General Discussion Race Reports! » Armed Forces Triathlon Championship Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Armed Forces Triathlon Championship - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log
Point Mugu, California
United States
25C / 77F
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 20m 14s
Overall Rank = 78/99
Age Group = Male
Age Group Rank = 64/70
Pre-race routine:

We were in Point Mugu as a team from Wednesday through to race day. Wednesday after we arrived, we went for a quick swim before calling it a day. Then on Thursday and Friday we did some training as a team and got ready to go. Slept well the night before and woke up ready to go. Liquid calories (about 300) for breakfast and then rode to the race site.
Event warmup:

After setting up transition, went for a decent warmup run and then into the wetsuit for a nice swim in the 58F water. Felt very good and ready to go.
Swim
  • 23m 50s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 35s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was a very rough swim start; the first 150m or so was lots of contact with everyone fighting over the same space. Since most athletes were going to swim around the same time, it took a while for things to spread out. I felt really good throughout the swim and was able to find several draft targets and move up some on the second loop. I bridged up to a group with about 200m to go as I wanted to be in transition with them. Also, on the final leg, a pod of dolphins swam right underneath me which was really cool.
What would you do differently?:

Start closer to the front to get a better draft.
Transition 1
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

T1 was solid; moved well and got onto the bike quickly. May have pulled too hard getting my feet out of my wetsuit. I was in transition with many athletes and was in a good position to get in a solid pack on the ride; was ready for a great ride.

Use less force pulling my feet out of the wetsuit.
Bike
  • 1h 10m 44s
  • 40 kms
  • 33.93 km/hr
Comments:

Just as I was putting my feet in my shoes my calves cramped up; right wasn't too bad but the left was terrible. As a result, I couldn't go with any of the groups and ended up riding solo for the first three laps. I tried to go with a couple of groups but everytime I pushed at all, my left calf knotted again and it was back to soft pedalling. The wind was terrible solo with averages of 23-24km/h but then 45-46km/h coming the other way. Finally, with just over a lap to go, I was caught by two other Canadians and a USAF athlete; I was able to hang on for most of the last lap and then the group broke up and two of us worked back to transition.

Not sure; wish I was with a group and my calves hadn't cramped. It was brutal to see all my expectations evaporate as the groups pulled away and I just couldn't go with them. There was a pack that I probably could have bridged to with several athletes I had been riding with all week who went under an hour for the course...
Transition 2
  • 00m 32s
Comments:

Very good; this, the swim and T1 were definitely highlights from the race.

Nothing
Run
  • 44m 5s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 25s  min/km
Comments:

Getting off the bike, I knew a solid run would see me meet my "bad day" expectation of 2:15; I headed out and knew that it just wasn't going to happen. The cramps that I thought I had finally taken care of on the bike were threatening to come back; anytime I upped the effort my left calf was on the verge of cramping and I just didn't have any the gear that I needed to run what I wanted. I just gutted it out and kept moving but definitely not the run I was looking for either.

Not sure; again, the calf cramping was the biggest issue.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cramping.

Event comments:

This was my first draft legal race and I was hoping to go sub 2:10 with a "bad day" goal of 2:15. I wasn't even close and it was incredibly frustrating to fall so far off of what I expected. Between the cramping and riding solo for most of the race, I guess I'm happy with a new PB for the distance but not the way I wanted to get it. The swim and transitions were solid but the bike and run were not even close to my potential.

Last updated: 2008-05-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:50 | 1500 meters | 01m 35s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/70
Overall: 51/99
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca Evo
Course: Two counter-clockwise loops
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 58F / 14C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:04
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
01:10:44 | 40 kms | 33.93 km/hr
Overall: 83/99
Performance: Bad
Wind: Strong
Course: 4 laps, almost totally flat
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:32
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:44:05 | 10 kms | 04m 25s  min/km
Overall: 69/99
Performance: Bad
Course: 2 laps of a mostly flat course
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-02 8:58 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: Armed Forces Triathlon Championship

2008-06-02 9:36 AM
in reply to: #1437840

User image

Westminster, CO
Subject: RE: Armed Forces Triathlon Championship
Shane,  sounds like a tough day but what a great experience!!  too bad about the cramping, but not suprising given all the traveling you did to get there and the significant change in climate.  you're a draft-legel veteran now
2008-06-02 11:55 AM
in reply to: #1437840

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Armed Forces Triathlon Championship
Still a good race effort despite the cramps.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Armed Forces Triathlon Championship Rss Feed