of 3

2008-09-10 4:20 PM
in reply to: #1388554

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
Subject: RE: Silverman - Full Ironman

Molly,

The supported ride is as far as you get in 2 hours, then turn around. Next one is October 5th. Last weekends supported ride was a blast. Happy training.

2008-09-11 9:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Las Vegas, NV
I was out there for the supported ride...went about 60 miles in 3 hours or so...look for me next time...Trek Madone ridden by a chick with long blonde hair...I'll be the one getting my a*& handed to me
2008-09-13 12:41 PM
in reply to: #1669270

New user

I would love to get out there for the next ride but not sure it will happen. I am a little concerned about my pacing on the bike course and I am surely not looking to blow my run by going too hard on the bike. For comparison I was looking for someone who has done the race and mabe what they do on an avg half iron bike course and then their Silverman bike time. My last two half iron bikes have been 2:33 and 2:28. Both a little hilly but fair.

Rover
2008-09-23 3:17 PM

User image

Mesa
Chris McCormack has once again committed to race the Nevada Silverman half – tri on the weekend of November 9, 2008.

and... I will most likely be at the next Pre-Ride
2008-09-28 4:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Las Vegas, NV
Is anyone else doing Frank's ride on 10/5? If so, I was planning to attempt the entire HIM bike course that weekend. Let me know if you're in...
2008-09-28 5:32 PM

User image

Mesa
I'll be there but will be riding to the full turn around and back.

To do the exact course, you are going to need to have to get a ride to the lake from Henderson or a ride from Henderson back to the lake.

2008-09-28 7:28 PM
in reply to: #1701989

User image

Sensei
Sin City

chile7473 - 2008-09-28 3:32 PM I'll be there but will be riding to the full turn around and back. To do the exact course, you are going to need to have to get a ride to the lake from Henderson or a ride from Henderson back to the lake.

I could be talked into that!  My plan has a 5:30 long ride that Sun, but I could do it Sat.  I was thinking about getting out there to do the long course turn around and back from the swim location or Boulder Beach.  Not sure how fast you go, but I could try to keep up.

Not sure how far that is, but it should be about 5-6 hours I'm guessing.

BTW, do we need to sign up for it?

2008-09-29 11:06 AM

User image

Mesa
You just show up and ride to do the pre-ride.

You can throw anything you want carried in Frank's vehicle. He will have water so all I did last year was bring some powder and some energy gels.

It is 107 miles if you ride to the turn around and back. Last year only a few of us went all the way to the turn around.

I just picked this up on Friday.
2008-10-01 11:02 AM
in reply to: #1703226

User image

Sensei
Sin City

chile7473 - 2008-09-29 9:06 AM You just show up and ride to do the pre-ride. You can throw anything you want carried in Frank's vehicle. He will have water so all I did last year was bring some powder and some energy gels. It is 107 miles if you ride to the turn around and back. Last year only a few of us went all the way to the turn around. I just picked this up on Friday.

Nice bike!

I had my days mixed up.  Can't make the group ride.  Need to stick to the west side of town on Sat.

Have a good ride people...

2008-10-01 11:22 AM

User image

Mesa
The pre-ride is on Sunday.

---------------
Don't Miss the Silverman 2008 Supported Rides Sponsored by the Las Vegas Triathlon Club

Don’t miss the upcoming supported rides brought to you by the Nevada Silverman Triathlon and the Las Vegas Triathlon Club. Come out for a great opportunity to train with other athletes and get yourself prepared for the relentless hills that make up the Silverman bike course. If you are interested in attending please meet at Hemingway Harbor at 6am. Make sure that you bring whatever nutrition you’ll be using during the race and anything you’ll need to refuel after the ride. We will provide all the water and bike tools and we’ll haul any special treats or additional fluids/food that you would like to bring in the support vehicle. Please check out the Silverman Web site at www.silvermannv.com (forum) for additional details.

