United States
Colorado Colfax Marathon
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 44m 48s
Overall Rank = 182/1964
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 19/334
Pre-race routine:

Woke up suuuper early and had two pieces of toast with peanut butter & agave nectar. Slugged down some coffee and hit the road.

Parked about a mile away from the starting line and jogged from there to the start. Scott was riding along side on his bike. We had done a longish ride the day before (55 miles) so I needed to get blood moving in my legs and stretch out really well.

Got there with only 10 minutes to go before the gun went off. Made a quick porta-potty stop (phew!) and then jumped the fence into the corral.
Event warmup:

the jog from the car and stretching in the corral. I had 3 shot blocks right before the gun went off.
Run
  • 1h 44m 48s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m  min/mile
Comments:

So this race wasn't exactly an A race for me. I had kind of resigned myself to not PRing b/c my last PR was in the middle of marathon training when my run volume was much higher and I had gotten a few 15+ mile training runs under my belt. My longest run this year was 10 miles before this race. I assumed I wouldn't be able to pull off a sub 1:45. So I had just said "I'll be happy with a 1:50."

On the way to the race I told Scott, "I just want to not be a pussy when it gets tough." In races, I ALWAYS let up when it starts to hurt towards the end. Going slower doesn't really change the fact that it hurts, yet I sitll always go slower. If I can just get past being such a wimp and suck it up and run hard through the finish, I know that all my racing will improve. So my goal was to just not be a puss.

The first mile was crowded and I just tried to get into the flow without bobbing and weaving around people. Wish I had been closer to the front of the pack for the start.... had to pass a lot of people in the first half mile! Some women were WALKING. Hellooo if you're going to WALK, get your ass in the BACK of the corral. No racing couth whatsoever. Do you see all these runners that have to run around you? Get a clue!!!

Was holding a pace right under 8 min/mile and that felt really good so I stuck with it.

Once we left City Park we were on Colfax and it was nice and uncrowded. The temp was pretty great (could have been a little cooler but I was comfortable). There were hardly any spectators because the race started so friggin early. Bummer.

So everything was just dandy and I focused on steady breathing and an even pace. Didn't want to rubberband at all.

At the turn around I made up my mind to stick with the pace so that I could try to PR. If I didn't get too much slower, it was in the bag. Sp this was a relatively easy thing to do until the end of mile 10. My legs felt like logs. Probably becuase I haven't run further than 10 ALL YEAR. It took a lot more effort to keep myself going. But this is where I said "DO NOT BE A PUSSY!" I really wanted to walk. I had this internal debate going about walking versus suffering through it. And while I did have my pace drop off by quite a bit, I was working hard and really trying to gut it out.

I allowed myelf to walk through one water station at mile 11, and then went as fast as I could without blowing up. It hurt. I was telling myself the whole time "think of how good it will feel to PR! you can do it! you didn't evne think you'd be able to! just hold on for another couple of miles and you'll be done! what's a couple more miles at this pace? it's nothing!"

so lots of self talk and heavy leg dragging, and finally I'm upon the final mile. people were passing me and that felt shitty but I really couldn't have gone faster if I wanted. Scott was there on his bike around 12.8 and was trying to be encouraging and cheering and riding alongside me, and I just grunted at him: "get awaaaayyyy from me. just GET AWAY" hahaha.

FINALLY finished and once I stopped running my hips were aching and my legs were dead weight. but I was SO HAPPY that I wasn't a pussy and that I had a new PR, even if it was only 4 seconds.

