Gulf Coast Triathlon
1000F / 538C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 20m 40s
Overall Rank = 834/
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 78/125
Pre-race routine:

Consisted of getting up early enough so that I felt like the race was on Friday. Packed our gear and headed toward the cars. We had about a 25+ min. drive from Watercolor in two vehicles. I had a banana and some yogurt prior to leaving the house. In retrospect, I should've eaten the PBJ I had w/ me once I got to the race site, but, frankly I forgot.
Event warmup:

Sweating in transition and walking to the beach listening to everyone bitch about the waves.
Swim
  • 42m 43s
  • 2078 yards
  • 02m 04s / 100 yards
Comments:

Yeah, I love this RR template, 'catch waves?', only in the face and mouth! This was now historically, my hardest swim conditions ever. I am proud to say that I swam the same time in Macon last year on a calm lake so my swimming is getting better since this one was done on the North Sea in the middle of winter. I had to laugh at this guy who in the first 200m yelled at me about watching where I was going, etc. I started to chuckle, dude is in the wrong sport! Other than that it was the usual swim hi-jinx.
What would you do differently?:

I do wish I beared down just a little bit more in the home stretch. Might've gone sub 40. But that's ok.
Transition 1
  • 06m 5s
Comments:

When I emerged from the water I was feeling a bit dizzy. I forgot to wear my new ear plugs to help with this. My HR went up immediately when I left the water so I decided to take my time and walk up from the beach. In hindsight, I probably could've jogged a little bit. This was a pokey T1 for me. I had to sit down to remove my suit (typical) and when I went to exit the transition area I felt a little bit disoriented.

Wear ear plugs. Jog into transition once I hit level ground.
Bike
  • 2h 53m 49s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.33 mile/hr
Comments:

My bike was my greatest disappointment. For a couple of reasons: first, my FT has increased substantially since IM WI last Sept. I've gained 27 watts. So I really thought I was going to kill the bike. Second, my new Scott Plasma LTD was a lot faster than my road bike. And third, strength plus my bigger frame equals a better profile in FL. No climbing, always pumping, etc. Well, I can't say I had a bad ride, just thought it was faster. Now, I didn't have a speedo on my ride and that might've helped me push a little harder. Everyone is Jonny Lightning with the wind, but on the way back into it I was passing lots of racers. Saw Rivi. He passed me with about 12 miles to go and I passed him back with about 5 to go.

Firstly, I need new sunglasses. My Nikes are toast and I spent most of the time shoving them up my face. I also need more strength training prior to the race. Not so much interval training. Also, need to ride a little faster at times for longer periods to continue to build my aero position muscles. My right hip flexor and glute were very sore. I also was way over my HR speed limit riding in the 160's. I new I would pay for that later. Read on....
Transition 2
  • 02m 41s
Comments:

Since my tri shoes had not arrived by race day I was forced to wear road shoes. So, no getting out of my shoes prior to dismount. Now I love my road shoes. But, they are slower in transition. Otherwise no complaints there. I also took a little extra time with the running shoes. Wanted to make sure I was comfortable with what I knew was going to be a long run.

Wear tri shoes. I'm usually much faster in T2 than this performance.
Run
  • 2h 35m 33s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

I've run this course a couple of times for training purposes but never through the park. What is the deal there? It's like the freaking twilight zone. I never thought I was going to get out of there. I looked around for Rod Serling in that cool grey suit asking me about time and space. I was however still looking good for breaking 6 hours and a PR. Although it would be tight. I ran into Deb at mile 5ish and we were getting filmed. Apparently that made it into the movie that night. I also saw many friends including ATL_Runner and Steamy who were both heading in the a better direction than me, back to the finish line that is. At mile 9 the show was over. I was paying for the past sins of busting the speed limit on my HR. Both calves started to lock up. They had had enough. So, I started increasing my fluids and adding gatorade to the mix. The genie was out of the bottle though and all I wanted to do was continue to run more than walk and finish. I had started running 5/1's and by now was probably running about as much as walking. Down toward the finish line I saw some ATL folks partying under a tent and that was cool. The fan support in and around the finish area and out on the run was surprisingly good. I did muster longer intervals in the last 1.5 miles or so and went over the line in a jog.

Watch my HR on the bike. More bike training will eliminate my bad run here.
Post race
Warm down:

Get a very warm bottle of water from a volunteer and head back up the road to watch for other finishers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Exceeding my LT for too long.

Event comments:

Overall I would say I wanted to do better than this. I am not a real fan of the course but the volunteers and the race organization do a good job. That's not to say that the course or race was the reason for my mediocre performance. I would say an inadequate amount of race prep workouts and about 10 - 15 lbs were also contributing factors. I will need to deal with both for a successful IM FL in the fall in the same 'hood. Not sure if I would do this one again. It is convenient and a lot of friends and training pals attend which make for a great weekend. Maybe next time I'll skip the race and go right to the social component instead!

Last updated: 2007-11-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:43 | 2078 yards | 02m 04s / 100yards
Age Group: 80/125
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit: QR full wetsuit
Course: Rectangle perpendicular to the beach. 900m out, 200 across, 900m in.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: High
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Below average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 06:05
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:53:49 | 56 miles | 19.33 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Wacky, boring, giant lollipop ride on some of the most uninteresting roads in FL.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:41
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
02:35:33 | 13.1 miles | 11m 52s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: Let's see...which is worse, the bike or the run course? It's a tie!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-05-13 4:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Gulf Coast Triathlon

2008-05-14 9:45 AM
in reply to: #1400361

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA
Subject: RE: Gulf Coast Triathlon

I like your plan for next year - skip the race and enjoy the party - that's my idea too! You did a great job out there, you ran more than you walked on that miserable run course, which is WAY more than I can say. You and Deb were both very positive when I talked to you after the race.

Congrats on a great finish and for being a bit of a star in the race video!

2008-05-14 3:25 PM
in reply to: #1400361

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: RE: Gulf Coast Triathlon
Loved it when I passed by you guys and Deb yelled out.. "Drink the broth!" .. I needed the broth too, but this time with ice cubes in it. Congrats on a good race. It was weird conditions, that's for sure.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gulf Coast Triathlon Rss Feed