Set-Up, Inc
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 39m 48s
Overall Rank = 256/443
Age Group = Clydedales
Age Group Rank = 16/31
Pre-race routine:

Peanut butter and marshmellow creme on a bagel while driving to the race site. I did learn from last year's debacle of trying to pump up my bike tires with just the light from my watch to read the gauge. Pumped them up before I left home this year.
Event warmup:

Nada--why don't I ever remember that I'm supposed to warm-up? Oh yeah, 'cause I'm too busy socializing and doing interviews (did one with the local newspaper and one tv station this morning) AND YES HEATHER--That does make me a rock star :)
Swim
  • 16m 40s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

Crappy swim. Just wasn't feeling it. My navigation was probably a little better than normal, but I was 2 mins slower than last year. Haven't been in the pool much for the last 3 weeks
What would you do differently?:

Ride a jet ski :)
Transition 1
  • 03m 25s
Comments:

Pretty decent....long run from the swim to the ta
Bike
  • 48m 23s
  • 17 miles
  • 21.08 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt pretty good on the bike. One stupid mistake though--I always take at least one gel on the bike and left all 4 of mine sitting on my towel in the TA. Could tell that I was starting to run out of gas towards the end of the course. Overall, pretty happy with the ride.

Ride even faster
Transition 2
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

Just about busted at the dismount line. I was wearing my shoes which were damaged at OTM 2 weeks ago. The clips on the bottom of my left foot were really scraped up and they didn't want to let loose when I tried to unclip. Almost had a nice wipeout if front of a big crowd, including the photographer from the newspaper.
Run
  • 29m 19s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt really good for the 1st 1/4 mile. Took a gel at T2 but I was gassed. First mile was pretty good, second mile was crap. Started feeling a little better during mile three. Really found a high gear for the last 1/4 mile or so. Passed about 10 people in the home stretch.

Run faster...try to be more like Matt & Jon
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out with the QCTC crowd. Really enjoyed us having a tent and somewhere to meet up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Me

Event comments:

Enjoy this race, just wasn't thrilled with my performance. Mentally and physically, I just wasn't checked in completely. I know that I could have done better BUT at least I didn't get hit by a car during this race ;)

Last updated: 2008-02-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:40 | 820 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 12/31
Overall: 194/443
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Simple out and back course
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 92F / 33C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:25
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:48:23 | 17 miles | 21.08 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/31
Overall: 146/443
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Single loop, 2 lane roads, similar to the MAP course but with 2.2 miles each way on Sample Rd (complete with 5 speed bumps)
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:02
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:19 | 03.11 miles | 09m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/31
Overall: 0/443
Performance: Average
Course: Mostly trail run, with some brief sections on the paved road. Lots of up and down, gravel and sand.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-16 7:32 AM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
Subject: Tri Latta

2008-06-16 2:45 PM
in reply to: #1468373

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
Subject: RE: Tri Latta

Nice work Eric!!!  I had a similiar incident at the bike dismount - I came in easy popped my left foot out no problems - stopped and tried to get my right foot unclipped and the sucker would not come off!!  I was shakin my head and I could hear the crowd going "oh no"...lol...then someone yelled " roll your ankle"..and then I got it out!!  LOL  I felt like a putz...but..I did have a good ride!!  My swim was sucky ...but screw it...I chalk it up to rookie OWS...hehe.  I was happy with my run as well...I could have pushed a lil more but I felt good about mile 2 and just wanted to cruise into mile 3...but I could tell I was on point for about a 30 min...so..it was good run for me.  Had a beer with Jeff after the race...well..several..!!  and hung out with Alice and the QCTC crew that was there on Sunday....Jeff and I started off in the same wave for the race...he beat me by about 7 min....damn swim!  I will have all the details in my RR ...anyway...just wanted say NICE JOB man!!!  it was a fun day...we had a good turnout at the tent as well....GyGy was our PR person that day..she was havin a ball chattin with folks as they came over to the tent..Alice was gabbin it up with everyone and she really provided some comic/inspiration for me during the race   

Edited by papahawk 2008-06-16 3:02 PM
2008-06-17 7:25 PM
in reply to: #1468373

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
Subject: RE: Tri Latta

Good job!  Missed you Sunday, but I guess you can have a rest day after a race, if you really want to. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri Latta Rss Feed