University of Oregon Triathlon Club
52F / 11C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 15m 18s
Overall Rank = 82/99
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 16/17
Pre-race routine:

We stayed the night at a hotel in Eugene. I got up early in the morning, took a shower to wake up, and made sure all my gear was ready before loading up the family and heading out to the Fall Creek Reservoir. At the lake, I got all my gear ready, set up T1/T2, hit the bathroom, and put on the wetsuit. I ate a banana on the drive out and didn't worry about much else for food.
Event warmup:

About 15 minutes before the start I went out and took a warm up swim. It really helped to hit the water before hand. I got over the cold/shock feel and was ready to go. Other than stretching a bit before putting on the wetsuit and the brief swim, I didn't do a lot of warm up.
Swim
  • 40m 4s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

I'm not sure why I was so slow on this swim. I know I'm a slow swimmer, but this was slow even for me. The water felt great. I was very comfortable the whole time. I did get off course and swam a bit wide on one leg, but I didn't think I was off enough to make such a bad swim time. I really (REALLY!) need to get faster on the swim.
What would you do differently?:

I don't know. I just need to become a better swimmer, then I can worry about doing things differently.
Transition 1
  • 03m 23s
Comments:

I didn't feel like I did too badly at T1. I thought I was a bit faster than 3+ minutes, but it didn't seem to bad. The end race results showed guys spending 35 seconds in T1... I don't even know how they got from one end of the transition area to the other in that time, much less take off the wetsuit and get the bike/helmet/shoes thing taken care of!

I need to get the wetsuit off more quickly.
Bike
  • 1h 25m 48s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 17.38 mile/hr
Comments:

I always have the same problem on the bike rides, and that's knowing that I have to run afterwards. I know, there's no doubt about it, that I'm a poor runner. I tend to think about that on the bike and always save some for the run. I know I could have hit the climbs harder, and not recouped on the downhills so much, but I really did need to keep some legs for the run.

Train harder! I'm doing much better than I even dreamed of at this time last year, but still, I need to get more endurance in my legs.
Transition 2
  • 03m 1s
Comments:

For some reason, my legs were numb coming off of the bike. I've ridden this far quite a few times and that has never happened to me. Anyway, I had to sit down to put on my running shoes, which slowed me down quite a bit.

Again, race results show some guys with amazing T2 times. One guy had 7 seconds? Seriously.. how do you even get from one end of the area to the other end of it in that time??? WTF???

I'm really not sure? Maybe practice transitions a bit more?
Run
  • 1h 03m 2s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

I just need to get better at running. In all honesty, I'm just not that good at it! Losing about 20lbs would probably help.

Let's all sing the chorus together, now... TRAIN HARDER!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit... drank some water... stretched way to little... and then ate what I could of the fairly good food they'd set up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Slothfulness???

Event comments:

A very small, very fun race in a wonderfully scenic area. Aside from the poor marking of the swim course, this was well put on. I'd recommend it to anyone who can make it to it.

Last updated: 2008-03-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:04 | 1640 yards | 02m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/17
Overall: 0/99
Performance: Average
Suit: Promotion wetsuit
Course: A two lap course in the lake. This loop was poorly marked. Two small buoys out in the water and one near the shore.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 03:23
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:25:48 | 24.85 miles | 17.38 mile/hr
Wind: None
Course: Is it possible for an out and back course to be uphill both ways? This course basically had two sections. The first was an approximately 13 mile loop and the second finished off the route with an out and back. The loops started out with a fast downhill, a steady climb, a steep climb, and then some flats before climbing back up the first down hill. The second half as an out and back that really did feel like it was uphill both ways. Over all a moderately difficult course.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 79
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:01
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:03:02 | 06.21 miles | 10m 09s  min/mile
Course: This was a very hilly course. It started out with a steep downhill to the dam and then right after the dam went into a climb of about a mile or so. Mile three was up and down with no flats. The turn around was back into the ups and downs, then a downhill, back across the dam and then the steep climb to the finish. Again, overall a moderately difficult course. (At least for me!)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-05-26 1:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Champaign, Illinois
Subject: Duck Bill Thrill

2008-05-26 1:22 PM
in reply to: #1424208

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Subject: RE: Duck Bill Thrill

Your honesty is brutal.   Don't get down on yourself for the time.  Sounds like the course was demanding with the hills.    Hills will always take the starch out of the legs.

Each race is a learning curve.  Next time you will be so more prepared in Knowledge of the event.  And with some weight loss and better training, you will PR! 

Good Race. 

2008-05-27 12:00 AM

User image

Master
State of Confusion
Nice job this weekend! Sounds like you've improved from last year!That is something to celebrate my friend! Pat yourself on the back.
2008-06-01 12:32 AM

User image

Master
Portland, Oregon

Dude!! You did an OLY!! That's WAY cool.    Slothfulness. ROFLMAO. That's FUNNY!! Ask anybody out there and they'd love to be a "slothful" TRIATHLETE!!!  Huge high five for the finish.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Duck Bill Thrill Rss Feed