Ironhead Race Productions
82F / 28C
Overcast
Total Time = 56m 26s
Overall Rank = 50/274
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 8/23
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30, ate a bagel, threw the last of my stuff in the car and headed out for the hour drive south.
Event warmup:

After setting up transition and visiting with some folks, I ran about a mile or so. Went down to the water to check things out. It was real choppy and the wind was blowing, so I opted out of any swim warm up.
Swim
  • 08m 11s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 03s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was only my second OWS competition. First one was a complete disaster, so I was really hoping to fare better. I had a few additional practice OWSs, so I felt a little more comfortable and had reason to be optimistic that at least I wouldn't bomb. I also hadn't had any wave starts (first competitive OWS was a time trial start), so was curious to see how that would turn out. But there were only 30 or so in my wave, so it wasn't too crazy...the normal jostling and contact and other than one guy that tried to pull me under, it was fairly smooth sailing. Ended up sighting off of other swimmers for the most part, occasionally sighting off of buoys/shore to make sure we were headed in the right direction. There was a pretty significant amount of wind that created some decent chop out there; got a mouth full of water at the second turn buoy that made me lose my breath and caused me to flip over on my back for about 20 seconds. Drafting was non-existent...I'm still in survival mode out there as opposed to trying to find someone's feet to follow.
What would you do differently?:

Once I have a few more OWSs under my belt, I'll start looking around for like-speed swimmers that can pull me!
Transition 1
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

Swallowed some water on the swim and was a little out of breath when I first got out of the water. So it was more of a light jog in the surf and up the boat ramp. Still almost wiped out on some moss on the boat ramp. Near the top of the ramp, I was able to get my legs underneath me and pick up the pace to the rack. Shoes were clipped in, so I just threw on my race belt (RD requirement), sunglasses, and helmet and headed for the exit. Mounted smoothly but was a little wobbly slipping my feet into my shoes.

Had I felt better, I could have shaved a few seconds off at the beginning by running a little faster coming out of the water.
Bike
  • 30m 11s
  • 11 miles
  • 21.87 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a really good bike for me. I've only been riding for a year and usually am in the 18-19mph range. Given the short nature of the race, I hammered it about as hard as a I could the entire race. Probably too hard...paid for it on the run. But coming into the race, I wanted to put up a good bike split and felt like I did that. My wave for the first to go out in the swim and I think I was 6th out of the water, so the bike course was pretty empty. I think I passed one or two people and was passed by two or three...one of them from a later wave that posted a sick bike split at over 25mph. Needless to say he whizzed by me.

Probably hold a little back. The run was only two miles but I underestimated how much I'd need in the tank to run the two miles.
Transition 2
  • 00m 48s
Comments:

Was out of my shoes on the side of my bike at the dismount line. Got a shout out from one of the volunteers for a nice dismount. Headed to the rack and there wasn't much to do besides put the running shoes on (race belt was already on for the bike).
Run
  • 15m 48s
  • 2 miles
  • 07m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

This was clearly my worst leg of the race. I hammered it too hard on the bike, figuring I didn't need much to finish the run since it was only two miles. As soon as I hit the course, my calves started screaming. Thought about stopping a few times to stretch but powered through it. Felt better at about the one-mile mark and was able to stride things out a little more. Was hoping for a pace closer to 7:00/mile, but didn't have it in me. Also timed my finishing kick wrong...a lot of people were confused by the set up at the end of the race. I even scouted it out before hand and it looked like you rounded a turn and went straight to the finish line. But they hadn't yet put up tape/rope to direct you around a few more bands before the finish which added about another 1/4 or 1/2 mile. It is SO defeating to start your finishing kick only to be told you have longer to go.
Post race

Last updated: 2008-06-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:11 | 400 meters | 02m 03s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/23
Overall: 73/274
Performance: Good
Suit: Pearl Izumi
Course: Out from the shore for about 30 meters, then right-hand 90-degree turn parallel to the shore for about 160 meters, around turn buoy, and then back along shore to boat ramp.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:25
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:30:11 | 11 miles | 21.87 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/23
Overall: 46/274
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Main portion was across the dam of the lake, which made the winds more prevalent since we were riding in the highest area around with nothing to really shield the wind.
Road:  Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:48
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:15:48 | 02 miles | 07m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/23
Overall: 79/274
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-06-09 9:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Plano, Texas
Subject: Metroplex Sprint Triathlon

2008-06-09 12:51 PM
in reply to: #1453740

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas
Subject: RE: Metroplex Sprint Triathlon

Nice race.  Congrats. 

The finish line can be confusing with this race set up.  His races always finish that way, so I knew what to expect.

TJ

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Metroplex Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed