General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Title 9 Women Only Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2008-08-25 1:00 PM
in reply to: #1410522

User image

Subject: RE: Title 9 Women Only Triathlon
So excited for the race!!  My friend and I have been training all summer and this is our first tri.  It's also the first of three races for us in September.  We're from the cape area so we'll be staying at a hotel near by.  Anyway, I'm nervous and excited.... can't wait to meet everyone and officially become a triathlete!

2008-08-25 7:28 PM
in reply to: #1626106

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-08-26 12:07 PM

Hey acvaut!!!!  I'm from the Cape too!!! Have you done the course yet?  I may do it this weekend...not sure yet!
2008-08-26 12:12 PM

Uxbridge
I swam in Hopkinton this am. The water /air were a little chilly. I stayed within the bouys as I think I have pissed off the guards enough this season). I swam in the upper lake because the bouys are farther apart and the water is colder there. I won't be around this weekend but have fun out there ladies...se ya at the race its gonna be FUN!!!!
2008-08-26 12:20 PM

Beantown

I plan to go to Hopkinton Saturday morning - Sunday I'm hoping to see MAV swim her ironman leg in Plymouth and then jump in the ocean somewhere near by... (i gotta say that the 7am start scares me - this tri stuff may turn me into a 'morning person'!!)

If anyone wants to meet up Saturday @ 8am let me know, i may do a bike/run because I'm racking up the swim yards this week closer to home 

2008-08-26 3:13 PM

New user

Yay Sasha (aka acvaut)! Good job swimming this weekend. At least during the race we won't have to worry about the water-aerobic hens!

Unfortunately I won't be able to see the course before the race unless I check it out during the pre-race meeting...if that's even possible. Is anyone else going to that pre-race meeting? Maybe we could meet up. Sasha, are you going after work? I just planned on meeting you there...

2008-08-27 10:20 AM

Hi Ladies-

Sorry to say I will have to miss out on the Hopkinton fun this weekend- and Mav's leg of the ironman. I'll be out camping for the long weekend =) Quick question- got the email today about newbie v. age group registration. Are you registered as newbies?

Have a great last few workouts and I'll see you soon!

Svea.

2008-08-27 10:43 AM

Beantown

I got that email, too -

I think I'm going to stay in the Newbie Category because I'm considering it a once in a lifetime thing.... By my next race I'll be a pro and I'll crush the competition in my age group!

I am curious to hear what the rest of you guys think though!! 

2008-08-27 11:20 AM

I unfortunately won't get to see the course until the day before or the morning of... but I guess that adds a little excitement to it.

I got that email too and am sticking with the Newbie category.  It's the only year I can do that and I'm proud to be a Newbie.  I'd rather be compared to the people making the same rookie mistakes I am instead of the people who have done a few of these races. 

Is anyone else getting really excited?

2008-08-28 7:53 AM

Beantown

Anyone going to Walden tonight for the clinic??

I'll be leaving from Downtown Boston if anyone wants to carpool.

2008-08-28 10:39 AM

I'm going!!!  I'm totally nervous...and its not even the real thing!  Haha I'm gonna be a wreck next weekend!!

I'll be wearing  black swim suit with hot pink flowers.  Acvuat (sasha) said she'll be there in a gray and pink Orca tri suit.  I hope we can all find eachother!!!  And I hope I don't have an OWS freakout!!!  ::deep breaths deep breaths::

Oh, and I'm sticking with the newbie category since I'm planning on using every last excuse I can hehe j/k

Edited by LITTLEWING21 2008-08-28 10:42 AM

2008-08-28 1:00 PM

My target is for next year.  I am still working on swimming.  You all look like strong athletes.  Did any of you start with no swimming experience?  P.S.  I am going to go out there  next week and cheer you on..

Monica

2008-08-28 1:06 PM

Beantown

Monica - you made me laugh out loud..... swim experience?? - HA! I got in the pool at my gym for the first time at the end of June!!  Get with a coach and get solid lessons  - read and do everything the coaches on this site describe and you'll be a super star by the season opener next year!

If you've never been to a tri before, you are going to love it and wish you had brought your bike and goggles  

2008-08-28 1:43 PM

Uxbridge
Monica... I never swam until 2 years ago, after I quit smoking...this weekend I am swimming in a 2.4 mile ocean race. If I can do it, anyone can!!!!! Join us, its SOOO MUCH FUN. Red Sox Chick, Kroner and Svea are all first timers that have worked on swimming and are now doing GREAT!!!!!!
2008-08-28 8:55 PM

So great to meet you ladies tonight! LITTLEWING21, RedSoxChick, Mav and Kroner. Great time and great lessons. We'll have to figure out where to meet at the race. If anyone is interested in working on that one hill the day before the race, let me know. I don't want to do the whole course, but those tales today made me think i should really check that hill out.

Oh and Monica, you can definitely do it.  Just get yourself in that pool and swim swim swim!!  Some of us are confident swimmers and we tie noodles to us just in case.  more for open water, but get a good coach and you'll be in perfect shape for it in no time.  And trust me, there are so many shapes and sizes at these races who redefine athlete all the time.  Smile

Edited by acvaut 2008-08-28 8:59 PM
2008-08-28 9:07 PM

Uxbridge
Sorry I didnt get to chat longer with everyone today but I needed to get the distance in before dark! Good job on OWS...you all will ROCK!!!

I wouldnt advise trying to do hill work the day before the race. You really should rest and relax to be in the best possible shape for the race. Eat well and drink lots of fluids(non alcoholic ...Lisa) You will BE FINE on the hills...if you cant do it, walk...PEOPLE HAVE BEEN KNOWN TO DO THIS(I am sure some women will walk) . There is no fitness to be gained the day before the race.

