United States
Piranha Sports
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 33m 6s
Overall Rank = 68/203
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 11/32
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:00 AM. Made breakfast and coffee for my wife and I. Loaded the car. Hit the road. 1 hr drive to Cascade... wife slept. Set up transition, used the facilities, stretched, did a very short warm up swim.
Event warmup:

Very short warm-up swim.
Swim
  • 12m 46s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 33s / 100 meters
Comments:

Was able to maintain freestyle the hwole way so that was an improvement. Time includes a 300 yd run up hill from the swim exit to the transition area.
What would you do differently?:

Fix my goggle right.
Transition 1
  • 02m
Bike
  • 51m 55s
  • 15 miles
  • 17.34 mile/hr
Comments:

Probably could've attacked the hills a little faster. Had a hard time catching my breath from the run up from the swim. The bike went right into a decent climb about 1 mile in. Also, should've tucked a little more on the downhills.

Tucked more and pedaled less on the DH's. Attacked the hills a little harder.
Transition 2
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

Probably my best transition to date. Took a short moment to stretch but otherwise all business. Walked a tiny bit approaching my rack spot.

Run
  • 25m 21s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

Fought a really bad side stich on the first loop. actually had to slow to a walk and try to stretch it out. Pushed through it on the second lap and probably ran a 7:00 min mile at an attempt to make up for it. I think the weird downhill at the start/finish played a part. I felt really good up to that point and was ready to hit the run pretty hard but i developed that stich on the second downhill. Sucks. Oh well.

Not sure. I fought that stitch pretty hard and I don't usually get that so I'm not sure what the deal was.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hills :-); Damn side stitch.

Event comments:

Great event. The course definitely had a lot of quirks but the staff did a great job! This was one of the most organized events I've been to.

Interesting Note: I emailed the RD on Tuesday morning and asked to switched from Clyde to 30-34 as I dropped below 200 lbs with my training. I was excited about that... first in 10 years. I probably really am a 200 lb-er though and especially after drinking water etc. Long story short... I would have placed third in clyde at this race.

Last updated: 2008-05-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:46 | 500 meters | 02m 33s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/32
Overall: 115/203
Performance: Average
Suit: sleeveless
Course: one loop
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:51:55 | 15 miles | 17.34 mile/hr
Overall: 53/203
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Hilly. Definitely more climbing then descending. Pretty fun course nonetheless.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:06
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:25:21 | 03.1 miles | 08m 11s  min/mile
Overall: 98/203
Performance: Below average
Course: flat except for big hills at start/finish. crappy to start off with such a weird descent off the bike and equally as tough at the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-06-01 11:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Pasadena, MD
Subject: Cascade Lake Triathlon & Duathlon

2008-06-01 11:50 AM
in reply to: #1436331

User image

Expert
Washington Court House, Ohio
Subject: RE: Cascade Lake Triathlon & Duathlon

Good job Scott.  I remember the discussion on whether you should run as Clyde or not.  Seems like it would have been OK to do Clyde, but thats behind you now.

If your like me, in about three days you'll feel the strongest you have to date, and you'll be wishing the race was on a Wednesday.

Keep up the training now.  You'll start setting tougher goals now that the first race is over.

2008-06-01 12:33 PM
in reply to: #1436344

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great job, Scott! I looked for you before, during and after but never tracked you down. Hope you had a great race and are recovering well. How'd your girl do?

Great meeting you by the way. We'll have to work on getting in some training together because i need waaayyyy more time in the saddle!

--Chris
2008-06-01 1:12 PM
in reply to: #1436389

User image

Veteran
Pasadena, MD

Thanks guys.  I felt pretty strong but I just couldn't get a good groove going.  I'm annoyed at my run because I could've run 7:30's w.out that stitch.  I guess the podium would've been a nice addition but oh well.  We didn't have our camera anyway :-)

Chris, nice meeting you too.  You kicked my arse today!  Not too shabby for your first time!  I looked at our splits and you even beat me on the bike!   Great job!   We'll definitely need to get a ride in sometime.  I'm no stranger to driving so I'd be more than happy to drive out to Frederick.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cascade Lake Triathlon & Duathlon Rss Feed