Supported Ride Dates:
Sunday, September 7
Sunday, October 5

Edited by chile7473 2008-10-01 11:22 AM
2008-10-01 1:18 PM
in reply to: #1708863

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I know - got Sunday plans Frown...

Need to get some more hills in on Sat.  Want to go?  You can do two long rides!!!!

Have fun...

BTW - are those the Xlab wheels.  I know I have seen them before on line...

Edited by Aikidoman 2008-10-01 1:18 PM

2008-10-01 1:31 PM
in reply to: #1709234

User image

Mesa
Yep, Xlab wheels. They actually are not making them anymore. They are only making their 50mm rim w/spokes wheels and a solid disc. Have you seen that they have a 4 Spoke Version of the wheels out there for the clydes?

I'll be driving up on Saturday. Going to show a guy from my tri club the run course and probably do a OWS @ Lake Mead.

We are going to camp out at Mead and then get right up for the pre-ride.
2008-10-05 9:56 PM

User image

Mesa
I don't know if any of you are members of the Las Vegas Triathlon Club but I must say that I am very unimpressed with the club because they bailed on and did not support the Silverman Pre-Ride as they said they would.

They said that they would be at 20 miles and then would be at 30 miles and would be there supporting the ride for 5 hours. They mentioned that everyone should turn around at 2 1/2 hours and so we did. We only saw them at the 20 mile marker when it really wasn't needed and then they were gone and we never saw them again. They took off with the supplies that we left with them never showing face after the 20 mile marker and they weren't at either marker on the return trip either. Had to do 93 miles on 3 bottles.

I ended up making it ok and paced drinking my last bottle when it seemed like they had bailed. There were some other riders out there that were hurting and really really needed to get fluids, etc.

Last year Frank (the RD) ran the pre-ride and it was 1st class. So BOO on LV Tri Club. Not happy with them.

Edited by chile7473 2008-10-05 9:57 PM
2008-10-06 6:46 PM
in reply to: #1719885

User image

Sensei
Sin City

chile7473 - 2008-10-05 7:56 PM I don't know if any of you are members of the Las Vegas Triathlon Club but I must say that I am very unimpressed with the club because they bailed on and did not support the Silverman Pre-Ride as they said they would. They said that they would be at 20 miles and then would be at 30 miles and would be there supporting the ride for 5 hours. They mentioned that everyone should turn around at 2 1/2 hours and so we did. We only saw them at the 20 mile marker when it really wasn't needed and then they were gone and we never saw them again. They took off with the supplies that we left with them never showing face after the 20 mile marker and they weren't at either marker on the return trip either. Had to do 93 miles on 3 bottles. I ended up making it ok and paced drinking my last bottle when it seemed like they had bailed. There were some other riders out there that were hurting and really really needed to get fluids, etc. Last year Frank (the RD) ran the pre-ride and it was 1st class. So BOO on LV Tri Club. Not happy with them.

That freaking SUCKS!  You need support out there.  I did 80+ miles on Sat out there, and almost died without support...  (an exageration).  But I can see where people could be hurting...  That is borderline dangerous....

2008-10-23 9:17 PM

Veteran
Vienna, Austria (temporarily)
Hi all,

The Silverman will be my first ironman distance race. I did the 5430 long course in Boulder this summer. I was wondering if any of you have done both the 5430 long course and the full Silverman in the past and how your times compared? I am trying to get an idea of approximately how long the Silverman will take. Thanks!
2008-10-23 10:06 PM
in reply to: #1762978

User image

Mesa
billgeist - 2008-10-23 7:17 PM

Hi all,

The Silverman will be my first ironman distance race. I did the 5430 long course in Boulder this summer. I was wondering if any of you have done both the 5430 long course and the full Silverman in the past and how your times compared? I am trying to get an idea of approximately how long the Silverman will take. Thanks!

Hey Bill,
I have done the Silverman Full but have not done the 5430. However it appears that you are from Los Alamos. I grew up there.

The bike will probably take 45 minutes to an hour longer than you might normally do a iron distance ride in. It is all according to how you deal with hills. Since you are from Los Alamos, I am sure you are very well rehearsed at hill riding.

