HFP Racing
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 55m 42s
Overall Rank = 101/167
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 10/17
Pre-race routine:

Spent the night in the campground before the race. Got up at 5:30am, unhooked the RV from the electric and drove over to the event site. Put on coffee. I ate a bagel with PB and honey and a banana. I also drank some coffee (I can't function without it). I took my bike to the transition area and got a sweet end spot. Then I went back to the RV and change into my racing singlet. Those of you who know me know that I'm a little pugy, so I look like 10 lbs of $hi+ stuffed into a five lb sack in this thing but, oh well.
Event warmup:

Stretched and tried to loosen up. Then I ran for about 5 minutes. Next it was off to the beach for a quick swim. I ran into fellow BTer Ron and my buddy snapped a pic of us.
Swim
  • 29m 40s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 59s / 100 meters
Comments:

The race started in waves, all of the sprinters went first. I have take a time out for a minute and give kudos to the folks who rescued a swimmer from the first bouy. He was in one of the early waves and stopped swimming as he got to the bouy. He held on and called for help. There was not a guard to be seen anywhere near him. At least two athletes swam out to the bouy and began bringing him in. Finally a guard from shore grabbed a board and swam out to the swimmer. They put him on and brought him back to shore. Great job guys.
So my wave goes off and we hit the water. I was a little psyched out for some reason before the swim. The distance around the bouys looked really long. I did ok, I caught a few of the people who went in the wave before me, but my navigation was off and I veered off course several times, costing me time and energy.
What would you do differently?:

Sight better.
Transition 1
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

This was a good T1 for me. Swim cap and goggles are off before I hit transition, then I sat down on the ground to put my socks and shoes on. Then stand up, grab the helmet and glasses and go.

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 19m 46s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.69 mile/hr
Comments:

I had a really good bike with just one little hiccup. It was a two loop course, mostly flat with two big hills at the end of each loop. The first lap was uneventful, I started a little slower to get my HR down after the swim and just cruised. During the second loop the wind picked up and really made the last miles of the bike hard. Also, I had switched my bike bag from the large one I carry during training to a smaller one I use for races. It is too small to fit my new pump so I attached the pump to the outside of the bag. During the second lap the top of the pump came off and hit the ground at 23.5mph. So I stopped turned around and picked up the pump top. The entire process probably cost me two minutes.
I rode this course for a race last year. I rode it 8:20 faster this year.

Secure my pump better, get a binto box for my nutrition.
Transition 2
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

Best. T1. Ever. I took my feet out of my shoes while riding, and rode the last 20 feet or so out of the saddle on one side of the bike. I hit the ground running, racked my bike perfectly, helmet off, running shoes race belt and hat on I was off for a very hot run.

Nothing
Run
  • 1h 03m 58s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a Hot, Hot, HOT run. The course offered no shade at all and it was 90+ degrees. I got off the bike with fairly rested legs. But it wasn't the legs that were the problem. It was the heat. I stopped and walked often, took water at every aid station and tried to keep a steady pace. But I'd drink the water and it would take several minutes for my body to process it. In the meantime it would just slosh around. It didn't make for a good run. There were at least three people I saw who needed medical attention for overheating during the run. I saw alot of people walking. About mile 4 I ran for a short time with a lady who was keeping a slow and steady pace. We talked for a few minutes and she told me to go ahead since she was slowing down. I asked her her name and me, my wife and friend cheered for her at the finish line. I crossed the finish line in almost 64 minutes. Nine minutes slower than my goal and over 1 MPM slower than my 1/2 mary time in April.

Run in hot weather more often.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank some water, ate some race food. Got back in the water to cool down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat.

Event comments:

I have to thank my jock straps; my wife, kids and friend Jeremy. Jeremy was supposed to race with me but injured himself the day before laying shingles on his buddy's roof. But he still made the trip from Columbus race morning to support me. He took a bunch of great pictures. Thanks guys!

Last updated: 2008-06-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:40 | 1500 meters | 01m 59s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/17
Overall: 0/167
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:24
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:19:46 | 24.85 miles | 18.69 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:55
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:03:58 | 06.21 miles | 10m 18s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-06-09 4:39 PM

User image

Master
Ohio
Subject: Deer Creek Triathlon - Olympic

2008-06-09 5:08 PM
in reply to: #1455168

User image

Liberty Township, Ohio
Subject: RE: Deer Creek Triathlon - Olympic
Nice race! Our times are very similar in all events. The heat during the run was absolutely brutal. It had me walking before I reached mile 2. Did you think the swim was short? I had my fastest swim time ever with minimal swim training. Looks like everyone had fast swim times. Anyway, great job under tough conditions.
2008-06-09 5:14 PM

User image

Expert
Awesome job, especially so given the heat. Congrats!!
2008-06-10 8:07 AM

User image

Expert
Washington Court House, Ohio

Good job David.  Really good improvement on the bike.  Good T2 time.  The final run was just brutal.  5K was plenty for me.  A 10K in that heat (your run was probably about 45 after mine too) slows everyone down.

I would have left the pump and hoped I could find it later.

2008-06-10 1:38 PM

User image

Master
Ohio

I'm posting again to see if I can get this pic to upload.

On edit: Horray! it worked. This is me and Ron before the race. I didn't realize what a BT stud Ron is until I got back home and got online. Thanks Ron for the great site!

David

Edited by David tri's 2008-06-10 1:41 PM

(DSC02340 resize.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
DSC02340 resize.jpg (17KB - 27 downloads)
2008-06-20 11:16 AM

User image

New user

Hey, David! Talked with you after the race at the picnic table. Actually, i was on the ground, in the shade and my friend Tom was on the table.
And you're right...it was a hot hot HOT run. I've been getting out for mid-day runs to better prepare for future races, but now the humidity is miraculously gone!

Great job and I'll see ya 'round.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Deer Creek Triathlon - Olympic Rss Feed