7:59 - okay, not too shabby, feels good
7:50 - settling in
7:52 - cruising, feeling dandy
7:51 - life is good
7:48 - guy farted really loud next to me
8:02 - bit of a long small incline
7:59 - this is fine, not worried about it
7:41 - downhill
7:52 - gravy
7:53 - gravy
8:26 - UGHHHH
8:12 - trying to get back on track
7:55 - much harder than you'd think
1:26 - DONE. this was .2 miles.... I bobbed and weaved more than I thought at the beginning of the race and had added an extra .1 in the first mile
What would you do differently?:

train as if it were an A race for me! I've done this a few times, raced when I wasn't really taking it seriously and I still PR'ed and it makes me think "well what if I HAD taken it seriously?" that's how it was for my HIM last year. oh well, a PR is a PR. I am most proud of not slowing down (much) when I really wanted to. really, slowing down and walking for a bit doesn't make it hurt any less. it's pretty useless to walk in the final miles of a race. if I can keep myself from being tricked into thinking walking will feel good in my marathon in september, I am sure I'll have a much faster last 6 miles and a great new PR!
Post race
Warm down:

Scott was there at the finish line and he was hollering and cheering. What a great fan to have :) I had to keep moving so I walked all around City Park. Then back to the car to change out of my stink-o-licious clothes, then back to the marathon course to see if I could see any BTers finish.

Went down the block on 17th and watched for awhile from a coffee shop, but didn't see anyone until I made my way back to the beer area (hah of course).

Hung around for a while because it was such a nice day, but my stomach didn't want any beer or food or water or anything... I just wanted to go home and sit in an ice bath. So we went home, I iced, took a looong nap, and then ate lots of good food on my deck. What a perfect day!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not training enough, a 50+ mile ride the day before the race

Event comments:

I know the marathoners had some course problems, but our half course was easy to follow. The volunteers were great but I think the water stations were way too small.

All in all I'd say this was a well done event and I'd totally do it again. The early start was nice because we avoided the heat and then I had the whole day to be lazy!

I'd like to add that this race goes to show that my 98% vegan lifestyle (I still eat fish on occasion) is helping my training and I am getting all the nutrition I need. I have been eating this way for over 10 weeks now and I feel GREAT. Anyone that thinks vegan eating is too hard or that is will hinder their performance, I invite you to ask me questions or talk to me about it! I am so happy I have made this change in my life, and I feel like a million bucks!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-02-20 12:00 AM
Running
01:44:48 | 13.1 miles | 08m  min/mile
Age Group: 19/334
Overall: 182/1964
Performance: Good
Course: from city park, out on colfax going eastward, and back on 17th
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-05-20 12:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver CO
Subject: Colorado Colfax Half Marathon

2008-05-20 1:11 PM
in reply to: #1413805

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Colorado Colfax Half Marathon
Great job Bridgit.  You are a running machine.  Looks like you and Scott had an awesome time while he was out there.  I like what you said about slowing down.  It still hurts like hell, but your just going slower.  Something for me to think about.
2008-05-20 2:01 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Great race girl!  Awesome to see you at the finish.  Everyone goes through the same mental/physical struggle you did.  Way to keep it going in the tough miles.  Nice PR!!!!
2008-05-20 3:27 PM

User image

Dude I loved your race report! You were no Pu$$y that day, that's for sure! I do the same thing when it comes to the pain...way to get some hair on your chest and push thru it! You're vegan lifestyle has me thinking...I've been doing vegetarian for awhile, but still cave to fish and cheese. That's so cool it's working with your training...that was my biggest concern with converting! Good race chicka, see ya on Thurs!

Edited by OUTDOORSGIRL1978 2008-05-20 3:27 PM
2008-05-20 10:41 PM

Veteran
North Dakota
Great job!! Like you mentioned what if you would have been training as an A race!! Your just wicked good at running!! The day before the race I had looked at your log and saw that you did a 50+ mile bike ride and thought there was no way you were going to be able to make it the next day through the 13.1 miles, but you did Great Job!! Keep up the great work!!
2008-05-20 11:01 PM

User image

Expert

That's just freakin' awesome!!!  Great race!!! A PR without actually planning on it and a 55 mile bike ride the day before?!? 

I'll be using your race goal as mine for the entire season

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Colorado Colfax Half Marathon Rss Feed