Mideast Multisport
66F / 19C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 29m 58s
Overall Rank = 59/504
Age Group = Corp Chal
Age Group Rank = 3/29
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:30... Ate my normal breakfast, had a cup of coffee and woke up the wife. Headed out at 5:30 and were at the venue by 6:00.

They separated the corporate challenge group to make check in easy... They had the chips ready but they forgot to get ankle staps. Set up transition... Talked to a couple of people. Finally got my chip and listened to the prerace meeting.

After the meeting it was time to head down to the swim start
Event warmup:

I entered the water a little further from the start point and swam to the start... So about 200yrd. Again the start was delayed... so I treaded water for about 3 min.
Swim
  • 13m 57s
  • 800 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started far left in the deeper part of the swim... Since a lot of beginners do the race I wanted to stay out of the crowd. Started okay with bi-lateral breathing... That fell apart but I did not stop. Navigated about every 3 to 4 strokes. Moved around people.

I definately could have done a lot better but leading up the race I really did not swim that much... or at least as much as I should have.
What would you do differently?:

Swim more often... Get my butt to the pool.
Transition 1
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

Good transition. Cap, goggles and earplugs off during the run. Socks on, cycling shoes on, gel in pocket if needed, glasses on, helmet on, buckled, grab bike and go.

Keep the bikes on the shoes and learn the "flying leap"
Bike
  • 49m 3s
  • 17.2 miles
  • 21.04 mile/hr
Comments:

Clipped in and went. The goal was to try and chase down the girl from our company that does Ironmans and was part of the relay team. We played leap frog most of the way along the course. She beat me in at the end. Passed a bunch of people who must have been doing the Du since we were the first wave. Got passed a couple of times total.

I drank about half the bottle of gatorade that I had on the bike. Looking back I should have finished it. No gel, just didn't feel like I needed it.

I was very impressed this year. They had 3 race officals on Police bikes patrolling the course and writing down infractions. I saw a lot people get busted. One guy also kept on crossing center. I just couldn't believe it.

This is the fastest I have rode in a race. It was hard but felt good.

Continue to make progress on the bike. Hold back a little more for the run??
Transition 2
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

I was going to flying leap off the bike... But remembered one shoe was still clipped in... So thankfully I did not try. Just got off like normal. Ran into transition. Took off shoes, slid on running shoes (I love YANKS!), Put on race number, took off helmet... Ran out.

Flying leap... Other than that I am getting better with transitions.
Run
  • 24m 46s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

I definately pushed the pace hard on the bike. Probably too hard because the body did not want to run off the bike. The legs were heavy and my right calf cramped pretty badly in the first half mile. By mile 1 to the turn around a side stitch started flaring up... It was gone my mile marker 2 and I just kept on pushing as much as I could. I really did not have much more breath to keep the legs moving.

I do not like the course one bit. It begins along the beach on concrete partially covered in sand. Then onto the grass. About half of the course is on grass. It was a lot better this year since it did not have gigantic rain run off divits but it still was uneven, muddy and wet. Just does not make for good running for me.

No stopping to take in water... It is 5k... Not really worth it in my opinion.

Maybe not push so hard on the bike so I can have some juice for the run? Run more? Get faster?? A lot of stuff.
Post race
Warm down:

Caught my breath. Walked to the feed tent. Drank some gatorade and water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Running ability. I just do not have much speed on the run to place FOP. I need to get run speed into the low 7s or 6s.

Event comments:

The race is getting a lot better... The patrols on the course... Better swim marking... I just really hate the run course.

Last updated: 2008-03-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:57 | 800 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/29
Overall: 72/504
Performance: Average
Avg 166, Max 179
Suit: LG Tri Two-piece
Course: Right along the beach.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:19
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:49:03 | 17.2 miles | 21.04 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/29
Overall: 55/504
Performance: Below average
Avg 161, Max 176
Wind: None
Course: Loop around Alum Creek
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:55
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:46 | 03.1 miles | 07m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/29
Overall: 90/504
Performance: Below average
Avg 161, Max 176
Course: In the park, part on trail, part on asphalt, part along the beach
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2008-06-16 10:25 AM

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
Subject: Wendy's International Triathlon

2008-06-16 12:11 PM
in reply to: #1468846

User image

Expert
Washington Court House, Ohio
Subject: RE: Wendy's International Triathlon

Great improvement again from last year.  In a year or two you'll be at or near the top.

Very nice meeting you there.  Your wife appeared very happy for you success.  Did you read my comments about the time discrepencies?  Check our mentor forum.  If Jeff Sheard is correct (though I don't see how he could know for certain, the T2 time was double counted so your overall time can be reduced by the T2 time).

2008-06-16 2:08 PM
in reply to: #1468846

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great job, Justin. Way to stick it out on the run after pushing so hard on the bike. I've only done one tri but I can imagine that finding that perfect balance between really pushing on the bike and having something left for the run is pretty tough to find. Oh and as you said, get your butt in the pool ;-)
2008-06-18 7:20 AM
in reply to: #1469182

User image

Expert
Washington Court House, Ohio
DieuEtMonDroit - 2008-06-16 1:11 PM

Great improvement again from last year.  In a year or two you'll be at or near the top.

Very nice meeting you there.  Your wife appeared very happy for you success.  Did you read my comments about the time discrepencies?  Check our mentor forum.  If Jeff Sheard is correct (though I don't see how he could know for certain, the T2 time was double counted so your overall time can be reduced by the T2 time).

I stated the orginal T2 problem wrong, and since then have more information anyway.

The total times are correct, but the T2 time was also included in the Bike time.  So our bike times can be reduced by the T2 time.   If you do that, you will see that the new bike time added to all the other times equals your overall time.  That should take you to over 21MPH.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wendy's International Triathlon Rss Feed