5430 Sports Corp.
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 24m 45s
Overall Rank = 115/1055
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 12/66
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:30am after getting the kids to their hotel last night at about 11pm and stopping at Safeway for groceries. Ate a bowl of cereal and a bagel, and made it to the Res by 5am to pick up packet and help Jodee unload the trophies.

Enjoyed meeting Coach Ricci's nephew and niece, both of whom demonstrated their genetic triathlon ability by starting out with their wetsuits on backward.
Event warmup:

Ran two miles, and swam just a wee bit. Peed in my wetsuit early, which was delightful. Probably should have done more, but I was enjoying socializing way too much.
Swim
  • 15m 10s
  • 805 meters
  • 01m 53s / 100 meters
Comments:

Started in "row" three, a little to the right. Got the tar pounded out of me, and just wasn't feeling this swim. Stopped breathing on alternating sides immediately, and only breathed to the left. Fell into the groove of the swim after about 6 minutes. Thought that I took a pretty direct line, but the time was pretty average for me, I think.
What would you do differently?:

Perhaps warm up swimming a bit more.
Transition 1
  • 00m 42s
Comments:

Second-fastest T1 in age group, 18th fastest overall. Tried the "Ricci Bike Hop Nard Knocking" method of mounting a rolling bike, and it pretty much worked. I was wobbling around on the bike to start, and a guy shouted, "You almost hit me!" For some reason, I told him to basically "Shut up and race," and just left him behind.

Actually run someone over maybe? This really was a strong transition.
Bike
  • 45m 6s
  • 17 miles
  • 22.62 mile/hr
Comments:

This turned out to be a good bike ride. Pleased to be just under 23mph. I don't think that I had much more in the tank for this ride today. I really think that I passed far more people than passed me, which is fairly unusual for the bike. I think I'll keep this one.

Probably should have brought the aero drinky thingy rather than a water bottle on my drop bar. Also, should have had plain water instead of Gatorade Propel.
Transition 2
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

22d fastest T2 in age group, 516 overall. This was a slower transition because I had to tie my shoes. Also, John Eliot's bike was racked across from mine, and the flimsy rack kept dropping his bike out, so I had to re-rack his bike three times. Tore my race number, as usual, trying to put it on, and stuck foot in wrong.

Definitely should have had zip laces on shoes, tossed John's bike into the field (that's what he gets for arriving back in T2 ahead of me!) and maybe use some tape on my race numbers.
Run
  • 22m 21s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

This was an easy pace for me, but for some reason I just didn't feel comfortable taking it up a notch. I was passed in the final stretch by a guy in my age group, which kicked in my nasty after-burners, and I must have put the last 100 yards down at around a 5:20 pace to re-pass the guy and stay ahead of others.

Nice to see Scott Binder & John Eliot ahead of me on the run, and ultimately get passed by Frank (who started five minutes later). Lots of D3 jerseys out there, although I may have been the only one in the one-piece pecker unit.

I probably should have run a bit harder, particularly in the first mile.
Post race
Warm down:

Finished and saw a ton of friends. Had a little food and waited around to see other finishers. It was great to see Scott Wylie and Margie Gart cruise across the line. Really just fun to see so many people that I have met over the years at these races now. Everyone seemed to be very happy, having a great time.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think that the last month in my personal life took quite a toll on me. Also, flying in late the night before and getting very little sleep didn't help.

Event comments:

I'm very pleased with this race. Hard to believe that I took about 5 minutes off my time and that I'm faster at 46 than 45 (which was faster than 44). Nice to see that something other than my spare tire and hairloss is making forward progress.

Barry and Jodee are simply wonderful, and put on an incredible race. It's particularly gratifying to see so many people participating who really are new to the sport.

This was the first race that I've attended where I was totally calm, thinking, "OK... I've done this before... a lot... so this is going to be pretty straightforward." I've never been that calm before, and it helps to be so relaxed. Looking forward to the next one!

Last updated: 2008-01-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:10 | 805 meters | 01m 53s / 100meters
Age Group: 28/66
Overall: 391/1055
Performance: Average
Suit: BlueSeventy
Course: Cute little counter-clockwise square heading out into the sun.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:42
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:45:06 | 17 miles | 22.62 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/66
Overall: 83/1055
Wind: None
Course: Counter-clockwise semi-circle around the Boulder Res area.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:27
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:22:21 | 03.1 miles | 07m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/66
Overall: 153/1055
Course: Out and back along the dam road at the Boulder Res.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-06-15 5:30 PM

User image

Denver
Subject: 5430 Sprint Triathlon

2008-06-17 1:41 PM
in reply to: #1467799

User image

Westminster, CO
Subject: RE: 5430 Sprint Triathlon

nice race!  congrats on your improvements from last year!  keep up the good work!

...and what's your T1 secret?

2008-06-17 6:02 PM
in reply to: #1467799

User image

Expert
Denver
Subject: RE: 5430 Sprint Triathlon
So I'm curious as to which part of the "Ricci Bike Hop Nard Knocking" method worked. Was it the bike hop or the nard knock? I'm hoping for the former. Great job out there with the continued improvements in the last two years.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 5430 Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed