Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Which Race Series do you like better? Subaru? HSBC? Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2008-06-08 4:17 PM

Regular
, British Columbia
Subject: Which Race Series do you like better? Subaru? HSBC?
So which race series do you like better? Do you prefer Subaru events or HSBC? Why do you like it better?

Also can we compare them in catagories like
Transition areas
Courses
Post race
Pre Race
Race awards
fan support
competition of athletes
Overall
any others?

2008-06-10 5:04 PM
in reply to: #1452570

Regular
Subject: RE: Which Race Series do you like better? Subaru? HSBC?
I actually like both series....I do like the tech shirts with HSBC which is now included in your registration fee in all their races which is new this year. Subaru charges $25 extra for one. I have far too many cotton tees from races. Too hot to work out in. Each have courses I like.....both events have a variety of levels of athletes but I think I see more first timers in the HSBC series. Nothing wrong with that....you have to start somewhere and I give everyone credit for just "tri-ing it". I like to compete in both and give support to each. I know how much time and effort goes into planning events like this. Location of event has alot to do with what I go in. Spectators are great at both...supportive......both adminstrations have been great in answering email or questions you have. So overall I would say both are great! I started with the OWTS (Ontario Women Triathlon Series)...they used to have more races but have gone down to 1 or 2 tris. They are a wonderful group of ladies all in it for the fun and experience! We are lucky to have the series options we do. Each is comparable in cost I think. For me it's effort...what I put into it is what I get out of it. I find all athletes, spectators, organizers and volunteers to be very supportive and it doesn't matter who is putting on the race. Good luck this season!

Edited by tristar1 2008-06-10 5:08 PM
2008-06-20 10:53 PM

User image

Expert
Toronto

Ditto! Both race organizers are great. They all have their own style but overall both of them do a great job of organizing and hosting the events. Really, we are SO extremely lucky in Ontario so have so many races during the summer and two professional organizers like these so I'm all for supporting both of them.

2008-06-22 8:55 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-06-24 7:25 AM

Master
Kitchener
I've done both series as well, and enjoyed them. They both are 'professional' at their business, which is what it is for them. As with all companies, they do some things well and some not so well. For me, the most important aspect is safety and fortunately they have OAT officials at all races making sure this is going to happen. Many times, I have seen and heard OAT officials giving both organizations a blast on some serious safety issues. HSBC is very cognizant of this and will cap races where size of venue will present problems. Sometimes, the local city officials mess things up unexpectedly with road construction - Gravenhurst last year. I think people who throw water bottles on the bike course should be disqualified.

Transition areas - good for both.
Transition times - HSBC is better for try-a-tri's in giving T1 and T2 times separate from bike
Courses - each series has interesting and challenging courses. HSBC has some shorter sprint races available early season which is a nice re-introduction to season.
Post race - Food is much better with HSBC. Trisport is usual boring stuff and even so they always run out by the time 50+ people get to finish line. Guess how hold I am.
Pre race - HSBC is a bit more diligent and informative on pre-race instructions
Race Awards - HSBC takes more time presenting awards; gives a more personal touch to the presentations; and if there are more than 20 athletes in try-a-tri age group will break awards into 5 year age groups.
Fan Support - great for both races
Competition - top notch for both races. You will see PRO at both and many 'past' top level athletes. I think there is a 'sense' that Trisport competition is stiffer, but I don't think it is. That may be because HSBC does offer some easy race venues for beginners such as Lakeside and Binbrook.

Personally, I would like to see more accuracy in measuring the distances from both organizations. We all end up doing the same distance, but it's hard enough to compare results year to year, even when they get it right.

HSBC has a nice touch with their post race newsletters to participants.

Volunteers are great at both races.

I am doing both series this year at the sprint and Olympic distance (first time for olympic) and know I am going to enjoy all the races. Best thing about tri's is making new friends.

2008-06-24 12:06 PM

Expert
Ontario, Canada

I agree that both series are VERY well run and we're fortunate in Ont to have 2 EXCELLENT series.  I personally prefer HSBC because it's smaller and more personable, I don't feel like I'm just another #.  They also have nice tech shirts, better food and John Salt, race director, always puts safety first.  Award photo is also a nice touch.  Subaru is clearly a bigger organization with more participants, so competition is usually stiffer.

Kevin, Welland should be fine.  It's in time trial format, not wave start.

2008-06-25 8:33 AM
in reply to: #1486595

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-07-06 9:14 PM
in reply to: #1485594

Extreme Veteran
Niagara Falls, Ont

latestarter - 2008-06-24 5:25 AM I've done both series as well, and enjoyed them. They both are 'professional' at their business, which is what it is for them. As with all companies, they do some things well and some not so well. For me, the most important aspect is safety and fortunately they have OAT officials at all races making sure this is going to happen. Many times, I have seen and heard OAT officials giving both organizations a blast on some serious safety issues. HSBC is very cognizant of this and will cap races where size of venue will present problems. Sometimes, the local city officials mess things up unexpectedly with road construction - Gravenhurst last year. I think people who throw water bottles on the bike course should be disqualified. Transition areas - good for both. Transition times - HSBC is better for try-a-tri's in giving T1 and T2 times separate from bike Courses - each series has interesting and challenging courses. HSBC has some shorter sprint races available early season which is a nice re-introduction to season. Post race - Food is much better with HSBC. Trisport is usual boring stuff and even so they always run out by the time 50+ people get to finish line. Guess how hold I am. Pre race - HSBC is a bit more diligent and informative on pre-race instructions Race Awards - HSBC takes more time presenting awards; gives a more personal touch to the presentations; and if there are more than 20 athletes in try-a-tri age group will break awards into 5 year age groups. Fan Support - great for both races Competition - top notch for both races. You will see PRO at both and many 'past' top level athletes. I think there is a 'sense' that Trisport competition is stiffer, but I don't think it is. That may be because HSBC does offer some easy race venues for beginners such as Lakeside and Binbrook. Personally, I would like to see more accuracy in measuring the distances from both organizations. We all end up doing the same distance, but it's hard enough to compare results year to year, even when they get it right. HSBC has a nice touch with their post race newsletters to participants. Volunteers are great at both races. I am doing both series this year at the sprint and Olympic distance (first time for olympic) and know I am going to enjoy all the races. Best thing about tri's is making new friends.

according to triathlon canada, section C.2.4 section i), this could happen.

but a official has to see it.....

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Which Race Series do you like better? Subaru? HSBC? Rss Feed