Is anyone interested in getting together after the race??? Post race picnic ...bring your own..bring your family??? Its a nice picnic area...a little BT fun???

2008-08-29 12:58 AM

New user

Geez, reading all of your comments make me wish I had made it to the swim clinic. I wish I could've but I had work tonight =( and I'll have work the day before the race until about 11pm, so looks like seeing the course will happen on race day! And I thought I didn't like suprises...

I think I'm most freaked out about getting in the water with a bunch of people kicking, which is why I signed up as a newbie. How many waves are there going to be with newbies?

2008-08-29 6:34 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-08-29 8:39 AM

That's great you all got to do the clinic- glad it went well. I will be heading to Walden this afternoon for a little practice tri.

I am definitely interested in an after-race picnic. Will they be providing food for us or, Mav, are you thinking we should all bring our own? What are the rules about alcohol in the park... ha! Nothing like a cold beer after a hard workout Smile

2008-08-29 8:53 AM

ps... I just started really thinking about the fact that there might be 800 people and i got really nervous!!
2008-08-29 9:29 AM

Beantown

Tim from Max said 700 people and i wouldn't be scared by that number - it'll be sooo spread out you'll never feel it.

I'd love to have a snack (and a drink after) I'll have to shoot back into town around noon to kick off the Pats season, too though - NO REST FOR THE WEARY  or is it the wicked?? Wink

2008-08-29 10:19 AM

Wow so many messages!!  I love it!! 

Monica: While technique w/swimming is very important, I think for these sprint distances, comfort in the water is what really matters.  I've actually never taken lessons....but I love to swim so I think it sorta even things out a bit.  So just jump in a splash around while its still warm!! Hehehe  You will wanna join in when you watch, I wanted to a couple months ago at the Hyannis Tri!!

It was so great meeting everyone!  We should totally do a picnic.  BYOF?  Sounds great!! 

Sasha: I agree with Mav.  I wouldnt do ANY hills the day before.  You want fresh legs!!  They'll feel so much lighter and ready to take on the hill if ya rest before.  "The hill" really ISN'T that bad.  I'm not that great on hills cuz the Cape is so flat, but it was doable for me.  Not fast, but doable!!! Haha  And if by chance you have to walk part of it, I'm guessing it would be the last 20 ft which would take NO time at all.  Do NOT worry bout it (trust me, I worry about everything!!!!!) haha

Nikki: We missed ya there!  Don't worry though, I don't think there was too much tangible stuff ya missed.  I was VERY worried about the swim because I heard horror stories but it really isn't bad at all.  Stay way to the left...I didnt have anyone even near me!  I also didn't through my head in the water right away.  Kinda gave me a chance to find my place.  We'll be in the same wave most likely, itll be fun!!!

Shannon:  Do you take 2 puffs before you start?  Thats what I plan on doing.  I think the nervousness def makes it harder.  I have Raynauds and it was totally acting up before the swim last nt (fingers turning white) cuz of nerves.

Ya, 700 is totally intimidating but I think Lisa's right.....everyones gonna be spread.  The waves will be more than the clinic, but since the distance is longer, people will spread out even more.

I'm SOOOOOOO excited this is gonna be sooo much fun!!!!!!!!!!

2008-08-30 10:41 PM

Hey Ladies,

Ya, I think you're right.  No hill work.  Niki and I ride some nice hills twice a week so i'm thinking I'll be ok.  I even rode a really rough one today on a mountain bike (even harder!!) and didn't get off.  I'm feeling ready for hills, I just like to know them before I get on them.  But because everyone was describing the hill and that last little bit that's just killer, I should be ok.  And it's all down hill from there, right?  Thanks for the advice.

I wonder if they'll have one or two newbie waves?  It's going to be an interesting  to see how they organize it... I'm excited for the info this week.

I can't believe the race is a week from tomorrow! WOW!!

How many of you are also doing the Buzzards Bay tri? I am!

2008-09-01 3:23 PM

Beantown

Hello Girls!!

S- I'm so glad you aren't going to do the hill.  I went back out after we met and the hill was fine.  I was a little 'banged-up' the last time I was there.  you'll be FINE! no worries.

I plan to do Buzzards Bay - as long as I can get over my sea sickness!  I tried to swim in Plymouth while watching the Iron Man Distance (in which MAV and KathyG did AWESOME btw).  Has anyone had motion-sickness while swimming?  I'm a little to embarrassed to post it out on the national forum :/

anyway - get lots of rest girls and i can't wait to see us all together!!

2008-09-01 5:21 PM

New user

Wow, I have alot of catching up to do on these posts! I can't wait for race day! I'm so excited, but I'm starting to get a little more nervous than I expected. I'm a little bummed that my wetsuit won't get to me in time for the race, but I'll just suck it up and deal with it anyways. Oh well. I was getting a little worried about trying to peel that thing off anyways!

I'm definately in on Buzzard's Bay. And YES! I'm totally nervous about getting sea-sick. I've never been real swimming in the ocean, but I do get very bad cases of motion sickness in cars, on boats, airplanes, etc.

And I'm always good for a post-race hangout if others are in. I would love to meet all of you that I missed from the swim clinic. Is anyone going to the pre-race meeting on Wednesday night? Sasha & I will be there with bells on =P

Edited by triniki 2008-09-01 5:22 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Title 9 Women Only Triathlon Rss Feed  

of 6