General Discussion Race Reports! » Lafayette Family YMCA Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lafayette Family YMCA Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lafayette, Indiana
United States
Lafayette YMCA
74F / 23C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 14m 5s
Overall Rank = 25/121
Age Group = 45-50
Age Group Rank = 1/5
Pre-race routine:

Got there early tried to figure everything out. Plenty of time. Only hitch was the tip of a big storm was catching us so we prepared to be delayed and then had to quickly jump into our wet suits because they decided to go ahead and set us off on time.
Event warmup:

Didn't really do any, though I think this was a mistake. I am uncomfortable with the swim so I should have spent some time in the water getting warmed up and focus on good long strokes and relaxation. Combine excitement with lots of people and it is hard to relax/breath.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 411 meters
  • / 100 meters
Comments:

I blew this completely. From the start I could not relax and breath. I panicked and just flipped over onto my back for almost the complete swim. I was not at all mentally prepared and I blew it. I was doing the backstroke thinking this sport is not for me, why am I doing this? If anything I did right, I swam reasonably straight despite not being able to sight breath. I was last in my wave out of the water and was passed by many in later waves.
What would you do differently?:

Warm up in the water.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

This transition went reasonably well, but obviously should get better
Bike
  • 00m
  • 14 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

I could not get into my big chain ring. There were many places where I was spinning at 23-24 mph at a cadence over 100 but had no where to go with gearing. With the wind, however there were some sections where it did not matter because I couldn't go over 18 anyway. Overall, I was passed by one but passed many.

Have my bike tuned up and run through the gears before I rack the bike (I did not really warm up my bike)
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

My soles of my shoes kept folding up under my wet feet as I inserted them.

Get fast ties or glue down insoles
Run
  • 00m
  • 3.1 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

Run went well. Legs felt dead for first half mile. I passed a few ~ maybe six, got passed by one young guy. I probably did not really put it all out there, but kind of was dejected by the terrible swim and gear issue on bike.

Prepare by doing some bricks.
Post race
Event comments:

The race director did an excellent job. Wish the results provided more than just finish time so that I could gage my progress.

Last updated: 2008-06-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 411 meters | / 100meters
Age Group: 5/5
Overall: 0/121
Performance: Bad
Suit: yes
Course: Out and back
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:00:00 | 14 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/5
Performance: Below average
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: Mostly flat with some rollers
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 100
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:00:00 | 03.1 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 1/5
Performance: Average
Course: rolling hills mostly
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-08 7:51 AM

User image

Fishers, IN
Subject: Lafayette Family YMCA Sprint Triathlon

2008-06-08 8:24 AM
in reply to: #1452170

User image

Extreme Veteran
Russiaville, IN
Subject: RE: Lafayette Family YMCA Sprint Triathlon
Greg, that was a great result, after that swim you must have really kick some butt, 1st in your age group and 25th overall, that's just plain awesome. Those were some rough conditions way to battle through everything.

Ron
2008-06-08 3:17 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Greg, Nice job! You may not have been happy with your gearing, but you still had a strong ride, especially considering the conditions!

2008-06-09 7:31 AM

User image

Expert
Washington Court House, Ohio

Hey Greg I think this is a pretty good first race.  If you have the split times add them so we can see how you did at each event.

Tough swim, but you finished it and the next one will go much better.

I read through all the talk on our mentor group first and thought you would have done worse than this given you feelings about the mistakes.  Best thing to do to fix that is enter another race and do better .  All in all though this was a good race.

If you have trouble shifting on the chain rings again (if ever), remember that most of the time one can just reach done and use ones hand to assist the derailleur.  I need to remind myself of the same thing, because I could not get done to my small chain ring for a short hill climb in my race.  Had I acted quickly I could have used my had to assist and climbed a bit fast (with less stress to the legs).

Good race!

2008-06-09 12:49 PM
in reply to: #1452516

User image

Fishers, IN
It was really nice meeting you at the race. My race report might have sounded a little worse than how I really felt afterwards. I survived the swim. Next time I hope I will handle the swim a little better. I did conquer the fear that had kept me away from a sport that I have wanted to compete in for a long time. I did have a great time and am so glad I took your advice regarding this one as being a great first race. The athletes were really nice/helpful. I was tired afterwards, but really felt like I had accomplished a lot.
2008-06-09 12:51 PM
in reply to: #1452516

User image

Fishers, IN
The gearing hurt me some, where I would have opened it up a bit more, but with the wind and such, it could have been much worse. There were a lot of places where I did not need anything more than I had.

2008-06-09 12:58 PM
in reply to: #1452186

User image

Fishers, IN
Thanks, you did great too. By the way, looks like you ran a great Boston (sub 3hrs). You do that on that course, and you are a stud! I can probably learn a lot from you, since I am coming from more of a running background and moving into this sport. Though my swimming right now kind of makes it kind of obsurd to think about it, but I also hope to move onto the big distance some day.

Greg
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lafayette Family YMCA Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed