Golden Bay Runners
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 08m 26s
Overall Rank = 133/243
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 25/27
Pre-race routine:

Normal stuff. Woke up at 5:45, had Oatmeal and a bannana. Got to the race at about 7:00, and signed up.
Event warmup:

Light stretching, mostly, and wandered around the starting area.
Run
  • 2h 08m 26s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

Another beautiful race in the SF Bay Area. This one loops around the hills surrounding Lake Chabot, a regional reservoir. They warned me that the first 7 miles were tough, and not to go to hard. The first 3 miles were pretty easy, and I was crusing along, enjoying the course.

Then... the hills started.

I made it up the first hill, without much problem, and got to mile 3 at about an 8min/mile pace. THEN, I saw the real hill. I immediatly made the decision that I wasn't going to destroy my legs on the hills, and started walking for the next mile and a half. At the top of the hill, the fast people who had been saving their legs for the big hill suddenly took off, so there was a stampede of runners passing me from mile 5 to mile 7, none of whom I saw again.

Anyway, the rest of the race was not as bad, but there still were a lot of pretty tough rollers. I *** coughed *** walked them all.

But for a LSD run, and hills, I'm happy with an average of a sub 10 min mile. When the results are posted, I'll be towards the botton, but it was a fun race anyway.
What would you do differently?:

MORE HILL TRAINING.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, and grabbed food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Need more hill training.

Event comments:

Another fun little race in the East Bay. I have a lot of respect for trail runners, because it was a tough race. But the race was fun and well organized. Water stations were every 2-3 miles. There was lots of food at the end.

Another good race.

Last updated: 2008-06-01 12:00 AM
Running
02:08:26 | 13.1 miles | 09m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 25/27
Overall: 133/243
Performance: Good
Course: Hills. Hills. More hills. If there was a course designed to kick my butt. This was it. Run over the fire roads of the Lake Chabot Regional Park. Fire roads in California tend to go straight up and straight down hills. The 1100 ft of elevation climb from the Garmin is really massively off.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-06-01 8:46 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Lake Chabot Trail Challenge

2008-06-02 1:18 PM
in reply to: #1437226

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Subject: RE: Lake Chabot Trail Challenge
Sounds like an...interesting run. I was thinking about attempting it next year, but I've always heard it's one of the tougher East Bay races. Seems to me you did a great job with it, considering your lack of specific training. Congrats!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lake Chabot Trail Challenge Rss Feed