2008-10-27 7:58 PM
in reply to: #1763117

Veteran
Vienna, Austria (temporarily)
chile7473 - 2008-10-23 9:06 PM

Hey Bill,
I have done the Silverman Full but have not done the 5430. However it appears that you are from Los Alamos. I grew up there.

The bike will probably take 45 minutes to an hour longer than you might normally do a iron distance ride in. It is all according to how you deal with hills. Since you are from Los Alamos, I am sure you are very well rehearsed at hill riding.

Thanks for the info. I have gotten used to the hills here in Los Alamos. Do you know what the road surface is like? I am hoping that it is not the chip seal stuff that they use around here. Thanks!
2008-10-27 8:30 PM
in reply to: #1769221

User image

Mesa
billgeist - 2008-10-27 5:58 PM

chile7473 - 2008-10-23 9:06 PM

Hey Bill,

Thanks for the info. I have gotten used to the hills here in Los Alamos. Do you know what the road surface is like? I am hoping that it is not the chip seal stuff that they use around here. Thanks!

The roads are super smooth for about first 37 miles of the bike course. At about mile 37 to the turn around at 53 it is rough in spots but manageable. There are some spots in there that will launch water bottles from behind the seat drink holders. So there is about 32 miles of not as nice road. Once you get back on the super smooth road you'll feel spoiled by the road again. The bike path is nice as well and then the roads in Henderson are in fine condition too.

I would equate the rougher part of the road to riding the back gate in Los Alamos from the lab down past Bandelier to White Rock.
2008-10-28 9:04 PM
in reply to: #1769318

User image

Sensei
Sin City

FYI - they have published the race schedule and weekly activities schedule...

Let me know if anyone want to meet up.  Maybe sit together for the dinner or awards breakfast...

2008-10-31 6:15 PM

User image

Mesa
If the weather report holds up it will be nice. I don't trust the weather report though.
2008-10-31 6:16 PM
in reply to: #1772037

User image

Mesa
Aikidoman - 2008-10-28 7:04 PM

FYI - they have published the race schedule and weekly activities schedule...

Let me know if anyone want to meet up.  Maybe sit together for the dinner or awards breakfast...

I am riding with a friend up to the race so I'll be pretty much at the mercy of the driver. I will be up there Friday until the awards ceremony.

2008-11-02 7:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Las Vegas, NV
Good luck everyone...1 week to go...the signs are up around Henderson stating "Silverman Event Coming 11/9/08...Expect Delays"

IT'S VERY EXCITING
2008-11-03 10:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Las Vegas

Hey gang....  Have not forgot about ya..  Well I have not posted since crying about my hamstring..  on top of the torn hammy, I ended up with a torn meniscus as well..  Doc told me that I did not tear it "enough" in order for him to fix it.  Just need some rest and rest and more rest...  Needless to say, I will come and join ya at the dinner and be helping out Frank with volunteer duties..

If anyone needs a kick in the after the swim or during the run, let me know your bib number and I will do my best to help ya along..  See you guys next week....

jeff

2008-11-03 11:41 AM
in reply to: #1783259

User image

Mesa
lasvegas99 - 2008-11-03 8:28 AM

Hey gang....  Have not forgot about ya..  Well I have not posted since crying about my hamstring..  on top of the torn hammy, I ended up with a torn meniscus as well..  Doc told me that I did not tear it "enough" in order for him to fix it.  Just need some rest and rest and more rest...  Needless to say, I will come and join ya at the dinner and be helping out Frank with volunteer duties..

If anyone needs a kick in the after the swim or during the run, let me know your bib number and I will do my best to help ya along..  See you guys next week....

jeff

I need a pull during the swim!
2008-11-03 3:41 PM
in reply to: #1783558

User image

Sensei
Sin City

Weather still look good!  Sunny and pleasent with a high of 72.  Lets hope for minimal/no wind, and all will be well!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Silverman - Full Ironman Rss Feed  

of 3