runners choice
11C / 52F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 42m 34s
Overall Rank = 68/495
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/13
Pre-race routine:

got up at 5:20am had a shower and made 2 packets of instant oatmeal and had a coffee, got all my stuff ready and headed to the race just after 7am
Event warmup:

got to the race site at about 7:15 and just walked around for awhile, waited for my buddy to show up then hit the bathroom for one last pee. went for a slow easy jog with my buddy to warm-up then put my stuff in my car and did another slow walk/jog then some stretching right before race time (8am) I lined up about half way up and my buddy lined up at the back (his goal was 2:30)
Run
  • 1h 42m 34s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 04m 52s  min/km
Comments:

my goal was 1:45 but I woulda been happy with anything under 1:50 so I knew to get 1:45 i'd have to avg a 4:59/km pace. I wanted to start out a little slow and see how I was feeling then pick it up around the 1/2 way mark but ended up go out a little fast and stayed at or below goal pace for the first 10k, then picked it up a bit for the rest of the race. I looked down a few times and saw that I was going 4:30/4:40 pace and had to slow down a bit. Very happy that I got my garmin in time for the race because it helped me tremendously with my paces. At the 18k mark I decided I'd pick it up a bit and just kept going with it, the last 1k I was almost running at my 5k pace somehow, and I just dug down and finished hard.
What would you do differently?:

I was very happy with my consistent training up untill a few weeks before the race when I got a new job and worked longer days and was more tired then usual and I didn't have the energy to train as well as I would have liked, but that's life right. Other then that I was very happy with my run and actually quite suprised I was able to maintain better then my goal pace the whole way. The week leading up to the race I was starting to rethink my goal time since it was about 20+ minutes faster then my best training run.
Post race
Warm down:

got my water and all the free food and just walked around the park for a while to cool down ate a bunch of food drank a bunch of water then walked around some more while waiting for my buddy to finish. Signed up for a free massage and did some stretches. Watched the full marathon top finsisher which was cool (2:25). Then my buddy came through. Walked around again untill it was my turn for a massage. It was my first massage and I thought it would just be a basic 5min massage since it was free but it lasted about 20-30mins and felt soooo good.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

genetics and just starting running about a year ago.

Event comments:

I forgot to mention that they had a stage set up for awards and stuff, and while they weren't giving out awards they had a RUSH cover band!!!!!! which is one of my fav bands so that was wicked awesome. AND....As I was sitting by the stage eating my hamburger watching the awards I was suprised to hear them call out my name for 2nd in my age group!!!! (25-29)and got a sweet New Balance gym bag.

Last updated: 2008-03-09 12:00 AM
Running
01:42:34 | 21.1 kms | 04m 52s  min/km
Age Group: 2/13
Overall: 68/495
Performance: Good
not sure how to transfer my lap paces from my garmin to here since I can't copy and past the info (does anyone know how?)
Course: course was down public roads that were blocked off, through the university, through paved trails, back onto roads. It was fairly flat rolling course with a couple hills. cops and volunteers did a great job of stopping traffic and keeping everyone on the right course even though it was marked out perfectly.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-05-11 2:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Forest City Road Race

2008-05-11 4:56 PM
in reply to: #1395004

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Forest City Road Race
That is a fast first 1/2 marathon. Good job!!
2008-05-11 6:21 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
You were flying for that half!!  Awesome pace!  Congrats on the hardware!
2008-05-11 7:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thank you very much, you guys rock!
2008-05-13 8:41 AM

User image

Master
Olney, MD