General Discussion Race Reports! » Milton Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Milton Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Milton, Ontario
Canada
Trisport Canada
14C / 57F
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 00m 26s
Overall Rank = 327/583
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 66/95
Pre-race routine:

Had a rough sleep the night before, and didn't actaully doze off till about midnight. Wokeup around 6:30am, had a nice shower and tried to calm my nerves - it didn't work. Had no appetite and couldn't manage the toast I'd made. Had some OJ, grabbed an apple and pita and loaded up the car.
Event warmup:

Short 1K run - other than that, nothing. By the time I arrived at the race I was relegated all the way down to the netherend of the parking area + I couldn't find a spot to rack my bike in transition. Ended up racking it in the overflow/overfow area - not good. By the time I had my wetsuit on, it was time to race. No swim in advance, which may not have been the worst thing.
Swim
  • 16m 53s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 15s / 100 meters
Comments:

This is an area that will continue to need diligent focus. I'm actually happy with the time because it was not that far off my pool times, and when we rounded the last bouy I felt like I was going nowhere into the current. I also managed to swim under a buoy rather than around it which gave me a fright for a moment as I had a giant orange thing on top of me while I was submerged.
What would you do differently?:

Warmup a little bit. Really glad about having read the baby shampoo in googles on BT, cause I avoided fogging which had become a recent problem.
Transition 1
  • 03m 25s
Comments:

This was slow - much slower than most of the field. I put on a vest over my tritop, and I'm glad I did cause I think I would have really shivered on the first 15K of the ride as it was into a decent wind. Had a bit of trouble with my road shoes, and had to take an extra few seconds to turn on my Garmin.

Be better prepared in T1. Garmin should have been on, and should have just dropped the wetsuit rather than trying to find a spot for it.
Bike
  • 1h 00m 18s
  • 30 kms
  • 29.85 km/hr
Comments:

This was a real eyeopener - cause I got smoked on the bike. I passed a handful of people, while the remainder of the field blew by me. The goal had been to keep the HR in the low 160's and conserve some energy, and that's exactly what I did - but I was just slow in comparison to everyone else. I thought I'd have done a bit better than this. Happy with the hills cause I passed people, but as soon as we were ont he flats they just belew by me again.
In trying to keep the HR under control and the exertion a bit lower I was hoping to avoid the dreaded stitch - but it kicked in a at the 10km mark. It was fine for the bike, but I knew I'd apy on the run.

Push a bit harder on the bike. I held back a little for two reasons: 1) To try and avoid a stitch, which didn't help 2) To keep something for the run. Which I did manage.
Transition 2
  • 02m 12s
Comments:

Screwed this transition up as well. Had some trouble getting my running shoes on, tried to change my Garmin over to run mode, and then realized I couldn't find the watch strap for my Garmin (which I still didn't find after the race). After fumbling around I just threw the computer in the bag and went off.

Be prepared - so easy, but I didn't do it.
Run
  • 37m 38s
  • 7.5 kms
  • 05m 01s  min/km
Comments:

Stitch, stitch, stitch. I was forced to walk after about 1km to try and get this worked out. Didn't happen so I just plodded along, and then by 3km it had become manageable. At that point I was able to start running better. Only got passed once for the whole run, and made up 4-5 AG spots in the last 3km. Really happy with how I finished the race, and missed my race goal by just 26 seconds..

Figure out what I need to do to avoid getting the gut wrenching pain of a stitch all the time.
Post race
Warm down:

None - just walked around a bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Stitch on the run, and willingness to go harder on the bike.

Event comments:

Good race - tough one to have as my first full Tri. But very happy with the venue.

Last updated: 2008-04-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:53 | 750 meters | 02m 15s / 100meters
Age Group: 74/95
Overall: 403/583
Performance: Average
Suit: Nineteen Pipeline
Course: Triangular in shape
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 61F / 16C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:25
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:00:18 | 30 kms | 29.85 km/hr
Age Group: 74/95
Overall: 403/583
Avg HR 166
Wind: Headwind
Course: Out & Back
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 88
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:12
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:37:38 | 07.5 kms | 05m 01s  min/km
Age Group: 43/95
Overall: 249/583
Course: Up hill the first half on the road and trails - very nice run, but tough on the way out.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-01 2:52 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario
Subject: Milton Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2008-06-01 3:28 PM
in reply to: #1436523

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Milton Triathlon - Sprint Distance
Great job - your times are excellent.  And you learned lots, I'm sure, from your transitions.  Enjoy the rest of the day!!
2008-06-01 4:02 PM

User image

Master
Franklin, TN
Way to go!
2008-06-01 6:42 PM

User image

Regular
Ontario
Godd job.  Those are very nice times.
2008-06-01 8:41 PM

Veteran
Idaho
Great Job, you beat me by 20 mins overall. We both had the same trouble with our Garmins. darn those things
2008-06-03 12:52 PM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

Congrats Triathlete!  That's a great job for the first time out, and you've just learned a lot that you'll be able to carry on to the next one! Smile  That's a great pace on the run - especially with the walking - you must have been smoking once you started feeling better!

Regarding the Garmin on the bike, you might just want to try wearing in on your wrist so you don't have to do any extra work in T2.

2008-06-03 9:45 PM
in reply to: #1441862

User image

Expert
Toronto

Ditto! What a great event you had! Congratulations!!!

I love the comment about swimming under a buoy. That put a smile on my face

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Milton Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed