United States
Lake Mills Triathlon
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 22m 32s
Overall Rank = 238/648
Age Group = Clyde
Age Group Rank = 9/31
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:00. Probably the best night's sleep I have had before a tri. Got to bed a little after 9:30 and fell asleep fairly quickly where normally I wakeup a few times I really slept pretty solid until 3:50 - perfect. When I got up though I certainly wasn't fired up by any stretch. Tired, lathargic, etc.. My son had a baseball tourny this weekend and I am an assistant coach so spent a lot of time in the sun, standing etc. at the tournament. Daughter also had a swim meet and sitting in the aquatic center for hours was like sitting in a steam bath! Anyway, ate two pieces of peanut butter toast, a bannana and a cliff bar along with plenty of water and a bottle of gatorade on the way there along with a tall coffee.
Event warmup:

Got to the race, check-in went fast, nice amounts of room in transition. Chatted with Maggyruth and saw several other donks. Eventually got down to the water and swam some. Last year I got very comfortable with OWS but I think due to water temp my warmup wasn't so good. Breathing at first was difficult but kept at it which made it better. Wave 9 for me so lots of standing around then. Took a gel about 15 mins b4 I was to start.
Swim
  • 07m 7s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

It looked to me like the best strategy was to start way to the right. Everybody else seemed to go towards the center or even to the left which believe it or not the left side actually looked like might be more of an angle in than a straight shot. A number of peeps went pretty quick and I did somewhat too but due to the short distance I didn't try to draft much. I thought it would just be better to focus on swimming straight and getting the right pace. Rounded first bouy OK and then I actually seemed to be in pretty clear water until about 2/3 of the way to the 2nd buoy when I started catching the prior wave. No big deal though as there was plenty of room to navigate. Really tried to bring pace down halfway through as I didn't want to blow anything up at that point.
What would you do differently?:

The first leg I might have been drifting a little to the right. I suppose drafting could have helped but it's so short that it would be hard to find somebody to draft off of and once you do it's pretty much over. Really pleased with this swim though as the first OWS.
Transition 1
  • 02m 22s
Comments:

My wetsuit is quite tight on my legs so getting it off over my feet is quite challenging and this might have been worse than normal and maybe wasted about 5-10 seconds. I suppose having a jersey on under my wetsuit instead of having to put a shirt on would save time. I ran from the lake to T1 matt but then I walked to my spot which slows down a bit.

I can't think of too much else to improve on other than having bike shoes clipped in already.
Bike
  • 45m 23s
  • 15 miles
  • 19.83 mile/hr
Comments:

Well, I was certainly passing a number of people in waves ahead of me and got passed a few times. I felt like going much harder than this was really going to trash my run. I actually thought that even this pace might have been too much but I decided to try to maintain it and just hang on as best I could for the run. Bike on the way back seemed like it went by faster than I was expecting. Overall I am really pretty happy averaging close to 20

My training has some pretty decent didtance in it but probably not a ton of speed work so that might be waht is missing for a shorter race.
Transition 2
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

Yanks are probably something I should still invest in. I thought that I was actually going quicker than this.

Practice?
Run
  • 26m 16s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

Alright so I know to all you speed demons out there this isn't a big deal but I gotta say this run rocked for me! As I started the run I wasn't quite sure what the legs were going to be like. I did some bricks in training but not really enough yet at this point in the season. I got onto the trail and just thought keep a high cadence with a short stride especially early to get the legs going. Well, as I did that for a while I got to thinkin' that legs felt pretty decent, in fact, pretty awesome really. Even though the bike was out and back I didn't spot too many donkais as I'm in aero and not paying too much attention. Run is much different though and I saw Morey1, maggyruth, jmwebs and they all looked great! As I got to the Mile 1 sign and looked at my split of 8:42 I'm freakin' out a bit. I'm generally pretty happy at a tri race to be under 10m/m so either my watch is trashed, the mile marker got moved or most likely that even though the course is flat these converted railroad lines have slight inclines/decents that you may not even be aware of. So I'm thinkin' nice mile split, I feel good but be ready to have a harder return in because of the climb.

Got to the turnaround, took a quick drink break and got to thinkin' well, this doesn't seem that much harder. In fact, it doesn't seem really different at all! I got to the 2nd mile marker and holy crap, an 8:53! This just is not happening to me! Well, I felt I could actually pick it up a little bit and not after long I see the lake and could actually hear the finish line and came down the hill well and had a pretty nice clip all the way to the finish. Awesome run for me!

I guess might have been some left in the tank yet which is not usually the case for me. To be passing people and getting the splits I did was really just a thrill. Some people with Garmins said that the course was probably 3.0 even but still, I'll take it! I know, perfect conditions with nice shade on the course, flat, etc. all helped here but this was very encouraging to move like that, still feel good at the end of the race and get a time like that at any point was great fun and that feeling is why I love to race!
Post race
Warm down:

Took maybe 2 minutes to catch my breath and then I felt great. Got some water right away, found donkais and chatted. Found the food - breakfast burritos even - awesome along with oranges and bananas.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

One of the only races where I can look back and say, I probably could have pushed all three areas and been OK which tells me I might be able to go under 1:20 on that course in the future. Nutrition was good with two gels on the bike and a full bottle of gatorade too. With some work I could probably take 1 minute of my time with better transitions.

Event comments:

This race is very well done. Not crazy about open transition but no harm there. Great food afterwards. Didn't have to wait long to check in. Timing of the waves on the swim got delayed due to the course getting a bit crowded but that was a good decision. My preference would be for the swim to be doubled which gives me a better chance to make up some time.

Last updated: 2008-04-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:07 | 440 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/31
Overall: 31/648
Performance: Good
HRM Avg 156
Suit: Wetsuit
Course: Rectangular out, turn left and turn left again into shore.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:22
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:45:23 | 15 miles | 19.83 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/31
Overall: 0/648
Avg. HRM 164
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back on fairly flat surface with some small rollers.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:27
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:16 | 03.11 miles | 08m 27s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/31
Overall: 0/648
Mile 1 8:42 169 Mile 2 8:53 168 Mile 3.1 8:42 176
Course: Out and back on crushed limestone trail which used to be railroad tracks. FLAT!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-02 9:58 AM

User image

Expert
Mukwonago, WI
Subject: Lake Mills Triathlon

Great time at this race.  Nice seeing lots of people - especially donkais!

EEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWW!!!

Edited by wildee 2008-06-02 10:01 AM

2008-06-02 10:15 AM
in reply to: #1438087

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Lake Mills Triathlon
great job donkey!!!!!  nice run you had too!!  great splits!!!!
2008-06-02 11:38 AM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI
Congrats Mark...you really ROCKED that run.  I'm so happy for you.  The work is paying off!
2008-06-02 12:28 PM

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin

Good weather..great company, awesome race!!

2008-06-02 1:29 PM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Dang, man, you can really move your big self! Terrific splits across the board! Great job!
2008-06-02 1:34 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
Great race m'man!  Very solid run.  Nothing better than looking down at the watch and seeing some amazing splits going on.  Next year, lets see that 1:20!

2008-06-02 1:36 PM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Great race Mark. Incredible run. Amazing progress on that.
2008-06-02 7:52 PM

User image

TinkerBeth
Liverpool, New York
You should feel great!  Super job!
2008-06-03 10:25 PM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington