United States
Team Magic
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 01m 43s
Overall Rank = 132/201
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 11/24
Pre-race routine:

I didn't have too much of a routine. I packed everything up the night before. Woke at 4:30 a.m. Got dress. Ate a peanut butter sandwich. Then went to pick up my nephew who was competing in this race also.
Event warmup:

I did some light stretching. Swimming is the weakest part of my tri so I elected not to swim as a warm-up. I wanted to save my swim energy for the actual race.
Swim
  • 04m 28s
  • 219 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

I have to get the award for the absolutely, positively worst swimmer in the tri award. My swim stunk...I mean it was horrible. I started out good in the first 75 yeards. I was stong and passed the person in front of me. Problem is I started too strong and got myself in some trouble. I was winded. Also, there were more waves in the pool than I expected. After getting winded I sucked in a big mouthful of water. This caused me to slightly panic. Not the type of panic where the lifeguard has to jump in the pool, but the type where my breathing becomes unorthodox. I am glad the entire pool was only 4 feet deep. If it were deeper I could have got myself into a dangerous situation. I am a certified SCUBA diver and I have always loved the water. I know this is a different type of swimming, but I feel comfortable in the water...except on long-distance swims.

I am so discouraged by my swimming. I have been training hard. I finally got where I felt comfortable swimming the 200 yards and then I have a set-back like this.

To make matters worse, I have a tri with a 1000 yards ows only 12 days from today. You want to talk about a person being nervous?
What would you do differently?:

I need to slow down my stroke and embrace the water.

Keep in mind that a smooth comfortable swim will make it easier for me on the rest of the course.
Transition 1
  • 02m 25s
Comments:

8/24 in transition.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 8.5 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

The course started out with a long slow down hill. This is where I should have picked up a good pace. Unfortunately I couldn't get my bike computer going. I wasted too much time playing with the computer the first 1/2 mile instead of taking advantage of the downhill run.

About 2 miles into the bike my legs were feeling very sluggish. The bike is my strong suit and I am stronger than many other beginners. I was really looking forward to making up some ground on the bike. It finally dawned on me what was the problem. Two days before the race I went on a ride with some friends. We rode the course of the Mach Tenn triathlon that I have on June 7. Instead of taking that ride easy I hammered it. I figured my legs had time to recover (48 hours) but I guess I was wrong.

There was actually one hill where I almost had to get off and walk up to the top. It covered a 200 ft. elevation change in under .5 miles. I set it in my mind that I could overcome any pain. I kept forcing myself to pedal, one revolution after another, and I made it to the top of the hill.

Although the bike did not turn out as well as I would have liked, I still feel that I made a decent showing on the bike course.

Make sure my computer was working properly before the race.

Make sure I properly tapered before the race.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I thought this transition went very well. I'm not sure I could have done things much faster. The race didn't time T2 but I wish they did I think I would have posted one of the faster times.

Nothing
Run
  • 21m 36s
  • 2 miles
  • 10m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

Exactly one month prior to this race I ran a 1/2 marathon. Judging by my performance in this race you would have never guessed it. The run was very much below par. I had to walk too much. My cardio was ok, but my calves tightened up on me making the run very difficult. I was wanting to run a sub 8:00/mile, but there's no way when you have to walk as much as I did.

I need to figure out a way to keep my calves from being tight from the transition of biking to running.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around talking with friends. Cheered on my nephew.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall, I am disappointed with my finishing time. I really thought 52 minutes was very doable. Although I have expressed some discouragement about my finish time, I was less than 6 minutes from placing 3rd in my AG. I can easily evaluate my race and tell where I could have realistically, based on my training, made up those 6 minutes. Probably the biggest thing would be to taper properly. I think I took this race too lightly. What I mean is that the distances didn't impress me because I am training for longer triathlons. I can easily do these distances so I didn't repect how much adding all 3 back-to-back can take out of a person. If I would have added a day or two more of rest or light workout I think my finish times would have been drastically lower.

On the positive side, this was my first tri and I completed it. I had a blast and I want to continue to compete in triathlons. I need to evalute some of my weaknesses and work to make them stronger, but at the same time I need to be proud of myself for setting a goal and accomplishing it.

Last updated: 2008-04-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:28 | 219 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/24
Overall: 0/201
Performance: Bad
Suit: No
Course: 2 laps in a 50 yard pool.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:25
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:00:00 | 08.5 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/24
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: The bike course was rolling hills with a couple of good climbs thrown in.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:36 | 02 miles | 10m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/24
Performance: Bad
Course: Out and back. The first mile is mostly downhill with a couple of small uphills. This would mean that the 2nd mile is mostly uphill.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-05-27 7:38 AM

User image

Expert
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
Subject: GJCC Memorial Day Triathlon

2008-05-27 7:53 AM
in reply to: #1425401

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Subject: RE: GJCC Memorial Day Triathlon
Good job on finishing your 1st Tri. It can only get easier from here!
2008-05-27 8:40 AM

User image

Master
Pulaski TN
Awesome job out there!! We will see ya at Mach Tenn!!
2008-05-27 11:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Jackson, TN
hey cbost - had a good time chatting with you while waiting to swim.

I enjoyed the race pretty well myself. Had a pretty fast swim and bike time for me personally. However, when I jumped off the bike, my calf cramped up bad and I ended up running really, really slow.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » GJCC Memorial Day Triathlon Rss Feed