up.  Thing is I deserve better than this.  My career at this point is not worth never getting to go on vacation but unfortunately I need to make a living so I am a bit stuck.  If I don't have anything to look forward to in life whats the point of any of it? 

2008-05-08 5:51 PM
in reply to: #1391068

User image

Master
Colorado
sue7013 - 2008-05-08 6:38 PM

Well, sorry to be harsh but...if this happens to you all the time yet you still keep signing up for races and expect to do them, then you ARE setting yourself up for failure. Why do something over and over and expect different results?
Stick to short races close to home or stop doing races until things change in your life to make racing longer/farther away possible. Wishing for your life to fit your hobbies isn't going to make it come true.
Your question was "would you continue to train if you could not race?" and my answer is still yes.

Guess I should just give up the only thing that keeps me happy.  I do my best to plan for the races but its out of my control...hence..I give up.  Thing is I deserve better than this.  My career at this point is not worth never getting to go on vacation but unfortunately I need to make a living so I am a bit stuck.  If I don't have anything to look forward to in life whats the point of any of it? 

Yeah... this is a bit beyond training and racing then. I know your work situation is fairly involved and complicated, and it's not as easy as saying ' You should just quit, then', but until you can extract yourself from that situation, it might be that you need to adjust your expectations. If you are reasonably certain that scheduling will continue to screw you over, then instead of looking forward to races, look forward to daily training. Or whatever.

If you don't have anything to look forward to in your life, then it might be time to change your life.

2008-05-08 6:23 PM
in reply to: #1391068

User image

Elite
Hendersonville

Hmm...seems to me I said just the opposite..that you shouldn't give up what makes you happy. Just don't race. Is racing the only thing that makes you happy or does training make you happy too?
Of course, it goes without saying that if triathlon is the only thing in your life that makes you happy then you need to change things. You are the only common denominator in all the aspects of your life. If they are ALL going bad then maybe it's time to re-evaluate how you go about things.

Guess I should just give up the only thing that keeps me happy. I do my best to plan for the races but its out of my control...hence..I give up. Thing is I deserve better than this. My career at this point is not worth never getting to go on vacation but unfortunately I need to make a living so I am a bit stuck. If I don't have anything to look forward to in life whats the point of any of it?
2008-05-09 1:53 PM
in reply to: #1391142

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Tri Take Me Away - 2008-05-08 7:23 PM

Hmm...seems to me I said just the opposite..that you shouldn't give up what makes you happy. Just don't race. Is racing the only thing that makes you happy or does training make you happy too?
Of course, it goes without saying that if triathlon is the only thing in your life that makes you happy then you need to change things. You are the only common denominator in all the aspects of your life. If they are ALL going bad then maybe it's time to re-evaluate how you go about things.

Guess I should just give up the only thing that keeps me happy. I do my best to plan for the races but its out of my control...hence..I give up. Thing is I deserve better than this. My career at this point is not worth never getting to go on vacation but unfortunately I need to make a living so I am a bit stuck. If I don't have anything to look forward to in life whats the point of any of it?

Well here is the thing.  I can't eliminate work.....bills I need to pay etc.  Have looked into changing the situation and it isn't panning out.  I don't really want to move.  My current work situation is 95% not my doing.  I take responisibilty for being foolish enough to become partners with someone who turned out to be...well lets just say NOT NICE and left me high and dry.  I could not have predicted that he would just up and quit  however.  I take responosibilty for trusting my office manager who has gotten me into an extremely bad business deal which will effect me for years to come.  Because I no long have a partner I'm at the mercy of a hospital who is very much anti DR right now.  I don't know one physician on staff who is happy right now.  Unfortunately I have a time commitment to them and it will cost a great deal of money to up and leave or go off staff at this point.  Lets just say my finanial situation is really not good and I'm not in a position to do that.  When I signed up for these races I could not have predicted that 2 more drs in my specialty would come on staff and the hospital would completely re-do the call schedule thus putting me on ER call for the dates I was originally NOT on call  (ie the days of the races)  I did try to plan ahead for this stuff and I had it all worked out.  The whole thing just really sucks.  I can hope the other pods will be nice and switch call with me but thats it.

'The rest of my life sucks because of my work situation.  I reallylove doing surgery and sometimes the office can be rewarding but the business of doing medicine sucks.  I have made a lot of changes in my practice but its still quite stresful.  I don't want to stop being a dr.  I don't see a whole lot of point in doing IM training if I can't do an IM.  Its a lot of time and effort.  I can be fit doing a lot less and then I would have to time do things with other people.  I really really want to do IMFL.  And yes it is a sad commentary on my life that my best friends are cats and the only thing I have to look forward to is riding my bike. 

2008-05-09 2:03 PM
in reply to: #1388380

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
sue7013 - 2008-05-07 7:11 PM

Would you continue to train if you could not race?  I don't mean physically unable to race or not race do to an injury just could not race for non physical reasons?  I'm thinking whats the point?  I mean the fitness is good but why kill myself?  I could have decent fitness working a lot less than I do.

I would...but not as much. Oh heck no not as much.

Honestly, if I decided to not do tri's anymore, I would probably get into racewalking more... and cycling for fun (aka: just going out and riding with my cycling club because I want to, and riding however far I felt that day.)

I sure wouldn't get up at 5:30 AM to do ANY kind of workout.

I will say though, I'm not a huge fan of doing a lot of races. I hate getting up that early. I actually think this year will be nice, only doing 2 races.

I think in 2009 I'll just do a couple of HIM's spaced out a few months apart and make that my season.
2008-05-10 11:04 PM
in reply to: #1388380

User image

Master
Kingston Ontario

Losing a race for any reason is a total off.  I have missed quite a few due to illness and injury, which are out of my control.  This has happened enough that I have made peace with the fact that I can't control my health.   I keep going with the race plans anyways because I really enjoy the training structure, the motivation and social stuff when I'm well.  I can't imagine not doing it.  This is the main reason that I don't do IM, though because there is a high risk with me that I wouldn't make it....that would be too hard to deal with.  So I stick to shorter distances for now.  For me it's a challenge to get to the freaking start line each time!

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Would you... Rss Feed  

of 2