Denver, Colorado
United States
Colorado Colfax Marathon
Total Time = 2h 18m 54s
Overall Rank = 1175/1964
Age Group = F 30-34
Age Group Rank = 211/434
Pre-race routine:

I had talked Mom into doing this race with me. She walked while I ran.

Woke up at 3:30, made a travel mug of tea, fixed PB & honey bagels for me and Mom, and drove out to City Park, eating as I went.
Event warmup:

Hit the porta potty, introduced Mom to Mark, Michelle, Susan, Ted and Bekka, and migrated through the registration tent to get into the starting corral. The announcer kept asking everyone to move out of the tent and into the shute, but there really was no where to go. We wove our way through the crowd, and finally got out of the tent.
Run
  • 2h 18m 54s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out a little fast, and had to reign myself in. I knew I was really undertrained, and this was going to be a long run. About mile 2, a lone trumpeteer was out playing for us.

I felt pretty strong as I got moving, and was good through mile 5, although the need to hit the portajohn started in early on. About mile 5.5, I decided to stop, as there was a short (4 person) line at the 2 portapotties. Mistake. For some reason, these people were taking forever, and this turned into a 4 minute (at least) stop.

Got moving again, and felt infintely better. Was crusing along until we got to the medical complex. A good friend of ours lost his battle with Leukemia at the UC Health Sciences Center, and had been in the hospital for quite a long time. Running past, I was a blubbering mess.

Then it was time to "pick up the pace." Coach wanted me to run the last 10k fast. Was in decent shape through the first 5k. Then my legs turned to lead. The next 2.5 miles were just at a snail's pace.

As I got closer to the finish, I was able to pick up some speed. I started picking people off--I was not going to let that lady with the fried-out, frizzy hair beat me. I was not going to let the guy in the jean shorts beat me.

As I passed the Mile 13 sign, I turned it up a bit more. But I'm pretty sure that sign was a little further than .1 from the finish, and my final kick hurt. Nearly puked 100 yards out from the line.
What would you do differently?:

Train.
Post race
Warm down:

Collected my food and goodies, talked to my old boss, who had run with her daughters, then went to cheer in everyone else. Got to see Dills finish up a stellar performance!

Mom was looking strong as she came through, and she grabbed me to run it in with her. She broke 4:00 for the first time since she broke both her wrists over a year ago! And at altitude no less! We found a spot in the shade to stretch, then headed out for some eggs benedict to celebrate.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training.

My performance was not horrible considering my longest run since I broke my arm March 1 was 1:20. Official pace is 6 seconds per mile slower than my pace was for the 10 mile race I ran a week before my accident--not bad.

Event comments:

This race is not as organized as it could be. There was no information on the website to indicate how frequently aid stations would be positioned on the half-mary course, and nothing to tell us what drinks/gels (if any) would be available. Hunted down a volunteer at packet pickup to get this information. On race morning they announced aid stations would be every 2 miles. But the first aid station was at mile 1.5, and from then on, they were all "around" 2 miles apart. Could have used an extra portajohn at each aid station (although there never seem to be enough).

There was plenty of food available at the finish, even for my mom, who is often left with little or nothing by the time she crosses the line. The police support was wonderful! Lots of cops along the course--one guy even blared the stereo on his squad car so we could have some music.

Overall, I would do this race again.

Last updated: 2008-01-02 12:00 AM
Running
02:18:54 | 13.1 miles | 10m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/434
Overall: 0/1964
Performance: Below average
My GPS had this course quite long at 13.65. Mile 1 9:13.88 ahr 163 Mile 2 9:56.21 ahr 172 Mile 3 10:03.15 ahr 173 Mile 4 9:45.68 ahr 174 Mile 5 9:34.78 ahr 173 Mile 6 14:06.12 ahr 165 (portajohn stop) Mile 7 9:56.2 ahr 176 Mile 8 9:16.93 ahr178 Mile 9 9:31.22 ahr 179 Mile 10 9:41.92 ahr 178 Mile 11 10:39.05 ahr 176 Mile 12 10:49.74 ahr 175 Mile 13 10:24.77 ahr 175 Remainder 6:11.07 ahr 180 (.645 miles) GPS has average pace at 10:10.
Course: Started in City Park with a loop through the park before heading east on Colfax. Turned north in between the UC Health Sciences Center and Children's Hospital. Then headed west on 17th Street to City Park. Most of the out was a gradual uphill. Which means the back should have been a gradual downhill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes