HSBC Triathlon Series
24C / 75F
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 02m 47s
Overall Rank = 132/209
Age Group = Women 40-44
Age Group Rank = 5/10
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:00, showered, had breakfast (bagel with PB, nectarine, yogurt and green tea). Since my bag was ready before going to bed last night, the only things to add in there was my nutrition stuff. I left home at 5:15, got to the site at 6:45.

I had three fruit bars with water upon arrival while setting up my transition spot. I then went to pick up my race kit, got body marked and proceeded to walk around, all the while sipping water. I had about 4 oz of HEED/Gatorade 45 minutes prior to the start of the race.
Event warmup:

A lot of walking around to get familiar with the site, a 250 meter warm up swim and stretches.
Swim
  • 18m 54s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 31s / 100 meters
Comments:

I did have a great swim after all! Navigation, sighting, rounding of buoys... all went well execpt that I wasn't drafting a lot.

The water was warm enough not to swim with the wetsuit on, amen to that!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

Not a lot of comments there but I could have been a few seconds faster considering I did not have a wetsuit to remove. I did not clip my shoes on my pedals while setting up my transition spot as I did not practice prior to this race.

Speed things up a little and practice mounting the bike with the shoes already clipped in.
Bike
  • 55m 51s
  • 27 kms
  • 29.01 km/hr
Comments:

Great ride for me, with the training wheels at that! I can only imagine how much faster I could have been with my race wheels.

I took the Trek E7 with me today and was mostly riding with the big chainring. I felt fast, even on the few hills and winds we had to contend with.

Brad and Jackie, I can hardly wait for you guys to hand me over those Reynolds Assault race wheels! :)
Transition 2
  • 01m 37s
Comments:

I backed out of my decision to ride with my feet on the top of my shoes because I did not practice prior to this race.

Practice the above.
Run
  • 44m 55s
  • 6.5 kms
  • 06m 55s  min/km
Comments:

I am not a trail runner to begin with. There were too many terrain changes and it was very difficult for me to maintain a smooth cadence. Furthermore, I have a history of ankle inversions on uneven surfaces therefore I had to be extra cautious with my run.

Practice running on different types of surfaces.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking around, stretched, drank chocolate soy milk for recovery while packing my bag and proceeded to the post-race food table.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The run course.

Event comments:

The Binbrook Conservation area is a great venue, the HSBC race organization and volunteers are great as always. It was warm and sunny, the water temperature was awesome and the bike course is fast although a bit rough. I would love to race there again next year but may have to pass as that type of run course is definitely not my cup of tea. I will probably opt with Guelph which usually takes place the following week.

Last updated: 2008-02-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:54 | 750 meters | 02m 31s / 100meters
Age Group: 3/10
Overall: 93/209
Performance: Good
Time includes a 100m run to T1. It felt a lot longer than that for some reason.
Suit: Birthday suit with trisuit covering it, hehehe!
Course: The water is warm and clean. The course is Triangular in nature with the buoys on the left. The swim exit is on the beach and there is a 100m run-up to the Transition Area.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:32
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:55:51 | 27 kms | 29.01 km/hr
Age Group: 3/10
Overall: 100/209
Performance: Good
Time includes run from T1 to mount line.
Wind: Some
Course: The bike course was flat and fast and on open, but quiet roads, roads. The first/last 500m of the course was on the access road within Binbrook Conservation Area. There were several turns in each course as it rounds the outskirts of Binbrook Conservation Area. As the area is open farm country, there was some wind with which to contend.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:37
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:44:55 | 06.5 kms | 06m 55s  min/km
Age Group: 7/10
Overall: 155/209
Performance: Bad
Course: The run course is on a combination of surfaces: grass, hard packed dirt, pavement (might as well omit that one, about 250m out of 6.5 km) and light trails. The course has a number of turns.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %1%
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-15 5:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Richmond Hill, Ontario
Subject: Binbrook Triathlon

2008-06-15 6:15 PM
in reply to: #1467818

User image

Expert
Ontario, Canada
Subject: RE: Binbrook Triathlon
Great job, Nathalie, excellent swim and bike.  Wish I were there racing with you, esp with that warm water. 
2008-06-16 12:38 PM
in reply to: #1467818

User image

Master
Kauai, Hawaii
Subject: RE: Binbrook Triathlon
Great job! You actually have warm water in Canada?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Binbrook Triathlon Rss Feed