General Discussion Race Reports! » Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
Capital of TexasTriathlon
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 37m 35s
Overall Rank = 243/1442
Age Group = 35-39 F
Age Group Rank = 9/105
Pre-race routine:

I got up at 5:00 and ate the normally toast with peanut butter and honey for breakfast. (Thanks to the Murphys for the toaster use) Headed to transition and after the transition area closed, I got a little dizzy and sweaty. I actually even vomitted which I have never done. I was either getting sick or I had a bad case of nerves. Todd was nice enough to hang out and encourage me. I was just hoping that once I got in the water that I would be fine.
Swim
  • 33m 39s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 03s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started in the 2nd row close to the bouy. The first 300 yards or so seemed a bit difficult but finally got in the rhythm. I tried just to get comfortable and swim my own race. There were plenty of people passing me but I was okay with that. I started to draft off a girl that I swam next too the entire first 750 then pushed it once I passed the last turn. I was glad to get out of the water and happy with a 3 minute improvement from the US Open.
What would you do differently?:

Need to work more on my stroke technique and with slamming my hand in the water.
Transition 1
  • 03m 5s
Comments:

Slid my wetsuit off my arms as I ran through transition to get to my bike. Got the suit off with a little bit of trouble, grabbed my sunglasses, put helmet on and took of with my bike. My bike was in the sand so my feet were covered with sand and I considered wiping them off but decided not too. As I was running barefoot with my bike, my Garmin fell out of my bento box, so I stopped, put my bike against the fence, went back and grabbed it and spent time putting it on my wrist.

Have my Garmin mounted in my bike before the race (figure out how it will fit with my arrow bottle too)
Bike
  • 1h 10m 40s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.10 mile/hr
Comments:

I did not think I would like the 4 loops but I loved it! The first loop I lost my Garmin off my wrist band. I had to stop, clip out and run back about 15 yards with my bike and grab it. I was not happy at all. Then I tried to eat my Cliff Bar and it slipped out of my hand. UGH! The 2nd loop I saw Jen and we rode together for awhile which was fun. Then I saw Todd and yelled to him and saw Blane on the third loop. The last loop I drafted off a GURU and was sad when the bike was over. I loved the course and enjoyed the ride. This was a 12 minute improvement over US Open!

Figure out the Garmin thing.
Transition 2
  • 02m 22s
Comments:

Did not get both my feet out my shoes in time so I had one shoe on and one off as I ran with my bike through transition. Kind of funny! Took off my helmet, put my running shoes on, put hat and race belt on and grabbed a sip of water, and took off.

Get other foot out of bike shoe earlier on the bike. Wasted time getting the other shoe off and hard to run lopsided.
Run
  • 47m 47s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

I began the run feeling great and by the first 1/2 mile that feeling was long gone! I turned the corner and saw a hill and thought "oh no, I am through". I played those games in my head to just get this finished. It was very motivating though to see my parents and my kiddos on the loop- that helped me try to push it more. My cousins and aunt were there as well supporting us. I got to see them 4 times and one of those times Amanda handed me some water from the station. The heat was miserable and at each water station I grabbed water and threw it on my head and drank gatorade twice.

Train more in the heat!
Post race
Warm down:

Ran back to Embassy Suites to find my parents and the kiddos cheering the runners on. Got big hugs! Saw Jen, Buehler, and then when Todd went by I ran to the finish line to meet him.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat - train more in the warm weather

Event comments:

This was a top notch race! I loved the swim, bike and run course. There were plenty of volunteers and the water stations were positioned very well. I missed the mile markers though and did not see any bike support. Will do it again next year! Loved it!

Last updated: 2008-04-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:39 | 1640 yards | 02m 03s / 100yards
Age Group: 34/105
Overall: 578/1442
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Out and Back in Town Lake
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:05
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:10:40 | 24.85 miles | 21.10 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/105
Overall: 347/1442
Performance:
Av HR 176 (very high for me)
Wind: None
Course: 4 loops
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:22
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:47:47 | 06.21 miles | 07m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/105
Overall: 125/1442
Performance: Good
HR average - 188 Max 194
Course: 2 loop
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-05-31 11:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2008-06-01 10:16 AM
in reply to: #1436013

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Subject: RE: Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance
You had a great race. Maybe you need to feel like crap before every race. Looks like the new bike agrees with you because that was a very fast bike split, even with the Garmin issues.
2008-06-01 8:26 PM

User image

Yay Jenny from the block!!!!! You are amazing...you'll get that 1st AG soon, I just know it. I expect to be included on your first podium speech...I was there in the beginning...me and Gabby that is! 8-)
2008-06-01 9:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco, Texas
you are awesome. great race. so fun to ride with you a bit on the bike course. great job jenny!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Capital of Texas Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed